Macros for a vegan

Options
I need to know how to find what my required protein should be? If I multiply my weight by .8 the amount is a little over 200 and I can't imagine being able to get that amount daily with just Whole Foods (I do supplement with a protein shake but it has only 25g of pea protein).

Any insight is appreciated!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Reduce your fruit as that has very little protein (for example one fruit a day).
    Eat green leafy veggies, broccoli, squash, lentils, garbanzo beans, tofu, chia seeds,. . .
    I used to be a vegetarian. I made protein drinks with
    1. Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds
    or
    2.Nutribiotic Organic Rice Protein, Plain
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    You require what you require, regardless of how you source it.
  • Loganhautamaki
    Loganhautamaki Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here's a great link that might help.
    https://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Recommended protein is 0.8 g per pound of your goal weight (or BMI normal weight) rather than your current weight. Personally, I think that's high but that's the general recommendation on the MFP forums.

The RDA is 0.8 grams per kilogram which is about 46 grams for women. Here's a link to the RDA macronutrient recommendations.

I aim for at least 65 grams per day of protein. It's more than the minimum and works with my way of eating. You may need to experiment to find a comfortable level for yourself.

ETA: I'm not vegan so I don't have any suggestions on how to get your protein with that way of eating.
    This

• daremightythings
    daremightythings Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

If you're over 200 pounds, the .8g/lb of bodyweight recommendation is going to be very high, yes. Doesn't matter if you're a vegan, that's how much protein you need for your current body weight. Probably going to be pretty hard to reach given your limited source pool, but that's a choice you need to make.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I try to get 100g a day and that seems to be plenty for me (5-7, 145#). Don't forget to take a multi for the B12. Here's a link that may be a good resource for you if you're just starting vegan:
    http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topics/a-guide-to-healthy-weight-loss
  • smyer74
    smyer74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I intern with a nutritionist and most people only need about 60g per day. Many people believe that the amount is much higher but the emphasis should really be on whole foods and natural carbohydrates like rice, veggies...etc
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

If you're over 200 pounds, the .8g/lb of bodyweight recommendation is going to be very high, yes. Doesn't matter if you're a vegan, that's how much protein you need for your current body weight. Probably going to be pretty hard to reach given your limited source pool, but that's a choice you need to make.
    Excess body fat does not need to be supplied with protein. Someone trying to lose weight is going to be eating fewer calories than their body uses and excess protein (which just gets excreted or converted to carbs anyway) can crowd out other nutrients that need to be fit into that small calorie budget.
  • lcbridgewater
    lcbridgewater Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Recommended protein is 0.8 g per pound of your goal weight (or BMI normal weight) rather than your current weight. Personally, I think that's high but that's the general recommendation on the MFP forums.

The RDA is 0.8 grams per kilogram which is about 46 grams for women. Here's a link to the RDA macronutrient recommendations.

I aim for at least 65 grams per day of protein. It's more than the minimum and works with my way of eating. You may need to experiment to find a comfortable level for yourself.

ETA: I'm not vegan so I don't have any suggestions on how to get your protein with that way of eating.

Roast peas as a snack, eat soy meat or other meat alternatives - some are high in mushroom protein, or make raw bean patties/balls and gobble them. Once a week I eat a whole pack of Redwood fake bacon with my barehand s - loads of protein
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

This, except I'd say that recommended protein is .65-.8 g per lb of healthy goal weight or .8-1 g per lb of lean body mass (if you have a good estimate). That's to best preserve muscle when eating at a deficit. The RDA doesn't account for the fact that one might be eating at a deficit and that that puts muscle at risk, and also is lower than what is typically recommended for people who are active.

I am a woman in my 40s, so when I am at a deficit I aim for the .8 g (at my age women are apt to lose muscle just from getting older, so protecting it is extra important to me), but I think the lower end of the .65-.8 g range would still be plenty and on a vegan diet it may be harder to get to the high end. (Biggest issue for vegans and protein is adequate lysine, and beans and lentils are good sources.)

Anyway, 200 based on current weight, if you are overweight, is likely to be far higher than you need and extremely difficult on a vegan weight-loss diet.
  • fatvegan88
    fatvegan88 Posts: 71 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    To be honest losing weight as a vegan is hard. I have struggled a lot. Carbs are your only real "tasty" food and it's hard to lose weight eating a lot of carbs. I try to eat as much protein as possible but once again it's really hard. Just tweak your macros until you aren't feeling as hungry between meals because as a vegan hungry goes to whole new levels. There are times when I seriously consider eating handfuls of carrots like 20 at a time. But back to protein, I do a protein shake with pea milk and spinach it has like 40 g of protein if you can try to eat like Tofu scramble with edamame. If you can get your protein in in the morning the day will be a lot easier.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    fatvegan88 wrote: »
    To be honest losing weight as a vegan is hard. I have struggled a lot. Carbs are your only real "tasty" food and it's hard to lose weight eating a lot of carbs. I try to eat as much protein as possible but once again it's really hard. Just tweak your macros until you aren't feeling as hungry between meals because as a vegan hungry goes to whole new levels. There are times when I seriously consider eating handfuls of carrots like 20 at a time. But back to protein, I do a protein shake with pea milk and spinach it has like 40 g of protein if you can try to eat like Tofu scramble with edamame. If you can get your protein in in the morning the day will be a lot easier.

I'm vegan and I find protein and fat to also be quite tasty. Anyway, even if one is eating a lot of carbohydrates, you'll still lose weight with a calorie deficit.