Gym advice needed

Options
Hi, All.

I started my journey about 3 years ago. I had gone north of 17st 6ibs (111kg) and I decided enough was enough. I made the decision on Feb 15th this year to stop drinking alcohol and it's just been 5 months. I'm not a massive drinker but the continual stealth calories of wine and beer were really working against me. It's actually not been too bad.

My progress has been hit and miss, but after Christmas 2016 I've been super focused and with a regular daily intake of 1500 calories, I'm floating at around 14st 3ibs (90kg). I've recently joined a gym. I've still a decent amount of fat on my tummy, so now want to focus on toning and hopefully getting some muscle developed.

I have no idea what to do now at this point. I'm going to the gym of an evening with my wife. We tend to do some rowing, cycling and I do incline walking on the runners (I've got a very weak ankle from multiple breaks from my rugby days so struggle to run on it). Any advice would be massively appreciated. I've flirted with doing some weights but unsure what would work best. I'd love to increase muscle on my chest and arms really. Open to all advice and a few new friends on the app for moral support.

Matt

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I vote for Stronglifts :)
    But, really- the best exercise is the one you love and you do consistently.
  • filmguyuk
    filmguyuk Posts: 20 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    What's a stronglift? Pardon my ignorance?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    filmguyuk wrote: »
    What's a stronglift? Pardon my ignorance?

Stronglifts 5x5 is a strength training program based on the compound lifts: squat, bench, deadlift and overhead press and row. The program can be used to maintain muscle mass and strength as you lose weight, or even build muscle when the time comes. An app cam be downloaded that will walk you through each workout, telling you what weight to lift each time on each lift. The weigh increases in a linear fashion. It is meant for a beginner.
  • LinserSE
    LinserSE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'd ask the supervisor or trainer at your local gym for a machine tour if you dont know what the various machines do or what would be best, and maybe ask them for their pro opinion, but the best exercises for what you want I can think of are seated military presses, assisted/unassisted pull-ups, bench pressing, triceps and chest dips.

Hope you come up with a routine you enjoy and continue your success!(:
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I've been sort of making it up as I go along, too. I do 20 mins of cardio and then either abs and upper, or lower body. I do arms on a day when I'm going to be skating in the evening so I don't fatigue my legs too much. I've been spending maybe 30-40 minutes on strength each day since about March and I have nice definition in my arms and a strong core, legs are good. I do what feels like a well rounded variety of exercises I enjoy doing. With no specific goal I don't need to be all technical about anything and it's working for me. I feel out my "rest" days, they just show themselves naturally and those days I'll just do a couple of 15-20 minute sessions on various cardio machines and call it a day.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts 5X5. Simple weight lifting program with only five lifts to learn. You can check it out at stronglifts.com, and download the app. The app makes it wicked easy. Just go to the gym and do what the app tells you. :D It's only 3 times a week, so you can have some cardio days, too, if you want.
  • RichJBenham
    RichJBenham Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Does your gym do classes as if so, i highly recommend "body pump" or anything with a similar tone. Also look up "fasted cardio" :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,456 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting, barbell exercises. I love them! They are my kind of yoga. Yoga makes me restless, the stretches are too easy, and 'think of nothing' makes me want to run around. When I lift weights I focus on my whole body and the interaction of the different groups of mucles. This is something I find so relaxing
  • filmguyuk
    filmguyuk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Cheers for the advice. Will check out Stronglifts and see how I get on. Thanks all!