Thinner, Leaner, Stronger/General Weight Lifting tips

Options
Hey everyone! I started Thinner, Leaner, Stronger today and made it through the day 1 workout. Felt pretty good to be the only girl in the free weights section and I even surprised myself. I thought I wouldn't even be able to bench press the bar, but I was able to put a couple little plates on there, lol.

My question is for beginners on squats and deadlifts. I have watched you tubes but am honestly pretty nervous about form.

1. My gym has a squat rack that looks almost like a smith machine. The bar is basically attached to an apparatus that when you unrack it and move back, there is a square shaped archway where the bar is still attached. Is that the best equipment to use? The other option is just a bar on the ground I could add plates to. That makes me pretty nervous though.

2. What would a good starting weight be? I am supposed to warm up at 50%/70%/90% of max but have no clue what that is. I figure if i can bench 65 to start, I should be able to squat and deadlift more than that right?

3. There are no calf exercise machines. Any ideas on how i could do standing calf raises? Smith Machine would work perhaps or just stand holding dumbells?

I am completely new to classic weight training. Have done all kinds of body weight, dumbbell exercises but have always been pretty intimidated by the big equipment.

Thanks!

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    No squat rack? I'd be thinking new gym. Cleaning the bar of the floor will really limit your weight. I tried a Smith machine in a hotel gym once and it felt very unnatural. I'd try doing goblet squats with dumbbells, assuming your gym has heavy ones. Maybe look for a better equipped gym for when you outgrow the dumbbells. The Smith machine or holding dumbbells would probably work for the calf raises.
  • ericmarkham5
    ericmarkham5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah I second finding a gym with a real squat rack. The Smith machine is extremely suboptimal. I recommend Mark Rippetoes YouTube videos on the squat and deadlift to really learn how to do it. A good program for beginners wouldn't have you use percentage based stuff because it assumes you have a good all out 1 rep max that you can base it on. Just do 5 reps with a certain weight and if it's easy add 5-15lb and do another set of 5 reps and keep adding weight till it gets challenging and go from there. Calf raises don't do anything, just stick with the squat and deadlift. And yes in general you can deadlift more than you can squat and you can squat more than you bench.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    1. That sounds like a Smith machine. I don't know how you could possibly deadlift in that. Does the gym have bumper plates (the rubbery looking ones)? That's what I use for deadlifts...the 10s are the same height as an iron 45. Bumper plates make it easier and better to pull from the floor (than little iron plates). Smith machine is not the best option for squats either.

2. Warm-up with 90%? What program are you using? With 5/3/1 (what I'm using), you warm-up with 40/50/60%. Those percentages are of your 1 rep max. Yes, you would likely be able to squat/deadlift more than bench. If you are totally new, there is no harm in starting with an empty bar for squats and 65lbs on dl (2 10lb bumpers + bar).

3. I know nothing about calf raises. My calves are naturally HUGE.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    1. That sounds like a Smith machine. I don't know how you could possibly deadlift in that. Does the gym have bumper plates (the rubbery looking ones)? That's what I use for deadlifts...the 10s are the same height as an iron 45. Bumper plates make it easier and better to pull from the floor (than little iron plates). Smith machine is not the best option for squats either.

2. Warm-up with 90%? What program are you using? With 5/3/1 (what I'm using), you warm-up with 40/50/60%. Those percentages are of your 1 rep max. Yes, you would likely be able to squat/deadlift more than bench. If you are totally new, there is no harm in starting with an empty bar for squats and 65lbs on dl (2 10lb bumpers + bar).

3. I know nothing about calf raises. My calves are naturally HUGE.

Thanks for responding! the warm up is 1 set at 50%, 12 reps, 1 set at 50%, 10 reps a little faster, 1 set at 70%, 4 reps, and 1 set at 90%, 1 rep.

I am thinking I will use the bar on the floor for the deadlifts. I will ask about the bumper plates!

I also don't have small calves and skipped them today, was just curious in case i wanted to do something there.

Thanks!
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    1. No squat rack, not a gym. At least not a gym I would go to.

2. It's not 90% of 1RM it's 90% of your working weight. So if doing sets of 225lbs your LAST warmup set up be at around 200 lbs for easy barbell math. For you I'd go 45/50/55 and then move into working sets of 65. For BLS once you can do 6reps you add weight to bar. Not sure what the TLS weight increase calls for.

3. Do they have a 2x4 you can put on floor for calf raises. This can help, but once again I would look for new gym.

edit: Most gyms don't have microplates and they can really help if you get into lifting. I got my own from Amazon and just leave them in my locker at gym. Helps when attempting to push up weight but can't go a full 10lbs on barbell (5 each side).
  • abarriere
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yeah I second finding a gym with a real squat rack. The Smith machine is extremely suboptimal. I recommend Mark Rippetoes YouTube videos on the squat and deadlift to really learn how to do it. A good program for beginners wouldn't have you use percentage based stuff because it assumes you have a good all out 1 rep max that you can base it on. Just do 5 reps with a certain weight and if it's easy add 5-15lb and do another set of 5 reps and keep adding weight till it gets challenging and go from there. Calf raises don't do anything, just stick with the squat and deadlift. And yes in general you can deadlift more than you can squat and you can squat more than you bench.

Yeah, i don't know what it's called. It's not a smith machine as googled. It's like a big cage where you can take the barbell off of the rack and walk forward/backward to both ends of the cage, but over top it's still connected. So you can move forward and backward however you want, but i guess you can't drop the weight all the way down. almost like a safety. It's weird. I will call them and find out what it's called.

Unfortunately, our super nice gym is under construction for a year and this is the only other gym walking distance from my office. As a mom, the only solid hour i really have during the week is during lunch so I have to make due until the fancy gym is complete. Can't wait!

Thanks!

• abarriere
    Options
    No squat rack? I'd be thinking new gym. Cleaning the bar of the floor will really limit your weight. I tried a Smith machine in a hotel gym once and it felt very unnatural. I'd try doing goblet squats with dumbbells, assuming your gym has heavy ones. Maybe look for a better equipped gym for when you outgrow the dumbbells. The Smith machine or holding dumbbells would probably work for the calf raises.

Jenny, if i can't get a good squat from the weird squat rack, i will definitely try the goblet squats. I saw a guy with 50 lb dumbbells so I am guessing I will be ok for a while! Thanks!
  • abarriere
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    1. No squat rack, not a gym. At least not a gym I would go to.

2. It's not 90% of 1RM it's 90% of your working weight. So if doing sets of 225lbs your LAST warmup set up be at around 200 lbs for easy barbell math. For you I'd go 45/50/55 and then move into working sets of 65. For BLS once you can do 6reps you add weight to bar. Not sure what the TLS weight increase calls for.

3. Do they have a 2x4 you can put on floor for calf raises. This can help, but once again I would look for new gym.

edit: Most gyms don't have microplates and they can really help if you get into lifting. I got my own from Amazon and just leave them in my locker at gym. Helps when attempting to push up weight but can't go a full 10lbs on barbell (5 each side).

Oh yes, i just re-looked at it. That makes more sense, 90% of heavy weight. For TLS it's if you get to 10 reps you add weight. So today, i found out i could lift more than i thought and added weight on each set for the flat barbell press. Luckily this little dinky gym does have 2.5 lb and 5 lb plates! Thanks!

1 year until the nice gym across the street reopens! It got bought out by Lifetime and they are turning it into a fancy lifetime. Can't wait!
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    abarriere wrote: »

Yeah, i don't know what it's called. It's not a smith machine as googled. It's like a big cage where you can take the barbell off of the rack and walk forward/backward to both ends of the cage, but over top it's still connected. So you can move forward and backward however you want, but i guess you can't drop the weight all the way down. almost like a safety. It's weird. I will call them and find out what it's called.

Unfortunately, our super nice gym is under construction for a year and this is the only other gym walking distance from my office. As a mom, the only solid hour i really have during the week is during lunch so I have to make due until the fancy gym is complete. Can't wait!

Thanks!

This sounds like a power cage, where the barbell is free (like you could walk away with it if you pulled it out)...yeah? If I'm right about what you're describing, the safety bars are adjustable. The gym staff should be able to show you how to adjust the height.

• abarriere
    Options

Thanks!

This sounds like a power cage, where the barbell is free (like you could walk away with it if you pulled it out)...yeah? If I'm right about what you're describing, the safety bars are adjustable. The gym staff should be able to show you how to adjust the height.

Yes I do think you can unhook the barbell if you want. I am going to ask an employee to show me how to correctly use it to avoid all confusion! Probably will have them show me a dead lift too! Thanks for the tip!
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Always good idea to get proper training on lifts. Even ones you think you know. Proper form prevents injury.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I started Thinner, Leaner, Stronger today and made it through the day 1 workout. Felt pretty good to be the only girl in the free weights section and I even surprised myself. I thought I wouldn't even be able to bench press the bar, but I was able to put a couple little plates on there, lol.

My question is for beginners on squats and deadlifts. I have watched you tubes but am honestly pretty nervous about form.

1. My gym has a squat rack that looks almost like a smith machine. The bar is basically attached to an apparatus that when you unrack it and move back, there is a square shaped archway where the bar is still attached. Is that the best equipment to use? The other option is just a bar on the ground I could add plates to. That makes me pretty nervous though.

2. What would a good starting weight be? I am supposed to warm up at 50%/70%/90% of max but have no clue what that is. I figure if i can bench 65 to start, I should be able to squat and deadlift more than that right?

3. There are no calf exercise machines. Any ideas on how i could do standing calf raises? Smith Machine would work perhaps or just stand holding dumbells?

I am completely new to classic weight training. Have done all kinds of body weight, dumbbell exercises but have always been pretty intimidated by the big equipment.

Thanks!

You don't need a machine for calf raises. Use your own body weight w hand weights at your sides. I do and my calves are looking better each day.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

Thanks!

That is so odd. I would love a picture of this contraption if anyone knows what it is.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's a power cage but someone put the safeties up really higher for an overhead press or something....I really need to see this lol.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I have seen this at my gym. It's a fixed bar and it is inside a power cage. No bueno.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have seen this at my gym. It's a fixed bar and it is inside a power cage. No bueno.

Why am I not intelligent enough to picture this properly?
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

I can't imagine it either. I just tried googling but couldn't find anything.
  • abarriere
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

I can't imagine it either. I just tried googling but couldn't find anything.

I will try to take a picture today when I go and report back!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time understanding the cage, too. Unless, of course, someone was using reverse bands and simply forgot to remove them.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I've seen smith machines like this, if that's what it is. Basically it's a "free moving" smith machine, I guess. (I don't know the technical name, I'd call it a smith machine) There is another track that allows the fixed barbell to move forward and back, in addition to up and down. From what I've seen of people trying to squat/deadlift with them, they're very awkward and still not as optimal as just using free weight.