Which gym do you find most motivating to train at?

Options
edyates81
edyates81 Posts: 7 Member
Interested to hear everyone's perspective on what constitutes the best training environment :)

Replies

• The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I think it's a very personal preference. I like my commercial gym for certain things and my Crossfit box for others.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Mine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure this would be individual specific...

I go to a small studio gym that is weight training specific...there is no cardio room and only a couple of machines off to the side if people want to warm up or cool down. The trainers their emphasize compound movements and Olympic lifting and those things are typically at the foundation of the programs they put together for their clients.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My local powerlifting-focused gym (not a chain).
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I like one but specific YMCA in my town. Tons of free weights/squat racks/platform, indoor track, cardio machines and yoga studios. At the hour I went I rarely had to wait long for anything. Can't afford it now though so my gym is my basement.
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've never been to a gym, I do every thing at home
  • SalsaJason
    SalsaJason Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Local chain gym + crossfit box. I find I work much harder in the box, probably chasing their approval, a problem, I know.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Which gym do you find most motivating to train at?

The great outdoors.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I go to a small, family run, gym that's in my village. The equipment isn't the newest (although they're getting there) and there isn't a ton of cardio machines, but it has everything I want including staff and clientelle that are used to my wierdness, a couple of squat racks, plenty of weight plates, support for my goals (including having taught me to lift) and some kick *kitten* classes. Only problems are they aren't open the hours I'd prefer at the weekend, but I've got the high school gym across the road for then and my PT only runs classes not PT sessions in there, but I love my outdoor PT sessions seems much easier when I've got the breeze/rain/snow cooling me down.
  • becky53012
    becky53012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Anytime Fitness. Flexible hours. It feels like a family. Very friendly and clean. I love it. My work does reimbursement too so thats a plus ☺
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Home gym and the great outdoors.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I go to a commercial gym...it's a pretty diverse mix of people (a sizeable powerlifting group and recreational, competitive bodybuilders, and "regular" people). I worked out at home and was bored and less motivated.

I would prefer a powerlifting gym at this point, but there isn't a local one. We did just get another squat rack though.
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If I could row on the water, my gym would be outdoors, but living in New Mexico kind of precludes that, so my favorite gym is the one with several rowing machines.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    MMA Gym. It changed my life. Walked in on a whim and never went back to a traditional gym - I frankly hate them and they are the reason I was never consistent with excercise in my 30s.

I realized I could get killer workouts without ever having to run, or lift weights again. I dropped 85lbs and am still leaning out while being in the best over all shape of my life.

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Not a gym kinda gal. I love running through my neighbourhood
    I love skating on our local outdoor rink
    On the ice is where I get my most favourite workouts
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    Both the gyms I go to
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    The river, in a rowing shell, whenever possible.

But I do love my Y. Multiple locations in my medium-sized metro area, lots of classes, pools, diverse equipment, clean, well-maintained, friendly staff.
    Statewide, reciprocal arrangements let me use other Ys on a temporary basis, as do some nationally.

My favorite feature of my Y: Everyone is there . . . fit people, fat people, people with various physical limitations or intellectual challenges, all economic classes (it's expensive, but there's Silver Sneakers and economic-need scholarships), old people, kids and even toddlers/babies, muscle-obsessed grunting bros, hijabi women, triathletes, old guys who only like to hang out & talk big in the jacuzzi, people of many nationalities (I regularly hear Spanish, Korean, and other languages in the locker room), every race. Everyone is friendly & treated well.

I love being around that diversity - so vibrant. I've been to other gyms locally - not the same, not even close.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I exercise in a few different locations, and I always get the best exercise when I'm in some sort of "class". I get my best weight lifting workouts in commercial gyms for some reason. I have a full gym at home, and even if I pump music it's hard to get into the same kind of "zone" and I don't know why.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!