Cast Iron Skillets

Options
orangegato
orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
I am interested in getting a cast iron skillet, but was wondering if there is any real benefit from spending a lot of money to buy one of the newer artisanal type skillets? The less expensive ones are made by Lodge or Staub. And the expensive ones made by Finex or Field claim to have a smoother surface and are better. Anyone know anything about this? thanks

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Meh, my Lodge one was $12 new and it has served me very well. They require a little more care than normal pans, but the flavor and ability to stick it in the oven is great.

Maybe buy the less expensive one and see if you use it? Mine doesn't stick, so not sure what the benefit to a smoother surface would be :shrug:.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I looked for one at thrift stores, and the beat up rusted ones were only about a dollar less than a new one! I was surprised.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't buy a rusted one, as rust in your food isn't good. I agree, go with a cheaper one and see if you use it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Another Lodge fan here. I have 4 pieces I use regularly (12" skillet, chicken fryer, 8" skillet, and 6" skillet) in addition to my Dutch oven for camping. Most of my pieces are at least 30 years old and well used. I don't like using anything else.

The chicken fryer (deep skillet with a lid) is perfect for things I brown on the stovetop and roast in the oven and I use some of the others in the oven too. Nothing like baking cornbread in a cast iron pan. You preheat it, butter it, pour in the batter and bake. Perfect texture with a nice crust.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    We just have a regular one and it's awesome. Especially for steaks!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I love mine for cooking steaks and fish. The important thing is after you season it to never let soap ever touch it. After cooking just rinse with hot water and wipe it out. Give it a coat of vegetable oil to prevent rust and you are ready for the next meal.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Lodge is fine. Just do your research so you know how to season it and take care of it. Don't wash it with soap..EVER.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Lodge is good to go. Also consider their carbon steel pan - I use this more frequently than my cast iron. IT has many of hte same properties and is easier to wield.

YOU CAN DEFINITELY USE SOAP WHEN NEEDED. Use a little bit of soap and very hot water. I use soap 100% of the time when cooking fish or other stuff with potentially super stinky oils.

Soap is 100% fine. It's an old wive's tale that it ruins the seasoning. Those people just enjoy unhealthy, rancid oil sitting on top of the seasoning.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-and-care/cast-iron-lets-cook

As far as surface: A glassy, smooth surface has great non-stick properties. However, once your rougher lodge is properly seasoned (the oil has polymerized,) it's just fine. (They come seasoned these days anyway, so.) Just wash the pan ASAP and don't let it sit, it'll be fine.

You can use plastic scrapers (lodge sells some) to get the stuck on stuff off.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Lodge is the way to go. Inexpensive but great quality. It's kind of easy to wreck the initial seasoning it comes with but just put a little oil on it with a paper towel and let it sit in a hot oven for a few minutes after using it for the first several uses and it will develop a nice seasoning that even my hubby, with his SOS pads, can't wreck totally.

Of course, if you find an old rusty one at a yard sale, there are plenty of sites explaining how to bring it back to life. The new ones will never be as non-stick as the old ones because of changes to how they are manufactured. Old ones were hand polished and had smoother surfaces than the new ones.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Lodge is the way to go. Inexpensive but great quality. It's kind of easy to wreck the initial seasoning it comes with but just put a little oil on it with a paper towel and let it sit in a hot oven for a few minutes after using it for the first several uses and it will develop a nice seasoning that even my hubby, with his SOS pads, can't wreck totally.

Of course, if you find an old rusty one at a yard sale, there are plenty of sites explaining how to bring it back to life. The new ones will never be as non-stick as the old ones because of changes to how they are manufactured. Old ones were hand polished and had smoother surfaces than the new ones.

In 50 years the new ones will be as good as the old. Regular care and maintenance is why the old one's are better.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The other thing I love about my Lodge cast iron is that I can pour water or something else into the hot pan to deglaze it without running the risk of it warping from the sudden temp change. These things are pretty close to indestructible. The worst thing you can do to it is get a thick coating of meat bits and oils stuck to it. If you do, just use steel wool to clean it and then re-season it.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I have my mother's old Lodge pans (my mother died more than 20 years ago) and I love them. So versatile and really easy to clean (I've never used soap on them).
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 years old. I have a new(er) Lodge skillet and a skillet that belonged to my own mother before I was born. I have no idea what brand the "antique" skillet is, but it doesn't get more seasoned than continual use and good care for 60 or so years. The Lodge is almost as good...sticks a bit more, but that's to be expected.

The way I care for my cast iron is simple. A plastic scouring pad (the mesh kind), occasionally a nylon scraper (Pampered Chef) to clean off the pan with VERY hot water, dry over the burner, thin layer of olive oil wiped on with a paper towel. If something is really stuck on, put water in the skillet and boil it stovetop to loosen it up prior to cleaning. I'm not going to say I've never touched it with soap...but it's been a rare and very quick swipe.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I figure it's a balance in happy living at our house. Hubby leaps up and does the dishes after supper. I hate doing dishes. He is a clean freak about dishes so it's either insist I clean the cast iron or occasionally renew its seasoning because he just can't help himself and grabs the SOS. I'll "let him" scrub that pan. LOL
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I have Lodge, Staub and Le Creuset skillets, dutch ovens and grill pans. I have not found too many differences between them and have found that as long as you take good care of the pan, the brand doesn't matter too much.