Can't Lose Weight with my Hypothyroid Need Advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• MischaMay87
    MischaMay87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I have had 3 endocrinologists tell me not to take my T4 supplement in the morning if I'm going to have a morning blood draw. I have mine done in the afternoon after work so no problem. But there is a period of time after taking the medication that you can get a rush of it in the bloodstream which, if your timing is perfect, can make your TSH
    and FT4 a little off.

I guess everyone is different. I certainly feel a 'rush of energy' about an hour after I take my levo. Mind you, the dosage is a bit on the low side for me and should be a wee bit higher.

One thing is that thyroid should always be tested at the same time. Google circadian rhythm. It influences all hormone blood tests, and in order to get comparable results timing is important. I read somewhere that TSH can fluctuate throughout the day by up to 1.5 units. Not sure about that. But my GP wanted a spontaneous blood test when I saw him, and he added thyroids to his list. TSH came back at 2.4 and my GP insisted that the dose is fine. I insisted in a retest in the morning. Just 3 days later this test came back at 3.5. GP was not really happy but agreed to a higher dosage.

My thyroid test is very early in the morning, before I take my medicine, so I will see what the results show, and also have a discussion with my doctor, and ask honestly about it as well.
  • MischaMay87
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I'm 46 and diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2000, resulting in total thyroidectomy. I was told I would gain weight and unfortunately believed it. I put on ~70 lbs over the next 14 years. Note this had nothing to do with hypothyroidism - I transitioned from a high active military career to a cushy civilian job in academia and stopped running 6mi/day and swimming 2mi/day, but still ate as if I did. I found MFP in 2014 and followed the moderate calorie deficit guidelines and lost 60 lbs in the first year. I'm on 175/200 mcg alt daily and TSH ~0.17.

Hypothyroidism untreated impacts your Resting Energy Expenditure ~5%, so that's 80 kcal/day out of a 1600 kcal/day budget. What thyroid disorders may do is impact your hormonal balance and make you feel hungry when you're not and upset your sleep triggers.

Another issue with this is the simply being overweight can complicate matters. Hormones are free cycling, so the increased body mass makes it very difficult for these to find their compatible binding sites. The best thing you can do is lose the weight in a safe and responsible manner.

Many physicians only test TSH, but if you're not feeling 100% then demand a full thyroid panel including TSH, fT3, fT4, and rT3. Those outside the US may have to pay out of pocket for this testing.

For TSH the new normal is 0.2-2.0 since 2003. You may feel fine outside this range, which is perfectly normal, but if you don't then insist on a higher dosage of levothyroxine. Note it takes several days for you to feel the effects of this and about 6 weeks for your body to fully adjust to any shifts in dosage.

As for overall effects, there really are few today. Several elite level athletes have hypothyroidism, in fact this is suspected to be a potential adverse event suffered by years of endurance sports.

Thank you for sharing that with me. This is the first time I've had to take the medication, and only been on it 2 months, which my doctor said is how long it would take to be effective in my system. He said it is trial at the moment to see how much I need, as I'm only on 50mg, which is the lowest dose. I don't feel tired anymore, and have more energy now than I did a few months back. So, my blood tests next week, I will see me doctor a week after that and discuss if I need a higher dose or if that dose is working for me, and also getting tested for Celiac disease, to see if my diet is all wrong, I'm Pescetarian, so I only eat fish and no red meat or poultry, and have ate like that for years. I will let everyone know how I get on next week as well. Thank you again, that was very helpful.
  • MischaMay87
    Options
    Thank you everyone, you've all been so helpful, and so much information. I'm taking notes on all the info you've replied with and will definitely be seeing how my blood tests go next week, and a test for celiac disease as well, to see if that is effecting my diet and weight loss, if I'm eating the wrong foods. Thank you!!
  • chrissymoore06
    chrissymoore06 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism since i was 13. Im on 125 mcg of synthroid. Im 32 and have struggled with weight since after having my first child in 2010. I found that fasting 14 hours every day and working out 4× a week has helped get my weight down. You have to make working out and healthy eating a new life style. Its a every day commitment. I still have about 15 pounds left to lose. I also have high blood pressure caused by kidney stenosis, bulging disc in my back and fibromyalgia. So its very hard and painful for me to get out of bed but I love how good I feel after I push through a work out.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am on medication for this and have as of today lost 46lbs. I think everyone just assumes you can't lose weight if your hypothyroid. Once your medication is fixed you will
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I had half my thyroid removed due to a cyst over 30 years ago. My little half a thyroid decided it couldn't keep up about a decade ago and I take Levothyroxine. If I watch my calories I loose weight just like the numbers say I should.