Big Ideas ... From Dream to Reality?

Options
I just started (again!) and I have wonderful plans for myself. I get most of these plans/ideas while I am at work, supposedly working. By the time I get home, those inspirations/desires seem to have vanished. Take today for instance:

I filled out my breakfast and my lunch this afternoon and decided I need snack before/on the way home (I have an hour commute). I've already decided what I should make for dinner and plugged it (along with my future snack) into my log. With that, and some popcorn tonight (is it weird that I actually prefer the air-popped popcorn?), I am just under my calorie goal. Perfect, right? On top of this, I have decided that I need to walk after dinner every night - beginning tonight.

The problem is, it seems there is some sort of "dead" zone with-in the 45 miles between my work and home that steals my grand ideas and my energy and by the time I back up under my carport and walk to my front door, all my willpower goes out the window. Sometimes I am lucky if I make it that far before I decide I just don't feel like cooking and figure stopping somewhere won't hurt *too* bad. (Sometimes it can be hard being single, not needing to worry about someone else for meals.)

To sum up my rambling, it's been tough to keep that idea and actually follow through and I am still trying to figure out how to make it work for me.

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    have you ever tried making a yummy healthy casserole in a crock pot? then when you walk through the door dinner is ready and done! no backing out, no stopping for a burger, no decisions!!!
  • minussam
    minussam Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    can you exercise/go for a walk before your commute home?
    sometime having exercised motivates me to eat better because I don't want to ruin the effect of the workout (does that make sense???)
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    have you ever tried making a yummy healthy casserole in a crock pot? then when you walk through the door dinner is ready and done! no backing out, no stopping for a burger, no decisions!!!

This.

If everything's ready in the morning, it's much harder to justify stopping for fast food to yourself.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if there is really a fix to this, but what it comes down to is it is all in your head. I has a terrible night snacker, but recently I have realized it is not worth it. The first few days it is hard but now it I make my dinner when I get home and don't eat after that. Sometimes I will have a protein shake after a workout. I guess what I am getting at is don't accept that you are a night snacker and that is that. Push yourself to not do it one day and then go from there. Once you see a lose things will start to click.
  • TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY feel ya! I have the same problem some days! I work 2 jobs so when I'm off from my part-time job it's easy for me to justify being lazy. :ohwell:
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    How about exercise before you go home?

Exercising directly after work helps to motivate me to eat healthy in the evening and subdues the craving to just go home and binge in front of the television. No doubt that long commute is exhausting your energy. Could you go to a gym or a park between work and home to get in some exercise? This would break up the commute and hopefully give you more energy and desire to eat better once you arrive home.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I am single too & sometimes have trouble with the concept that I can have ANYTHING I want (what do I want?) I don't have a 45 min commute; maybe you're getting too hungry? take an apple or something for in the car - apples help curb my unwanted hunger a lot. Also, DRINK WATER - could be you're just thirsty after that long drive - "they" say our bodies sometimes interpret thirst as hunger.
    I TRY to cook/prepare supper. Going to have to just AVOID the fast food places - I've decided NOT to drive thru for food any more. IF I go to the burger joint, GET OUT OF THE CAR & GO IN. Hopefully, I will change my mind & not go.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    About seven years ago, I got into a successful weight loss plan over several months. At the time, I had a 90 minute commute each way (I literally drove 86 miles from my driveway to my parking spot) and had a few days a week where I wouldn't get home until after 11:00 at night. Here are a couple of things I did to help keep the good ideas in my head.

(1) Snack planning -- I planned all my commute meals/snacks at home the night before when I packed my lunch. A typical morning commute included water, 2 bags of baby carrots, and an English muffin with jam and cream cheese. Typical after-work snacks were some kind of fruit, usually a couple of pieces. If I knew my return was going to be later, I'd stop at someplace like Subway before I left work where I could be sure to get something decent.

(2) Self-distraction -- Whether you're driving or riding, long commutes can be mentally draining...I suspect that's where your good ideas are going. We see this whenever we travel long distances. (Come on, folks...isn't a six to eight hour (or longer) plane ride where you just SIT one of the most draining things we can put ourselves through?) Anyway, I found I could keep my spirits up both directions (especially on the way home where a stop at the gym would often precede my return home) using books on tape. I discovered the works of Simon Winchester (great British writer about science, linguistics, and culture) and read the entire Harry Potter saga (multiple times per book) by listening to Jim Dale.

Hope this helps!
  • nelsonmo
    nelsonmo Posts: 10
    Options
    you are not by yourself. i had big plan to loose some weights about 20lbs for the summer. Only lost 5, every week is a struggle. i work 12 hrs shift, and after that i am so tired. every week it is the same for me. i dont like to cook because it is just for me. well i made a resolution. i carry an apple with me so after work to keep me from eating junks. and when i get home i brush my teeth, for some reason the tooth paste help to stop the cravings. it is a hard road. i brough myself something small and told myself i need to fit into. one thing that work for me is shopping, for some reason, when i go shopping, i have energy and want to loose weight so i can buy and buy some nice clothes that will fit me perfectly. add me if you want
  • orleansmith
    orleansmith Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)

I do try to drink water all day long ... especially since it gives me a reason to keep getting up and walking around throughout the day! I could go through 5 16oz bottle fill-ups each day just at work! Plus, one for the ride home.

I planned a later snack for my ride home so hopefully it boosts my energy a bit and gives me more of an appetite curb.

Oh, and the slow cooker ... I love mine! And I need some new recipes to try out but most times I just hate cooking so much when there is no one to share it with.

I have been looking into gyms ... there is little to choose from in my (very small) town but there are a couple near my work. Not sure I can do it yet, money-wise, but hopefully soon.

I was just thinking/hoping that maybe some reminders around the house would be beneficial ... plans that I am making, where I want to be ... sort of like buying a size smaller and giving myself something to work towards and a physical reminder so it's not only just in my head ...
  • orleansmith
    orleansmith Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    (2) Self-distraction -- Whether you're driving or riding, long commutes can be mentally draining...I suspect that's where your good ideas are going. We see this whenever we travel long distances. (Come on, folks...isn't a six to eight hour (or longer) plane ride where you just SIT one of the most draining things we can put ourselves through?) Anyway, I found I could keep my spirits up both directions (especially on the way home where a stop at the gym would often precede my return home) using books on tape. I discovered the works of Simon Winchester (great British writer about science, linguistics, and culture) and read the entire Harry Potter saga (multiple times per book) by listening to Jim Dale.

I've been thinking about books on tape ... there are SO many books that I've been wanting to read and haven't gotten to. My problem is, any music I have on in the car is background and I don't really pay attention to the songs. Sure, I might sing along to a couple here and there but mostly I don't really hear them. And I'm afraid it will be the same with audio books. I also tend to get distracted and never really liked having to listen to people read aloud. Was it difficult for you to keep up?
  • harpalind
    harpalind Posts: 7
    Options
    I would suggest that you try to cook for 2-3 persons at a time so that you can have leftovers the next day.
    I also live alone and am mostly to tired to cook in the evening so some days I take something out of the freezer in the morning, and then when I get home I really have to cook it, or throw it away, and I refuse to throw away good healthy food.
    I find it helps to cook more than I need for one meal so that I can eat leftovers the day after.

Only having to cook every 2 or 3 days is such a blessing for a single person
  • welcominganewself
    Options
    I am not single, but I am a busy working mom that sometimes doesn't have time to cook or the desire each night. One trick I sometimes use is to take part of one of my days off and dedicate it to cooking several meal ahead oftime andtehn either freezing them or putting them in the fridge so all I have to do is reheat.

The crockpot is a life saver too!