Days where you hardly eat? Do you purposely make up calories?

Options
When I wasn't tracking, I would always have the random day where I hardly ate and never thought much of it but now, being that I am in a conscious caloric deficit, I can visually see the days where I drastically undereat. Yesterday was one of those days. When this happens to the rest of you, do you consciously add some extra calories throughout the rest of the week or just carry on? Of course, if I'm hungry for a bit extra the next day, I wouldn't be worried but I don't ever consciously add the calories back. What do you guys think about this? I have these low cal days about 3 times a month

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I just carry on.... I know I go over more than under so it works out.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I take a weekly view so days where I under eat (actually usually says where I eat normally and then do vast amounts of exercise) are always cancelled out by heavier weekends and rest days.

I don't force myself to eat if I don't want to but I never have problems finding high calorie treats to indulge in if I have lots of spare capacity... That's what ferrero rocher were made for...
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Three times a month probably isn't bad, but if it becomes worrisome, you can always easily up your calorie count with oils. I naturally have some lower cal days, but I also naturally have some higher cal days. It all evens out in the end.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If I am trying to lose/maintain... I don't try to deliberately make it up, especially if it doesn't happen frequently and my weight trend is on track. I look at the week overall.

Now if I am trying to gain that is a different story.. I will specifically make up for it the next day because I find I can fall really behind and start to maintain if I don't.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Try to figure out WHY you're under eating on those days. It interesting to me because you say you do it about 3 times a month which implies some consistency. If you can figure out why it's happening it could give you some insight as to what if anything you want to do about it.
  • Jenskiski
    Jenskiski Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When that happens (usually because of some personal or work crisis), I'm generally very hungry the next day and naturally eat more. It's not something I consciously have to do.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,773 Member
    Options
    If you're losing at a healthy (slow/moderate) weight on average (or maintaining if that's your goal) I wouldn't be too worried about 3x a month.

If it gets more frequent, you're losing too fast, or you're trying to recomp, I'd suggest working to improve it.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you're losing at a healthy (slow/moderate) weight on average (or maintaining if that's your goal) I wouldn't be too worried about 3x a month.

If it gets more frequent, you're losing too fast, or you're trying to recomp, I'd suggest working to improve it.
    im losing a pound to a pound and a half a week right now . It plateaued for a bit and then just started losing again without any changes really. I'm about to start a recomp now that I've just been medically cleared for working out. I'm 6 pounds a way from goal weight but a healthy bmi so I maybe don't care so much about my weight anymore and just want to be more fit.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    Try to figure out WHY you're under eating on those days. It interesting to me because you say you do it about 3 times a month which implies some consistency. If you can figure out why it's happening it could give you some insight as to what if anything you want to do about it.

I guess I'll have to start journaling cause I can't think of any trends!!
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend looking at MFPs weekly calorie tracking. It might be helpful to try and hit weekly goals rather than daily. In and of itself it's not a bad thing; it's similar to IF or calorie cycling. Just make sure your weekly goals are not too far off.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    I'd recommend looking at MFPs weekly calorie tracking. It might be helpful to try and hit weekly goals rather than daily. In and of itself it's not a bad thing; it's similar to IF or calorie cycling. Just make sure your weekly goals are not too far off.
    wait, how do you do that? O-o

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a treat because I have the extra calories and sometimes I save them for later in the week. I tend to be more interested in my weekly average thank hitting the mark daily.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Go to the nutrition tab (looks like a little pie chart in the app) and select "weekly" on the options bar.

That's how I do it! It's a life saver, the one good thing I took from weight watchers is the idea of a weekly calorie pool to use. Your body doesn't reset at midnight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,773 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

im losing a pound to a pound and a half a week right now . It plateaued for a bit and then just started losing again without any changes really. I'm about to start a recomp now that I've just been medically cleared for working out. I'm 6 pounds a way from goal weight but a healthy bmi so I maybe don't care so much about my weight anymore and just want to be more fit.

Given the recomp goal, I'd guess it would be good to hit protein and fat minimums daily, avoid low-balling calories for 24 hours or so after your weight workouts, and pay attention to whether low calories before a workout reduces your intensity/effectiveness. No proof it'd make any difference, but that might give you the best odds.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Usually only happens with me when I don't feel good. Generally I'll fake enough slimfasts to close out the page, and then erase them from the diary after. It irritates me when I can't "complete" a page.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I focus on my weekly average and don't stress on a single day over or under. If my weekly average has never been off for longer than a single week.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I would log them and leave them as is. A few days a month isn't a big deal. Though it could be useful to know when they're happening as it might tell you why. And you could know for sure that they're truly infrequent enough to not cause you harm.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options

Go to the nutrition tab (looks like a little pie chart in the app) and select "weekly" on the options bar.

That's how I do it! It's a life saver, the one good thing I took from weight watchers is the idea of a weekly calorie pool to use. Your body doesn't reset at midnight.

Thank you!!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Nah I just let it slide