Sainsbury's basics instant noodles

Options
So, I like these noodles, because they're dirt cheap and easy, but they are a TON of calories, like 400+ for a pack

However, I don't eat them with the seasoning, I just boil them, then drain them, then add vegan spread, vegan meat, etc.

Does anyone know if it's the seasoning/flavouring in the sachet that adds a lot of the calories, or if it's all in the noodles themselves?

Any help would be awesome! Thanks :)

Replies

• TomAJeffs
    TomAJeffs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It'll be the noodles that constitute the bulk of the calorific content. The powder won't add much at all.
  • blondebaby9890
    Options
    400?!?!?!?!

Oh my days...i'm a student and always had some of these in the cupboard for emergency last year...*facepalm*
  • InspoAdam
    InspoAdam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Even worse, they are pretty much all carbs. Complex carbs, but carbs the same.
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just buy egg noodles or something like that. I have Blue Dragon ones I think they were £1 and you get about 5-6 servings out of them.
  • dericcarson
    dericcarson Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Soooo, I have a question. I have always wondered what "Sainsbury" was?? I see it on food diaries but never questioned it. Please explain. THX (:
  • FaithHopeTrust
    FaithHopeTrust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Instant noodles are what you're on about? like super noodles?
    They're PRE-FRIED. it's why you add water and they're cooked mega quick...
    they get fried so that the noodles have little microscopic holes in them... then they absorb water faster making them softer.
    you're better off buying noodles in steam bags which are usually pre boiled instead of fried.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could substitute your noodles with some rice? Rice is very cheap (compare how many servings you can get from a bag). Then use your vegan paste. You will save a ton of calories and get complex carbs instead of processed junk.
  • FaithHopeTrust
    Options
    Soooo, I have a question. I have always wondered what "Sainsbury" was?? I see it on food diaries but never questioned it. Please explain. THX (:
    It's a supermarket in the UK
  • clockhead
    clockhead Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    yeah I have just made the same discovery- bachelors supernoodles -chicken -are 524 calories a pack- holy guacamole- and it's not like it is a satisfying meal- I always feel hungry again after an hour or two! Blah! It's weird though that its the noodles causing all the calories! sorry I'm not much help but I wanted to share cause I am ineterested int the topic- I do like them!
  • dericcarson
    Options

Ohhhhh, thank you!! The noodles are probably like TOP RAMEN in the US which are way high in sodium and carbs. Not a good choice....yummy if you are hung over.....lol....but no bueno in the calorie counting department
  • FaithHopeTrust
    Options

Ohhhhh, thank you!! The noodles are probably like TOP RAMEN in the US which are way high in sodium and carbs. Not a good choice....yummy if you are hung over.....lol....but no bueno in the calorie counting department
    i think the type of noodles she's on about are instant noodles? pot noodles are instant noodles... supernoodles are too :/ theyre prefried and packaged for us to just add water or boil for a few minutes ...
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I LOVE noodles as well. I have found the own brand budget ones like the Tesco ones have way less calories than batchelors for instance. I have them as a friday night treat sometimes when I need a break. I think if you eat healthily fo ryour other 700 or so calories its not the end of the world if you have them sometimes.
    Didn't know they were fried though!
  • dericcarson
    Options

i think the type of noodles she's on about are instant noodles? pot noodles are instant noodles... supernoodles are too :/ theyre prefried and packaged for us to just add water or boil for a few minutes ...

Yeah, thats the kind we have here in the US called Top Ramen. All different types of flavors....but prefried and packaged. (:
  • FaithHopeTrust
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_noodles if you read through that it says how they're made!
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    What about rice noodles?

Though on the other hand, noodles are kind of a waste of calories...Boil some quinoa, its a whole protein = good for vegans :)