How many calories should I eat each day?

Options
I am having a hard time determining how many calories I should be eating each day. Can anyone help me out?

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Put your stats in MFP and it will tell you. Your calorie needs depend on a lot of different things.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Enter your information and goals into the program and let it give you a target. Aim to be as close to that target as possible (plus about 50% of exercise calories) for 6 weeks, and reassess if it is working the way you would like. Use the data you collected during that six weeks to adjust your calorie target based on your own number.
  • traindisp
    traindisp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How do you determine macro needs. I know I need more protein being a gastric bypass survivor, lol, but how is it determined.
  • Tapout112009
    Tapout112009 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Google a calorie calculator. I use iifym they have a good one just answer the questions truthfully
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    traindisp wrote: »
    How do you determine macro needs. I know I need more protein being a gastric bypass survivor, lol, but how is it determined.

Your situation is different because of the surgery. Can you get a referral to a Registered Dietician? That would be a great place for you to start. Different surgical procedures will have specific concerns.
  • kcasteel07
    kcasteel07 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So on here when I input my health information it says that I should eat 1800 calories a day in order to lose 2lbs a week. Is that taking into consideration that I work out? I usually burn around 400-500 when I work out M-F wouldnt that make my calorie intake lower than it should be?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to this and I just want to make sure I'm doing things right.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    kcasteel07 wrote: »
    So on here when I input my health information it says that I should eat 1800 calories a day in order to lose 2lbs a week. Is that taking into consideration that I work out? I usually burn around 400-500 when I work out M-F wouldnt that make my calorie intake lower than it should be?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to this and I just want to make sure I'm doing things right.

Nope, exercise isn't included in that. You'll log that separately and then eat your calories back on top of the 1800. But since exercise calories can often be overestimated, start by eating back 50% of them and adjust up or down based on how you lose over the next month.