I want to lose weight faster

Options
I am 290lbs and i want to lose weight faster without relying on just diet. I have lost 5lbs im sure of since jun 5th 2017, i was 295lbs before that day. One thing with making the decision to lose weight is that I've decided to read and do research on what could help but I've seen so many types of diets on google and youtube that i am overwhelmed.

Currently i have minimized my sugar intake to stevia most if the time, i make it a point to cook my own food and i stopped taking cereal. I workout doing HIIT at least 3times a week and since i work in retail i am on my feet 5 to 7hrs on end at least 30000 steps three days a week.

I need help, how do i plan my workouts/how many times to get the best result. I noticed my body is getting soft especially my stomach area and i have more shape around the smallest part of my waist.

Please help.

Replies

• ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    If you don't weigh/measure and log your food, you can't make an assessment.
    If your not measuring, you will be greatly surprised.
    Calories in, calories out.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    First of all, whats your height, weight, calorie goal, and open your food diary.

Based on your current weight you should be losing close to 3 pounds per week (so you should already be close to 15~ pounds down at this point).

I think you might be eating significantly more calories than you think you are. This is what needs to be addressed first.

As usual, great advice. Look into this first, OP.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    As long as you burn more calories than you eat, you will loose weight. It's totally a math thing.

Exercise is for your body shaping.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Something else to consider is loose skin. Not sure how much you are aiming to lose but when you start getting to the 100+ area it is something that creeps in. One of the common held beliefs, but I can not find a study on it, is that the faster you lose weight the higher your chances of loose skin are.

I am not saying you can not or should not lose at a faster rate. Just that a slow steady rate can be more beneficial. I was losing at a fast rate when I was at 280-300 but I decided to slow everything down. I still lose at a decent rate of 1-1.5 lbs a week but eat better, recover better from gym, and have more energy. I did it for recovery and to minimize skin issues.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I am 290lbs and i want to lose weight faster without relying on just diet. I have lost 5lbs im sure of since jun 5th 2017, i was 295lbs before that day. One thing with making the decision to lose weight is that I've decided to read and do research on what could help but I've seen so many types of diets on google and youtube that i am overwhelmed.

Currently i have minimized my sugar intake to stevia most if the time, i make it a point to cook my own food and i stopped taking cereal. I workout doing HIIT at least 3times a week and since i work in retail i am on my feet 5 to 7hrs on end at least 30000 steps three days a week.

I need help, how do i plan my workouts/how many times to get the best result. I noticed my body is getting soft especially my stomach area and i have more shape around the smallest part of my waist.

Please help.

First of all you can't really speed things up, but you can make it more consistent with your nutrition being more accurate. It's always about not being accurate with food intake. Your exercise is spot on, keep doing it. Exercise burns a little of course the fat loss is mainly about the food portions and amount.

You didn't list your height and that is the most important piece of information. What does MFP give you for maintenance calories or TDEE?

Maintenance calorie needs ebbs and flows daily, but it's always in that range within give or take a couple hundred calories. For some people that weight range is step on stage fitness model ready, for others it is just right to be at the higher end, or maybe in the middle. Do not get too hung up on those numbers, YOU decide where you are best healthy, not those numbers.

So maintenance calories are what your body needs to stay the same and never lose or gain. Anything over that is how you gain weight. So some days you might eat under, and other days over. If it's too much over that is how we gain. And even though it seems like we don't eat at or over every day, we go over some days and that is why we can have a weight plateau.

So the trick for fat loss is to stay at maintenance, but also have most days during the week UNDER maintenance to lose fat. If done consistently this is like paying off a debt. It happens slowly over time, just like paying off a mortgage debt. It is the consistent payments that pay it off.

What matters is the calories at the end of the day in the 24 hour period, extend that out 7 days, 30, 60, and 90 days for results.

When embarking on a diet for fat loss and eating at deficits, it is always good to eat up to maintenance at least one day a week to help keep hormones stable.

why would she want to stay at maintenance calories? she wants to lose weight now not wait several years.if she stays at maintenance and does workouts she may lose fat but she isnt going to lose weight and it will be very very slow that way. you also dont need to eat one day in maintenance. she can take a diet break every 4-6 weeks. but many people dont and lose consistently.fat loss comes from a deficit too not just in maintenance. she only needs a 1000 calorie deficit to lose 2lbs a week and at her weight it would probably be sustainable because the weight being high. there is no trick to fatloss
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    First of all, whats your height, weight, calorie goal, and open your food diary.

Based on your current weight you should be losing close to 3 pounds per week (so you should already be close to 15~ pounds down at this point).

I think you might be eating significantly more calories than you think you are. This is what needs to be addressed first.

This.
  • Waddellfitness
    Waddellfitness Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As there are many opinions on this site and most are really helpful this is my 2 cents. First of all as stated above you need to make sure you log EVERYTHING that goes into your body. That's the most important step. Make sure you list your height, weight, and goal weight and MFP will make a daily calorie goal for you. In order for you to loose you need to be in a caloric deficient state meaning you burn more than you consume. Another good way to burn stored fat is fasted cardio/training. When you wake up in the morning and before breakfast you can go for a walk/run or go to the gym. HIIT is great for fat burning and improved metabolism so keep it up. Do not guesstimate on calorie intake as it is very easy to over consume. Log daily and accurately, good luck
  • duncan04
    duncan04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Everyone be here has already said....LOG your food. EVERYTHING as it is essential for you to see what you're eating. Make sure to drink fluid. Hot or iced. Either way your body with work to cool it down or warm it up so your body can consume it at room temperature...if you're hydrating after a work out try room temperature water, again faster consumption. You're doing the first step and that's the hardest recognizing your goal. You can't speed things up without ending up back at square one. Do this right and it will be a whole new lasting life. #YouGotThis #Goals #ChangingYourWayOfLife
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Others here are offering you helpful advice as far as getting your food intake shored up. I can't stress the importance of this enough in being integral to your overall success. Most people new to logging are shocked initially when they actually get an accurate tally of their calories and realize how much they are taking in.

Though I guess I got a bit ahead of myself because before this can take place, we also need to know your TDEE, or total daily energy expenditure. This is the amount of calories you burn per day for your height, weight, age, etc. even if you are in a coma if you choose "sedentary" for activity level (which I recommend to give yourself some wiggle room). Once you are armed with your TDEE, you can reasonably decide how many calories to cut from this to achieve weight loss. Do not make the mistake of being too aggressive with with your cut. If you do you will only burn yourself out. Find your TDEE here: http://damnripped.com/tdee-calculator/

OK, so now to the heart of your question which is establishing a gym regimen. I realize how intimidating this can be, trust me. I sat at the back of my local Planet Fitness for 6 months doing nothing but treadmill having no idea how to proceed and being scared to venture over towards the weights and circuit machines. People who have been at this game for awhile sometimes forget how awkward this is for a new person. I sure as hell never did. There are a million resources out there online for the newbie gym person, but the route I took when I first started was via BB and I find it is perfect for beginners. This is literally a ground zero/square one type of program that people who are utterly clueless about the gym can get benefit from, and it is extremely well explained. You can find this here: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-ultimate-30-day-beginners-guide-to-fitness.html?mcid=SM_youtube_yBMGtuUBAbI

Naturally you will want to move on and up your game eventually, but don't rush things! Stay on the beginner course for as long as is necessary until you got it down like the back of your hand. It covers numerous key concepts like proper form, timing, reps, dealing with fatigue, etc that you need to fully absorb until it's just second nature. Move to a different routine only when you are truly ready. Don't worry, they are not going anywhere, and there are literally thousands to choose from.

Take things one step at a time as I described above, be meticulous, and most of all be patient. If you follow this mantra success will not only be possible for you but inevitable.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    in addition to logging everything you eat to make sure you eat your calorie level, Invest some time into learning about nutrition, and what foods you should and should not be eating and how much of each food group you need to create well balanced diet. Learn the differences between vegetables and proteins and starches so can choose the right things to eat. You said you stopped eating cereal? Cereal is not bad for you, it can be a good part of a well balanced diet. If you take some time to learn nutrition that will really help you along your journey.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    30000 steps a day. How are you measuring that?

I have a very physical job, on the go from 11-12 hours a day and only hit 15,000 a day average.
  • sweetychang
    sweetychang Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the feedback.
    I am female 5' 3 290lbs
    MFP Calorie for a day is 1830
    I work in a clothing store without breaks and including walking to and from transportation(NYC) all that gets to about 30,000 steps a day. I use map my walk app recommended by MFP.

How do i open my food diary?
  • sweetychang
    sweetychang Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thank you guys for the feedback.
    I am female 5' 3 290lbs
    MFP Calorie for a day is 1830
    I work in a clothing store without breaks and including walking to and from transportation(NYC) all that gets to about 30,000 steps a day. I use map my walk app recommended by MFP.

How do i open my food diary?

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    As a woman who started out in the 280s and been a significant weight loser many times in the last 40+ years, let me confirm that the only thing that WORKS for weight loss is consuming fewer calories than you expend. Exercise is more for health than for weight loss. As a former New Yorker, I also can confirm that one can walk miles and still gain weight if one is consuming MORE calories than one is expending. Even a fifth floor walk up didn't keep the pounds away.

So, step one: use a TDEE calculator to determine how many calories a day you should eat. Do not overestimate your activity level. If you intend to "eat back" your steps calories you must use SEDENTARY as your activity level.

Step two: get a digital kitchen scale.

Step three: honestly measure and record in the diary EVERYTHING you eat.

An OPTIONAL fourth step is to constrain what or when or how often you eat. All these things have a very minor effect or no effect at all on weight loss. Since you are paying attention to how much you eat, you may decide to change what to eat but this is wholly optional.

If you are one who gets a bagel with cream cheese while on the street or other similar grab and go food, keep a tablespoon measure or, even better, a pocket scale to measure that street food. A good sized street bagel and that 3/8" slab of cream cheese is likely to be SEVERAL hundred calories!