Laughing off an *kitten* that called me "fatty"!

Options
asmithteach
asmithteach Posts: 10 Member
I don't normally start these discussion boards, but it's been part of my journey this week and I've decided to share.

Last week during a game, the goalie on the team my boyfriend's hockey team was playing against heard me laugh after he screamed "*kitten* you, ref" after a particularly sexy snipe (that's a really good shot- think like "sniper" good). He yelled out to me to "shut up, fatty," asking if I "had goalie pads on, because it sure looked like it." This previously could have LEGIT devastated me... instead I laughingly responded, "You should've seen me a year ago! I look good and you still suck, Swiss Cheese!" We ended up sharing a few laughs throughout the game through the glass and he later apologized- not specifically for the "fatty" comment, I imagine he may have been too ashamed to bring it up again.

I've spent the week really thinking about it- double checking myself in the mirror and doing my normal self-deprecating jokes (because I ended up telling my boyfriend because his mom was there and I know she would have eventually) to prove I was okay... and then I realized that I AM okay. It hurt my feelings, sure- BUT I also know how hard I've been working and will continue to work to reach my goals, regardless of temporary setbacks or small-minded people! I've got some amazing support in my corner and I'm back to both doing things I love and thought we're out of my life back when I was morbidly obese (I'm playing fastpitch softball again for the first time in years!!) and embarking on new adventures and experiences (like hiking and zip lines I had once been 70 lbs too heavy for!)

Overall, I'm feeling healthy, happy, strong, and motivated!! While I still way a ways to go, I feel like a success!!

Replies

• Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Because you ARE a success! Way to not let him "steal" your joy at the accomplishments you've made thus far! Keep going!! :-)
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Good for you don't let the jerk bother you you're doing awesome
    Next time ask if he skates as well as he makes saves haha
  • majess1022
    majess1022 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You look happy, healthy and strong! Seems like he went for a cheap and trite insult that had nothing to do with you personally.
  • asmithteach
    Options
    @JeromeBarry1 there is no better props that can be given to a history teacher!
  • asmithteach
    Options
    *are #facepalm #andimateacher!
  • Nmarine1996
    Nmarine1996 Posts: 166 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Amazing story! Very inspiring :)
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    So proud of you in SO many ways! As JeromeBarry1 said, what an excellent come back line at the perfect time! But especially because you had the confidence to know where you've been and where you are going and that you are going strong! Way to be happy and satisfied in the moment! Keep up the great work!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Luckily no snide comments to my face but I feel very much like you do. It's been a tough road but so worth it. The naysayers have no idea what a big deal it is to be where we are now.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    You are stronger than me OP. So glad you were able to take it in stride. I'd have been getting dragged out in cuffs anx no new friends would have been made lol.
  • Dovely40
    Dovely40 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! Don't let anyone get you down. You are strong!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!