Does drinking warm or cold water help stimulate weight loss?

Options
Does drinking warm or cold water help stimulate weight loss?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    No. I wish. A calorie deficit will though.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Drinking one over the other won't help weight loss, that said, staying hydrated will help if your weight loss is being hindered by your sodium intake and/or hormonal water retention.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    not directly no...but drinking water can stave off cravings, can help keep you hydrated so you don't retain a lot of water, helps with keeping appetite in check and it good for you.

• Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    There are a few studies out that say cold water burns more calories. There are also studies that say cold water is not good for you. So my advice is to DRINK WATER! If you need it ice cold in order to consume it, then so be it. If you like it room temperature, then go for it. Do whatever it takes to consume more water to achieve all of the great benefits that the previous posters mentioned.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Yeah cold water actually does burn more calories than warm water. However it is so small, in the single digits of calories to warm up the water that you would die from water poisoning before any actual weigh loss was gained from it. Other than that you would be talking about like 1 pound over many years.

Being concerned about it is what they call majoring in the minors. Its not an effective use of time or effort.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Yes, apparently, cold water will burn like, an extra calorie or two, but it's not significant enough to really worry about. I happen to like my water tooth-achingly cold, so I guess that's just a bonus. But I wouldn't choose your temperature based on calories burned.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    There are only 3 ways to lose weight a calorie deficit, a calorie deficit, or a calorie deficit. Anyone of those will work.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    I'm no a professional but I drink Lipton flavored, need to brew, green tea. I really thinks this helps, energy?.... just my opinion

I've been drinking brewed iced tea for decades......this does not help weight loss directly.

There is some caffeine....maybe that's the "energy" you are referring to.

I love mixing up regular and flavored tea bags....so many combinations. So, this may help INdirectly if it keeps me from higher calorie food/beverages.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Goal179 wrote: »
    There are a few studies out that say cold water burns more calories. There are also studies that say cold water is not good for you. So my advice is to DRINK WATER! If you need it ice cold in order to consume it, then so be it. If you like it room temperature, then go for it. Do whatever it takes to consume more water to achieve all of the great benefits that the previous posters mentioned.

Why is cold water not good for you? All I can think of is how much I dislike a brain freeze.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Plain water has zero calories and will not cause weight gain or weight loss by itself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    no

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    I'm no a professional but I drink Lipton flavored, need to brew, green tea. I really thinks this helps, energy?.... just my opinion

That's because tea, like coffee, contains caffeine.