DOMS - What works for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I've found not overtraining helps tremendously.

DOMS isn't caused by overtraining.

Overtraining isn't DOMS.

Fair enough. But, overtraining (in the many forms that exist) can lead to DOMS.

But, you get my point, don't workout to the point where DOMS enters the picture.

It's a banner day. I agree with rdi.

DOMS is a normal and healthy part of expanding your horizons and getting stronger.

Certainly you can avoid it. But there's no benefit to avoiding it.

haha craziness. Happened earlier with @ninerbuff today too. Maybe the start of something new haha
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I normally get DOMS when trying something new (good DOMS) or when I miss workouts (totally preventable DOMS). Of course the best way to deal with soreness in not to have it in the first place, so don't flake on workouts. When I get them I feel best when I stay active. Just up walking around doing housework and stuff. Being stuck in a chair for an hour is absolute torture the moment I get up. Stretching the muscles makes me feel better. Also a warm bath. I like to use Epsom salt. I have no idea if it actually helps, but it makes the water feel nice.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't get DOMS anymore and seldom got them b4. If you regularly work all of your muscle groups in one way or the other, you shouldn't either.

In the meantime, the only effective "solution" for DOMs in my experience is resting the affected muscles until the soreness goes away. Some will say just work thru the soreness but that could cause an injury instead if the soreness is making other problems.

So its best IMO to just let your muscles rest until the DOMs go away. You can take pain relievers, get massages and/or take a steam or sauna to make yourself feel better but the muscles really aren't ready to go until the soreness goes away.

This approach has worked well for me and should work for others. The only problem is having enough patience to allow it to succeed.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Overtraining isn't DOMS.

But, you get my point, don't workout to the point where DOMS enters the picture.

It's a banner day. I agree with rdi.

DOMS is a normal and healthy part of expanding your horizons and getting stronger.

Certainly you can avoid it. But there's no benefit to avoiding it.

Just had the same thought.

Because yeah. Why would I avoid actually making my muscles work to become stronger, just to avoid a little bit of swelling and pain that is resolved ... if I move more?

I'm doing a half marathon on Sunday. My quads have been killing me since my last long run. But they feel better after I go to barre. And when I take Aleve.

Should I no longer do long runs, just to avoid that soreness? I certainly hope not.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Overtraining isn't DOMS.

That's not true at all. A new or returnining trainee can get severe DOMS just from a light workout. In fact, I just took a week off of training for vacation and I now have crippling DOMS just from doing a light squat workout (with literally 1/3 the weight I normally use).

An advanced trainee may have to deal with DOMS nearly all the time from doing high-volume workouts (which may be necessary for progress at their stage of training).

Training to avoid DOMS is unnecessary and likely counterproductive in many situations.
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had a bad case of this 2 weeks ago when I started working out. I could barely walk I mustve looked hilarious. It hurt to do anything but I still went walking each day and did the workout again 2 days later. DOMS usually lasts about 3 days then gets better but this does depend on what your workout is. I did feel continuing with the exercise helped
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    good soak...do a lot of low level activity...worse thing you can do is nothing, they'll just get worse.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Patience.
    Learning to pace myself.
    Light activity/exercise.
    A hot soak feels good but doesn't really change anything.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling and some chocolate milk. Works every time :)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Plenty of water
    Walking
    Soak in a hot bath (if it is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    As far as preventing it, I've found that doing cardio before lifting helps. Not just a little warmup, but hard work for at least 15 minutes. Then rest for a few minutes, then lift.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    As far as preventing it, I've found that doing cardio before lifting helps. Not just a little warmup, but hard work for at least 15 minutes. Then rest for a few minutes, then lift.

That will compromise your lifts when you get heavier. Which may be why it's helping you, since you're not able to do a full effort.

Better to do it afterwards...
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    For me, what works is stretching, foam rolling, and taking glutamine post workout.
  • ericmarkham5
    ericmarkham5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nothing really makes it go away except time. Moving around helps get more blood flow going but it will just come back. You're best bet is to avoid it. Getting sore is not a sign of a good workout. It just means you did way more than what you are adapted to and don't have a good plan when going into the gym every day. Learn to TRAIN and not just workout.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Stretching. Ibuprofen.

Stretching yes, ibuprofen no.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I do cardio when the rest of my body doesn't work. It increases blood flow through the whole body and I can do upper body stretch when I am fast walking, using 1 lb dumbbells to stretch and work the affected areas. I can have incredibly sore hamstrings or calves, and still be able to at least walk quickly, even when I'm hobbling when the muscles are cooled down, lol.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Nothing really makes it go away except time. Moving around helps get more blood flow going but it will just come back. You're best bet is to avoid it. Getting sore is not a sign of a good workout. It just means you did way more than what you are adapted to and don't have a good plan when going into the gym every day. Learn to TRAIN and not just workout.

Are you saying that DOMS is a bad thing. I very much disagree. Anyone that is continuously pushing themselves in the gym with fairly often experience some degree of DOMS.

There is a very big difference between the DOMS someone might experience trying to do 500 pushups in a workout on their first day in the gym, compared to someone who is highly trained and changes a component of a lift to increase instability, intensity or volume. Both will more than likely experience some DOMS, one may be almost debilitating, the other just a slight soreness almost unnoticeable. Both are degrees of DOMS, and I personally don't agree that because you are getting sore you aren't following a good plan, if anything, I would say there is a better chance that you are following a poor plan if you NEVER feel any soreness after the first couple weeks of training, I believe that would be a sign that your program needs some changing.