Quitting pop.

Options
124»

Replies

• ataraxial
    ataraxial Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just drink unsweetened tea water and milk now =) don't even crave pop that bad anymore
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I'd like to know the biological mechanism that makes you blind in all caps from withdrawal of non-addictive substances.

If you want my guess, she suffered from migraine headaches which were kept at bay by caffeine.

That's my theory also. I have had vision loss from a migraine and I use caffeine to decrease the frequency of migraines.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    The thing that finally broke the habit for me was switching to tea. Specifically, Lipton Diet Green Tea with cirtus.

This made me laugh out loud. My mom was so addicted to Diet Coke, she once went BLIND from withdrawals because the conference she was at had no vending machines and she forgot to bring her own, and this is exactly how she kicked soda. She likes the berry flavor.
    (Her vision returned within 15 minutes after someone found her a soda to drink. She says it was a huge awakening to how bad of a problem she had with soda.)

Obviously, I inherited the Diet Coke addiction, but I largely kicked it by switching to straight tea (I live in Japan, so it's free everywhere) and black coffee for really rough mornings. I find the fizz/cooling sensation is what makes me like Coke so much--it definitely is relaxing!
    I used to backslide constantly, but after 6 months of actively avoiding soda, I was able to have one occasionally with a meal and not completely fall off the bus.
    (It also definitely helps when you have to pay $3.50-5.00 per soft drink and there are no free refills at restaurants.)

I hope your mother got medical treatment. Vision loss is a very serious issue and should never be ignored.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I had carbonated iced tea once. I didn't like it because it tasted too much like mountain dew lol but it might work for you. You could probably make it yourself with a soda stream.