Weight loss question

Options
Question: If I am strictly trying to lose weight at the moment (need to lose 75lbs), is it best to track macros or just my calorie intake? Currently, I'm trying to stay under 1350 calories.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Calories matter for weight loss.

Macros can matter for how satiated/satisfied you feel. If you're hungry or having other ill effects of eating at 1350, eating at a different macro ratio could help.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    The only macro I watch is protein. My minimum is 46 with a target of 70 grams of protein a day. Protein keeps me happy.
  • Wotan48
    Wotan48 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As long as you remember that the quality of the calories matters, you should be fine just counting calories.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    In the strict sense, if you count macros they'll equal your calorie goal anyway. As others say, I watch my protein primarily, try not to have too little fat (which pretty much never happens) and let it all fall where it may.
  • LinserSE
    LinserSE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Macros are recommended, but not strict to lose weight. Tracking calories will prove more effective when trying to achieve your goal... As long as you end in a daily deficit of calories for a day, and pack in the various nutrients your body requires, macros don't really matter much unless you're gluten intolerant or vegan/vegetarian.
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I do both... I try to meet my calories based on my macros.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 30 pounds so far and I've only been tracking calories. Macro tracking can help you feel more full by making sure you're eating enough protein, but are not required for weight loss.