This time it feels real.

Options
georgeinthecord
georgeinthecord Posts: 84 Member
edited July 2017 in Success Stories
It's hard to post this because this time feels real. Like, I may actually reach my goals and it's scary. Also because I don't really open up about this subject. Ever.

I've lived my entire life hating the way I looked.

A few years ago I lost 99lbs. I was 1lb away from my giant goal of losing 100lbs and I woke up and weighed and looked in the mirror and still hated, HATED, the person I saw. You see magazine ads about people losing 20lbs and looking like supermodels. Well, I lost almost 5 times that much aaaaaaaand, I was still gross. I just couldn't handle it and gained a lot of my weight back.
I tried lifting weights. I tried running. I tried a combination. It was just the same outcome. Lose some, hate who I saw, and quit. It's a hard cycle to break. Everything out there just tells us how flawed we are.

After attempt 39473626, I decided it was now or never. I'm either going to buckle down and do this or I am going to get weight loss surgery. Anyone who knows me, knows that is the LAST thing I wanna do. I have no limitations... it's a giant cop out.

Around this time, I saw a post from @nourishandeat (Instagram!) that said "if hating yourself could have made you happy, you would have gotten there already. Try something different." And something just clicked. It just changed my perspective on everything.

I still am not crazy about how I look, but I am incredibly proud of the work that I've done. That I did. No one else did it for me, I did. I was the one who was getting up at 5am to run. I am the one who joined a weight management clinic and a gym totally out of my comfort zone to improve myself. I am the one who is skipping the not so great food to eat something healthy. (Although I legit still eat too much bad stuff, but it's a process, right?

I'm fighting through my emotion and posting this because this makes it official. The negative self-talk has gotta stop. I wanna succeed. I deserve to succeed. And I will succeed.

And just in case someone who is struggling is reading this, you deserve it too.

afihulhr58gl.jpg

(if it matters to anyone, the comparison pics are an 82lb difference.)

Replies

• BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy you posted this!! It's so inspiring and will help someone today.... :star::star:
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation. Congrats. Hope you're learning to love yourself a little more every day and I'm sure your words will inspire many
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Fantastic B)
  • Zac1644
    Zac1644 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Bro that's awesome! Great work!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    "if hating yourself could have made you happy, you would have gotten there already. Try something different." And something just clicked. It just changed my perspective on everything.{/quote]

Good for you. It took a lot of co-pays for psychological counseling and reflection to finally get to the point of accepting that I was the only one who made my choices of what to think about me. If I choose to be happy, I can be. No one is stopping me.

I think you are cute as a button in both pictures. (I can use expressions like cute as a button because I am at least old enough to be your mother.) That smile is killer. The dimples, too!
  • WildAngelJoy
    WildAngelJoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    George...I am proud to call you a friend and an inspiration!! This post will touch many people...so many of us hide the way we feel, hate the way we look, feel we don't deserve happiness. We are out own worst critics!! We need self love before we can turn things around (it is a process) and we DO deserve happiness. You look fab in both pics but you know what?? In the "before" pic, I see a forced smile. In the "now" pic, I see a smile with REAL happiness. I'm so proud to be a friend along your journey, you deserve the best and you've done hard work. Blessings to you and your beautiful family :) Joy
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Great progress, physically and otherwise! :-)
  • Nmarine1996
    Nmarine1996 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!!!
  • EJBarner
    EJBarner Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    George, you are looking fantastic -- and most importantly, you look HAPPY. Congratulations on your progress so far, and on your perspective shift that got you here! That moment of changing perspective really is worth its weight in gold. Well done, you!!
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You are great looking guy! Thank You for sharing your success story and so true!
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Not just on the weight loss, but your change of mindset, your new healthy attitude, just everything. Good job!
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Legit! I love this quote. I've tried self-loathing as a way of getting healthy... wonder why it never stuck! :) You have to keep being proud of the progress and you have to feel you deserve what you've worked for in order to create lasting change, and self-loathing undoes all that. Love trumps hate always... hate eventually runs out of steam :)
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    So good to read this today. I don't take my pictures often and dodge them as often as I can. I know how daunting it is to post publically. I did it and felt kind of good. You look great in both pictures, in the second one you're shining with happiness! Well done!
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Congratulations :)) I needed this today too. Inspiration. Awesome life change, well done :#
  • smudge521
    smudge521 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think you are extremely attractive both before and after!!! Thank you for sharing your very personal struggle. It is always amazing to find out what someone is thinking when you would never have guessed it. You should be really proud of your accomplishment. Yours is a very inspirational story. Thanks for sharing.
  • kattgirl1998
    kattgirl1998 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow, amazing post! You look sooooooooo good, however your change in mindset and the joy that is clearly on your face and in your eyes is what is most inspiring. Your struggle resonates deeply with me as I am terribly hard on myself, too, as you well know. :-) I am constantly fighting the negative self talk, too. I will think I am fat and gross and get frustrated with my plateau and sometimes it is debilitating. I think you are incredibly strong and brave to share and I am glad you did. Thank you for the incredible inspiration to keep trying no matter how many times we fall. So proud to be your friend in this journey and don't know what I would do now without your inspiration, kindness, positive attitude and support. You're the best!
  • georgeinthecord
    georgeinthecord Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I will say that a lot of the joy in the picture is because I just finished having dinner with my bestie. hahaha :smiley:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!