Cheat meal! How many calories do you allow yourself?

Options
MaryYoungmark
MaryYoungmark Posts: 66 Member
edited July 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I eat about 1600-1800 calories a day, do crossfit 5-6 days a week, and have steadily been losing weight. I always have a really hard time allowing myself a cheat meal here and there. About how many calories is good for a cheat meal? How many calories over your daily goal do you go?

Replies

• rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    How is anyone "cheating"?
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a light breakfast and lunch to allow for a larger dinner. Not cheating, I budgeted it in.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    There are no such things as cheat meals, because this is not a contest or a marriage. I call them free meals, because I don't worry about how many calories are in the meal. I generally try to exercise a bit more for a day or two before and after, and still log it as close as possible. But a little more exceecise will balance it out, and a few calories extra once in a while won't destroy you.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Who needs a cheat meal (and I also dislike the term) on 1800 calories? Earlier on in the process, when my allowance was about 1700, we would occasionally go to our favorite Chinese buffet for lunch and I would have a meal that I calculated to be about 10-1200 calories (I didn't go nuts, but was always *very* full when I was done). That still leaves a 300 calorie breakfast (what I typically have) and a 3-400 calorie substantial evening snack.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat.
    It's counterproductive.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I prefer to establish a way of eating and relationship with food that if/when I eat a particularly indulgent meal, I don't name it or stress about how many calories it has.
    I can see both sides, I prefer not to call things cheat meals, and especially think it's a horrible idea to plan them. Life happens and it's meant to be enjoyed. Have fun, eat good food, hedge your indulgences by eating well the majority of the rest of the time

Good point. There are certainly enough unplanned opportunities where we might want to relax & indulge a little without making it a point to!
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I can only tell you what I do for my cheat meals, which are technically not a cheat meal since I still meet my calorie goal. On days I decide "today's the day": I basically just skip breakfast and have only a protein bar for lunch. This leaves me with enough latitude to go pretty much as bonkers as I want for dinner. I almost always do this on a work day during the week as opposed to most people who tend to cheat on the weekends. My job is crazy paced enough that I am too busy to notice being hungry much. I normally have days like this a couple of times a month on average I would say, and I am really about due for one now that I think about it.

My most recent was probably 2-3 weeks ago, and it was a hamburger joint I love called Fuddruckers (not sure if they have those everywhere). I rocked the half pound burger mushroom swiss burger, full basket of wedge fries, and a large side of hot Jalepeno cheese for dipping. It was a pretty damn exquisite night to put it mildly. I throughly enjoyed it. I got to bond with some of my new guys at work that night too, since I invited them out as my treat. We are a culture that bonds over food, so it's always good to keep this option in my arsenal on days when I have work related functions or professional conferences.

For my next one there are a couple of chicken and waffle places here in Chicago that are prime candidates for my next day off. They have bacon stuffed and sweet potato waffles too :) PF Changs is also not a bad option to blow though some calories or our local Chicago hot dog chain, Portillo's. I could also go A list and hook it up with a huge slab of Prime Rib with a loaded baked potato and horseradish from someplace like Capital Grille or Ruth Chris. It all just depends on what I happen to be in the mood for on the day in question.
  • Jfitness57
    Jfitness57 Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I kinda have a cheat everyday so that I don't feel like I'm being too restrictive.. I usually have a couple of freddo frogs. I've still been losing weight, but I am very conscious about serving sizes for all my other meals and keep it on the small side so that I can indulge in the fat foods that I like.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Jfitness57 wrote: »
    I kinda have a cheat everyday so that I don't feel like I'm being to restrictive.. I usually have a couple of freddo frogs. I've seen been losing weight, but I am very conscious about serving sizes for all my other meals and keep it on the small side so that I can indulge then the fat foods that I like.

How is that cheating?
  • JGreenwoodmfp
    JGreenwoodmfp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    It's cheating. Call it whatever helps you sleep at night. I don't understand all this PC BS.

For me, it's unlimited. It's whatever.

You are one of the lucky ones then!
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    A cheat meal to me is about price, not calories. I'm drinking my cheat Starbucks right now (170 cal) after eating my cheat mini quesadilla (180 cal).
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what I do for my cheat meals, which are technically not a cheat meal since I still meet my calorie goal. On days I decide "today's the day": I basically just skip breakfast and have only a protein bar for lunch. This leaves me with enough latitude to go pretty much as bonkers as I want for dinner. I almost always do this on a work day during the week as opposed to most people who tend to cheat on the weekends. My job is crazy paced enough that I am too busy to notice being hungry much. I normally have days like this a couple of times a month on average I would say, and I am really about due for one now that I think about it.

My most recent was probably 2-3 weeks ago, and it was a hamburger joint I love called Fuddruckers (not sure if they have those everywhere). I rocked the half pound burger mushroom swiss burger, full basket of wedge fries, and a large side of hot Jalepeno cheese for dipping. It was a pretty damn exquisite night to put it mildly. I throughly enjoyed it. I got to bond with some of my new guys at work that night too, since I invited them out as my treat. We are a culture that bonds over food, so it's always good to keep this option in my arsenal on days when I have work related functions or professional conferences.

For my next one there are a couple of chicken and waffle places here in Chicago that are prime candidates for my next day off. They have bacon stuffed and sweet potato waffles too :) PF Changs is also not a bad option to blow though some calories or our local Chicago hot dog chain, Portillo's. I could also go A list and hook it up with a huge slab of Prime Rib with a loaded baked potato and horseradish from someplace like Capital Grille or Ruth Chris. It all just depends on what I happen to be in the mood for on the day in question.

I'd kill for some Portillo's. I like Al's Beef better though. Which surprisingly, Italian beef sandwiches aren't that high in calories...
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a cheat meal.. more like a refeed, I guess. Usually about 1x a month, my husband and I go to Rodizios, which is an all you can eat Brazilian steakhouse. I consciously pick a weekend day for us to go based on my peaked planned activity level. For example, when I was training for my first marathon, we would go after a long run (18+ miles). Next time we go will be after I complete my first Olympic triathlon next Sunday - since I need to eat a lot anyway to replenish, might as well get the biggest bang for my caloric (and actual) buck! I just throw it in MFP as about 2500 calories as a quick add and scale back my dinner plans if I feel I ate more than I should have. If I happened to go overboard, I notice on the scale a few days later and eat at a deficit for a few days/weeks to get back into maintenance target. That's my fav "cheat" meal.

Otherwise, if I want any goodies, I just budget into my daily calories and move along with my life. No need to actually "cheat" when the goal is to create and maintain a sustainable lifestyle change in my diet. What - am I really never planning to have chocolate or potato chips ever again? Hahahaha. Couldn't imagine. Might as well find a way to incorporate these goodies into my new way of eating or find appropriate substitutes. That way I know I am setting myself up for long term success. Just my two cents.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

I'd kill for some Portillo's. I like Al's Beef better though. Which surprisingly, Italian beef sandwiches aren't that high in calories...

No, they really aren't. You can pretty much squeeze in Portillo's, Gene and Jude's, Al's, etc. on a "normal" day if you watch your step with your other meals :smile:
  • CeciliaBobilia
    CeciliaBobilia Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have a treat day once a week where I go about 500 calories over my goal intake. I plan this day at the beginning of the week to ensure my net calories for the week don't go over what I have allotted. And I put in a good work out that day to make myself feel like I've really earned it.
    I've noticed my weight loss plateauing less frequently since spiking my calories once a week, but everyone is different. Find something you can maintain longterm that still works for you.
  • Jfitness57
    Jfitness57 Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Jfitness57 wrote: »
    I kinda have a cheat everyday so that I don't feel like I'm being to restrictive.. I usually have a couple of freddo frogs. I've seen been losing weight, but I am very conscious about serving sizes for all my other meals and keep it on the small side so that I can indulge then the fat foods that I like.

How is that cheating?

Because I could have made clean treats and I don't- I opt for a easy prepackaged fat/sugar cheat. As someone thats just had another baby (4mths ago), I'm mindful of what im eating so I can get back to 59kgs in time for my wedding in a cpl of weeks. It may not be a cheat in the bodybuilding world haha but I'm not i that world so its a cheat for me in the context I've described above ☺️)