Destination US of A

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Come to Portland, Oregon. Great culture. 50 Miles from Snow Skiing. 50 Miles from Windsurfing the Gorge. 100 Miles from surfing the Pacific Coast. 100 Miles from White Water Rafting. Surrounded by Wine Country. Independent Small batch Breweries all over the place. If you make it out here, contact me. I'll have the BBQ going, a cigar waiting for you and a full bottle of whisky waiting.

My son lives in Portland. Every time I go there all I see is the lack of sun and rain, rain and then more rain. Last time I was there (February) didn't have a half an hour of sun the whole time we were there. Give me sunny Arizona any time.

Have to do the Pacific Northwest in July/August...IMO, there's nothing more stunningly beautiful.

I used to work for a CPA firm that was based out of Seattle and Portland so we would get sent to training annually in one or the other...always July/August. It was so beautiful I asked my wife if she would be interested in moving to either as I could put in for a transfer...She was born and raised in Seattle and was pretty excited about that possibility as she misses it.

We went up in November one year to help her parents pack up to move full time to Tuscon...we were there for a week and it drizzled all day, every day and I told her, "there's no way I can handle this *kitten*...I've been in the desert for 25+ years, there's no way I can do this." She concurred...as much as she missed it, she had by that time spent quite a bit of time in the desert and forgot how rainy it could be.

Summer is gorgeous though...planning to make a trip to the San Juan Islands next summer. I totally dig the vibes in Portland too...fun place.
  • HarrisHawke8
    HarrisHawke8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I am Canadian and am going to the US in the next couple of weeks to see the north part of the east coast. I will let you know if there is anything awesome to see from a completely "new to me" perspective! I am so excited!

The US is the only place I have been to outside of Canada.

My favourite places were San Francisco and Monterey California. A fun, laid back atmosphere in both places. "To see" destinations...The coast highway...and if you go do stop at random places and the small towns and walk around.

I have been to Texas in the winter. It snowed, which I wasn't expecting. It was beautiful, the landscape seemed very wide open...vast.

I have been to Florida in the summer (I can't even describe the heat and humidity, like nothing I've ever experienced before) but I had a lot of fun and it was beautiful.

I have been across the border at Niagara Falls to New York state, great shopping there.

Hi Vikka,

Please let me know about your travels when u complete them on any highlights. That would be great.

Thanks Chris
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC. I think it'd be a good place to visit. There's lots of ...stuff.
  • HarrisHawke8
    Options
    ZodFit wrote: »
    Hey all!
    So if an Aussie guy, muah, was to travel to the States, what is your advice on where he should go, what he should see and why?
    Thanks

ALASKA.

Alaska sounds great! But why would i visit there? What are the unique attractions u know of?
  • HarrisHawke8
    Options
    Come to Portland, Oregon. Great culture. 50 Miles from Snow Skiing. 50 Miles from Windsurfing the Gorge. 100 Miles from surfing the Pacific Coast. 100 Miles from White Water Rafting. Surrounded by Wine Country. Independent Small batch Breweries all over the place. If you make it out here, contact me. I'll have the BBQ going, a cigar waiting for you and a full bottle of whisky waiting.

@TheRoadDog, sounds great mate! Love a good BBQ like any Aussie....
  • HarrisHawke8
    Options
    ChrisNels1 wrote: »
    This pretty much sums it up.fjqkm18ljp7o.jpg

@ChrisNels1 this looks great, thanks will look into this!
  • HarrisHawke8
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    New York City!

Hi J what are the highlights of New York City in 3 days?
  • HarrisHawke8
    Options
    We have tornadoes in Oklahoma.

hi Avacado_AS5 i am blown away by your comment! Lol
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Except American BBQ isn't an Australian BBQ...
  • HooperDrivesTheBoatChief
    Options
    Ferguson, MO
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    New York City!

Hi J what are the highlights of New York City in 3 days?

Broadway Show, Pizza, Statue of Liberty
  • HarrisHawke8
    Options

So what is the difference between American BBQ and Australian BBQ?

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

State what Australian BBQ is and all the different regional American BBQ mavens can wax on about their favorite.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

"American BBQ" to me is slow cooked meats - like pulled pork, brisket etc. Their grilling is equivalent to our BBQ...
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I heartily agree on Yosemite! Sequoia National Park is another great site in California. Or, if you are a city person, San Francisco and San Diego are pretty sweet as cities go. Jog on over to Arizona to check out the Grand Canyon while you are on this side of the country.
    qikewva7kieo.jpg

8s9x4zb7gkmk.jpg

avcy1lkdg39m.jpg

5jljgposratz.jpg

tsw3u3qim2c5.jpg

• haylerocks
    haylerocks Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    New York when it is summer time
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    From Australia

- Fly to San Francisco (Beautiful city)
    - Drive to either Portland or Seattle (Get your Weird, Northwest fix on, maybe stop at a National Park on the way)
    - Fly to Chicago (Probably the best food city in US right now)
    - Take Overnight Train to NYC (Stare out the window, get a sense of how big this place really is)
    - NYC, no explanation needed
    - Train to Boston (really historic, super walkable city, see where it all started)

• RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what atmosphere you are wanting.. Party/Festivals? Cabin/Mountains/Skiing/ Nature? Beach/sun etc? Music?

I am in Houston, so I am definitely used to the city life. But, it just really depends on the setting you want. I used to love going to New Orleans, I love the feel of the French Quarter. Colorado, Washington, San Diego all absolutely beautiful. Florida has amazing beaches (Denton, Pensacola).
  • HarrisHawke8
    Options

"American BBQ" to me is slow cooked meats - like pulled pork, brisket etc. Their grilling is equivalent to our BBQ...

I see, yes much different. For us we might have for example, sausages, steak, sliced potatoes, sliced onions, burger patties, prawns (shrimp) chicken drumsticks or wings along with lamb or pork cuts etc. Thanks for the explanation!