Wow! Losing is tough when you're 50+ years young!

Options
2»

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and am finding that MFP and more exercise is really working. It is a challenge, for sure. I decided that I have no timeline so I don't feel pressured to reach my goal, but logging in my weight and seeing progress is a great motivator. I'm hopeful that a firmer body that can take part in more activities (I started cycling, what a joy!) will distract from the lines in my face!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and have lost 75# with 10 to go. This is the first time in my life (since high school) that I've not been overweight. I also switched to vegetarian in March and am loving the way I look and feel. I've not found it harder this time, but it has taken me 18 months. But I am absolutely committed to keep it off.

@Sabinecolada - I totally understand the giddiness of a new relationship and how awesome and exciting that can be. eating and drinking is a fun way to spend time together, but so is cooking at home.

I have a thought for you. If you -- if you frequent the same handful places, have a pre-planned meal and get the same thing. Like maybe a Greek salad, dressing on the side and one glass of prosecco. You can still enjoys each other's company, but that might help keep calories in check.
  • heatherluuu
    heatherluuu Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have found that weight loss is much more challenging in my 40s than it was in my 30s!
    My metabolism seems to be saying, "no ma'am!". I'm working to build muscle to make my body more efficient where I used to just throw in some cardio, if anything.
  • UpcyclerGirl
    UpcyclerGirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm 58, and this is my 4th time in 6 years at MFP. The first was in 2011, and I lost 65 lbs by on my one-year "logiversary". Hit a bad plateau that lasted 6 mos, then gave up. Gained back 50 lbs. Since then, I've been a yo-yo. Can't seem to find my motivation. I obviously screwed up my metabolism so it's twice as hard now. But here I am...again...determined to make it work.

I re-joined MFP 2 weeks ago. At my first week weigh-in, I had GAINED half a pound. That derailed me for another week. I am not so much a stress eater as I am an emotional eater. Bad news has me reaching for the bad food, and lately, life has been very stressful. So I am back again.

I could use some friends. Please add me. :)
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and have never really had significant weight issues most of my life. In fact, when I was younger I was one of those skinny people that was kind of made fun of. I could and did eat anything I wanted. It was probably my 30s (and 2 children) that got the weight gain going. I've always hovered between being the right weight and being up to 20 lbs higher than I wanted. That 20 lb mark definitely hit me around the menopause time.

I did MFP last year and lost most of it. I also did C25K. Then winter came and I couldn't go outside anymore, then I got stressed over some health issues and started eating again. Gained most of it back in what seemed like a very short time. Then at the end of May, I thought, THIS IS RIDICULOUS. I went back on MFP but at a more reasonable calorie deficit. I have managed some, very slowly, but I'm feeling better about it.

My problem is: exercise. I just can't get going. Here's my excuses:

1. It's so freaking hot outside.
    2. I'm tired of trying to take my life in my hands and cross the busy road to get me to the "walkable" area.
    3. My commute is 1 hour each way.
    4. I'm the cook in the house so I'm preparing meals when I get home.
    5. I get up at 4AM.
    6. If I join a gym or something, I lose my entire evening getting there, working out, and getting home.
    7. Absolutely NO motivation for it.

But I need to do something. While I've lost weight and I'm a good size, I don't like the way I look anymore. I need a good weight program. But I need to do it at home. Getting out is just not going to happen because of my job.

I know that no one can give me the magic words. I just wanted to whine.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Ugh, it is so SLOW going. 53 here and even with 2 hour+ exercise marathons in the pool 4 x a week, and a significant calorie deficit under NEAT (and not even eating back exercise calories) most every day- I'm still only losing about a pound every 10 days.

I weigh my food, cook 95% of the time, log everything and MFP says I should be losing somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 pounds a week. So the scale showing maybe .75 pound a week is very depressing.

Happy to be added as friend. My struggle now is to stay motivated working so hard for results I can hardly see/feel.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I'm 53 and have never really had significant weight issues most of my life. In fact, when I was younger I was one of those skinny people that was kind of made fun of. I could and did eat anything I wanted. It was probably my 30s (and 2 children) that got the weight gain going. I've always hovered between being the right weight and being up to 20 lbs higher than I wanted. That 20 lb mark definitely hit me around the menopause time.

I did MFP last year and lost most of it. I also did C25K. Then winter came and I couldn't go outside anymore, then I got stressed over some health issues and started eating again. Gained most of it back in what seemed like a very short time. Then at the end of May, I thought, THIS IS RIDICULOUS. I went back on MFP but at a more reasonable calorie deficit. I have managed some, very slowly, but I'm feeling better about it.

2. I'm tired of trying to take my life in my hands and cross the busy road to get me to the "walkable" area.
    5. I get up at 4AM.
    6. If I join a gym or something, I lose my entire evening getting there, working out, and getting home.

But I need to do something. While I've lost weight and I'm a good size, I don't like the way I look anymore. I need a good weight program. But I need to do it at home. Getting out is just not going to happen because of my job.

1. It's so freaking hot outside. - Adjust for the heat. If you are a walker, carry water with you and slow it down a bit.
    2. I'm tired of trying to take my life in my hands and cross the busy road to get me to the "walkable" area.Can you join a gym and walk indoors? This would eliminate #'s 1&2.
    3. My commute is 1 hour each way. So is mine. I know it's tough. See my suggestion to #8

4. I'm the cook in the house so I'm preparing meals when I get home.Prepare food over the weekend to reheat during the week.
    5. I get up at 4AM. Why do you get up at 4am? I ask because I do the same, but it is because I hit the gym when it opens at 5am.
    6. If I join a gym or something, I lose my entire evening getting there, working out, and getting home. Find one close to home or on your way to/from work. Perhaps find one close to work and go at lunch?
    7. Absolutely NO motivation for it. That has to come from within. My suggestion is to make yourself go for a couple of weeks. Think of it like an appointment you must keep. After doing it for a couple of weeks, it will become a habit. Also, maybe shoot to go over the weekend and/or 2-3 days during the week.

• LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options

5. I get up at 4AM.

I'm not in the spot you're in as I only have a few minutes to get to work, but I still find myself having problems "finding time" to work out. I bought an elliptical and do that 20 minutes (most) mornings, before getting ready for work. Then virtually every day I walk at lunch time. It's is SO freaking hot...so I walk in a large, nearby office building where a number of workers walk the 5th floor, round and round. OR - and this is so cool - I walk the state capitol building! It's open to the public every day and those cool marble floors are awesome! I've gone there often enough the guards are starting to recognize me. lol

Find a nearby building that has a large square floor plan and walk the halls. Take 30 minutes, then eat the other 30 of your lunch hour.

Of course, this only works if you actually have an hour for lunch. : :/
  • sunsqueak
    sunsqueak Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    All of you, I'm with you. This article helped me put things in perspective and provided some 'baby steps' to help me along the way. Still on the journey, and I haven't arrived but: http://www.rd.com/health/diet-weight-loss/how-to-lose-weight/
    Hope it helps! Good luck.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    @LeanButNotMean44, I get up at 4AM because I have to meet my carpool at 5AM. I am at work about an hour later and then work at least a 9 hour day.

@LadyLilion, that sounds great walking to the capitol and having a destination. I am in a secured type facility and I cannot get into other buildings without a need to have that access. And while my office building is large, even within the floor we are somewhat controlled as to where we can go.

But overall, I can incorporate walking into my day somehow. What I'm looking to do is a defined strength training workout. I just need to find a way to do it that doesn't make me feel like crap when I have to perform at my high-stress job.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

5. I get up at 4AM.

Try KettleBell exercises at home, small monetary and time investment. Tightens and tones. I frequently work 95 hours per week and still find 10-15 minutes 5-7 times/ week for a quick workout.
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm 67 and feel like maybe 35. 11 years ago I lost 70 lbs. It took me a year, but it was easy to lose. I have gained everything back and some. The reason? I didn't and I don't know how to maintain. At that time I had tried to join WW, just to learn to maintain. Now I don't want to loose 70 lbs, I want to get to weight I'll be comfortable with - I don't have a set number. I'm obese, but thank G-d my health is OK - no high blood pressure, no diabetes.

Since April I lost 17.5 lbs and today I crossed 200 lbs mark, so this is encouraging. Sometimes I lose my cool and I eat everything in sight, but I make a point to get back to better eating the very next day.

If you'll calm down your internal angst and will accept that if you will not lose weight tomorrow, you'll die, than it gets easier and monotonous, and that's what you want in weight loss - monotony, nice and easy, nice and steady..

My motto: ONE DAY AT THE TIME, ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER, AND TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY

Good luck!
  • purplefibermom
    purplefibermom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and starting over again. I've been slowly inching up in pounds over the years and I'm not happy with what I'm seeing in the mirror. I know it is in my hands - need to make changes slowly. When I try to go all in I succeed for a little while and then burn out. This time I'm trying to add one or two changes at a time so hopefully they will stick.

I had lost almost 25 pounds over a year ago as my son was getting married and I wanted to look a bit better in my dress. I was eating more veggies, had banished sugar totally from my life and was exercising regularly. I'm still eating more veggies but sugar has crept its way back in and my exercise habits have dwindled down to every once in a while.

Time to get back on track and be willing to forgive myself when I'm not so perfect.

Agree with Mikesmom re: kettlebells - when I was using them regularly the fat seemed to melt away. Need to pull them out and start swinging them again :)
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    sjack44 wrote: »
    I'd love some more support! I've just turned 50 and am finding it slow going :)

Stay with it. It gets better each day.
  • Sabinecolada
    Sabinecolada Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back guys.
    Coue Coue: I have read a lot of conflicting reports on walking, mostly good but some articles suggest it can be a waste of time. I however am going to go with your take on it, loving the "feel good" component and like they say if it "feels good" you are more likely to keep doing it. It's got to be better than sitting around. Having said that it's winter here and freezing. We still try and walk but give it a miss when it is raining. I have also started walking faster and added weights to a back pack to make up for the time we don't walk. Also the weights are helping me to condition myself for when Bear and I go hiking in the hills.

Jerome: Wow you're good at this, your comment "You're using food and alcohol as a social cement rather than as a fuel" hit the nail on the head. Ouch! And yes I have started becoming more aware of what I am putting into my body and doing a little less 'mindless' eating. It also helps that I have a lovely little skirt (that is a little too tight, alright a lot too tight) hanging on the pantry door. As for eating out, we have slowed down on that a little as it's too cold to venture out. But yes I do need to put more thought into it, less dressing will be a good start.

Nowine4me: Thanks so much for your input. A new relationship sure does feel like you are on a non-stop party merry-go-round or in our case a roller-coaster! Great advice only problem 1 glass of wine easily becomes 2 and then before I know it we have ordered a bottle. Well that use to be the case. As I mentioned earlier I am now becoming more aware and less mindless of what I am putting in my mouth. Practicing self awareness with wine as well as food, not easy I can tell you, as we live in a wine region. But yes I am now just having one glass with my meal and I have taken it a step further and have limited myself to one glass per day. One for Friday and one for Saturday. There I said it, now I have to commit. Except for Friday as we are having our "Christmas in July" party for Cellar Door. Did I mention I work in a Winery. :naughty::)
    Thanks guys,
    Sabine
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back guys.
    Coue Coue: I have read a lot of conflicting reports on walking, mostly good but some articles suggest it can be a waste of time. I however am going to go with your take on it, loving the "feel good" component and like they say if it "feels good" you are more likely to keep doing it. It's got to be better than sitting around. Having said that it's winter here and freezing. We still try and walk but give it a miss when it is raining. I have also started walking faster and added weights to a back pack to make up for the time we don't walk. Also the weights are helping me to condition myself for when Bear and I go hiking in the hills.

Jerome: Wow you're good at this, your comment "You're using food and alcohol as a social cement rather than as a fuel" hit the nail on the head. Ouch! And yes I have started becoming more aware of what I am putting into my body and doing a little less 'mindless' eating. It also helps that I have a lovely little skirt (that is a little too tight, alright a lot too tight) hanging on the pantry door. As for eating out, we have slowed down on that a little as it's too cold to venture out. But yes I do need to put more thought into it, less dressing will be a good start.

Nowine4me: Thanks so much for your input. A new relationship sure does feel like you are on a non-stop party merry-go-round or in our case a roller-coaster! Great advice only problem 1 glass of wine easily becomes 2 and then before I know it we have ordered a bottle. Well that use to be the case. As I mentioned earlier I am now becoming more aware and less mindless of what I am putting in my mouth. Practicing self awareness with wine as well as food, not easy I can tell you, as we live in a wine region. But yes I am now just having one glass with my meal and I have taken it a step further and have limited myself to one glass per day. One for Friday and one for Saturday. There I said it, now I have to commit. Except for Friday as we are having our "Christmas in July" party for Cellar Door. Did I mention I work in a Winery. :naughty::)
    Thanks guys,
    Sabine

Nothing wrong with walking! At the very least, it feels good and offers a contribution toward bone density. It also helps burn calories.

My husband and I walk several evenings each week ... that's our "date". It's a time when we can get away from the TV, computers, etc. and just talk to each other. In addition, we've built our relationship around cycling. We don't talk much doing that, but it is a shared experience.
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'll be 50 next month, feeling old and slow going with the weightloss , pessimistic , please feel free to add me!