Does anybody have one "eat as many calories as you want" day a week & lose weight?

Options
124»

Replies

• maripanda
    maripanda Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In the past I have had a monthly 'day off', usually payday takeaway. Because I know that 'day off' to me means eating junk and probably too much of it...............if you are on a strict calorie controlled diet and a 'day off' means you just eat a little above that limit but still pretty healthily that's probably fine if it keeps you on track. For me, I know I wouldn't stick to being healthy, so weekly is way too much for me. Everyone is different :)
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Even if it did work you could not maintain it--binge eating leads to more excuses and more binge days. That is just my experience. This was one of my thought processes before I chose to do things the healthy way. I fought myself, bargained with myself over binge days and at the end it was just a stumbling block. You can eat all the foods you still love, but in moderation and less frequent. Binge eating or cheat days means you are rewarding a bad behavior AND your making those yummy food seem like a sin. All food is good food in moderation.
  • narspips
    narspips Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm still pretty new to this, but I had my first 'cheat day' at the weekend (went camping and had no practical way to measure what I ate or count calories). I didn't go crazy, but I didn't even try to log calories so have no idea if I ate over my deficit or not. What I've found, though, is that for a couple of days after it's been much harder than usual to stick to my limit. Before the cheat day, I had pretty much got used to my deficit but today and yesterday my appetite's been noticeably higher than normal. It's as if my body's thinking, 'that was nice, more please!'

So, going forward I'm going to keep days like that to a minimum, as while a break every now and again is probably not a bad thing in itself, going back to the deficit is the hard part!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do it every week. They are also the same ones that say they are on some sort of "plateau" (not really a plateau) because they keep going back and forth on the same 4lbs or so.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's been my experience, too. What got me to stick with weight-loss this time was pretty much sitting down with myself and admitting that once a week, after synagogue, there was going to be a refreshments buffet and I was not going to pass it up (I'd just overeat what I had at home because I'd be hungrier and feeling like I'd 'earned' a couple of extra slices of bread and a larger helping of potatoes and maybe two helpings of my lower-calorie homemade dessert by passing up a 2" piece of cake) or stick to raw veggies when everyone around me was piling the 'good' stuff on their plates.

I literally asked myself, "What do you think it'll take for you to eat, where you'll feel you got your treat and you can stop and walk away?" And then checking the calories on a frosted shortbread and two pieces of potato kugel and recognizing that 380 calories was a significant chunk of my daily allotment, but very doable.

Once I realized that I could have the "yummy food" I wanted most, free and clear, no cheating, no sneaking... the guilt went away and so did the uncontrollable desire to take more. (Yes, I'd love to have some of the other pastries and offerings, too, but I can only 'afford' so much, so I choose what I want most and stick to it. In other words, I still have the desires, but they're controllable.)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    When I do a whatever I want day once a week I'm in maintenance. No weight loss. And it isn't a pig out, just an uncounted nice, big, meal. No weight loss for me that week.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I do not have a eat anything you want day because for me that could easily be 3,000 or more calories, but I do have a "treat myself" meal, usually on Fridays. It is rarely anything crazy. I also eat less during the day to accommodate that meal.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    No, that does not work for me at all.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Have you lost weight doing that?

No way. I can eat 5000 calories in a day easy. I try to balance my calories over the week so I can indulge a little some days.

I find having a little bit of something I crave spaced out also cuts down on the binge desires. If you are constantly having a bit of what you crave, you never hit that point where you want to over eat on it.

You don't know me any my high candy diet very well, do you? I don't binge. I just greatly enjoy food and if I could eat 5000 calories of delicious food over the course of a day without gaining weight i would do so. I can only eat less than half that a day and lose weight, so that's what I stick with.
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I have my calorie goal is set at 1400 calories and Friday it's set for 1750 calories. Then I can go out with my husband for dinner. It works for me very well!