Cast Iron Skillets

Options

Replies

• MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I hate new cast iron... everything sticks for me no matter what I do. I find nice smooth cast iron skillets at garage sales and thrift centers. Let someone else break them in for 50 years, lol
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Can you use cooking spray on one? I don't really want to add a lot of butter or oil to food.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think you should use cooking spray on them.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Can you use cooking spray on one? I don't really want to add a lot of butter or oil to food.

post below yours says not to add cooking spray but my understanding is that w/ a hot and seasoned cast iron skillet, food should not stick so no need for that I guess.....
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Unless the propellant is just air, usually it's not. I wouldn't due to the interaction/reaction of the propellant with the metal...Just like with the soap.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Cooking spray can leave a sticky residue on any pan and IMHO it's even worse on a seasoned cast iron pan. If you want to spray on your cast iron, use a pump spray just just uses air and oil but not any other ingredients.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I've had my Lodge for over 20 years now and it's so well seasoned it behaves like teflon coating. With cast iron it is all about how you treat it
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy a rusted one, as rust in your food isn't good. I agree, go with a cheaper one and see if you use it.

How is rust in your food bad? It's just oxidized iron. Do you mean like unhealthy or it gives your food a metallic taste? When I get rust on my pans I rub a little lard on it, heat up the pan, and it's gone.

I have a bunch of Lodge stuff. Most of it from Wal-Mart. It requires a little care, but had lasted longer than my nonstick set and doesn't stick like the stainless I had before. I also have a Staub pan I barely use because I worry about damaging the enamel. I chipped the handle and don't even know how.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    To add to what's already been said Lodge sells a coarse scrub brush that I really love and highly recommend. I only use it on my cast iron and it makes clean up a snap.

They also have several "how to" videos and articles om their website.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    The other thing I love about my Lodge cast iron is that I can pour water or something else into the hot pan to deglaze it without running the risk of it warping from the sudden temp change. These things are pretty close to indestructible. The worst thing you can do to it is get a thick coating of meat bits and oils stuck to it. If you do, just use steel wool to clean it and then re-season it.

Yeah, pretty close to indestructible. I used a lodge pan to put out a grease fire and did manage to crack my pan. I used it on the grill for a few months and the crack seasoned itself shut. Better than new.

It's definitely possible to crack/shatter cast iron, but it's not easy... Unless you're trying... Cold/Ice water in a 500 degree pan... etc
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love my Lodge. Cook on it every day.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My cast iron skillets are 20 years old. Love them more each year as they just get more seasoned. My moms are at least 50 years old and used daily.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Love Lodge, but "pre-seasoned" still needed to be seasoned. My eggs still stick sometimes :-/ but I love it anyway.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The problem with new Lodge (and just about any) cast iron skillet is that they no longer mill the interior of the skillet. Since pre-seasoned skillets sell so much easier, they leave the iron as cast so the seasoning is easier to apply and sticks much more consistently. This is why new skillets are rough where old skillets are smooth. New skillets will get there, mainly through use. The best way to keep a skillet seasoned is to simply use it to cook. The one good thing about Lodge is that at least they are made in the USA, where many others are made in China.

Stripping a skillet and re-seasoning is a pain. I have several in the garage that I have picked up over the years and really want to put them through an etank, but that takes time and resources to setup. Seasoning smokes up the house.
  • Camigwen
    Camigwen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    Lodge is good to go. Also consider their carbon steel pan - I use this more frequently than my cast iron.

YOU CAN DEFINITELY USE SOAP WHEN NEEDED. Use a little bit of soap and very hot water. I use soap 100% of the time when cooking fish or other stuff with potentially super stinky oils.

Soap is 100% fine. It's an old wive's tale that it ruins the seasoning. Those people just enjoy unhealthy, rancid oil sitting on top of the seasoning.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-and-care/cast-iron-lets-cook

Don't use soap, It's NOT an old wive's tale, The soap will get in the pores of your iron and then your food will taste like soap.

If your pan is seasoned properly the oils have polimerized and sealed the pores. The mistake most people make is using soap before they build up the seasoning to a teflon like finish.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've got about a 10 pieces of cast iron cookware of all types, including a couple of dutch ovens, 3 different size fryers, a pan griddle, 3 types of flat griddles, a small melting pot and an old waffle maker plus various accessories like insulated handle holders and various weighrs/presses for meat/sandwiches or whatever.

Brands are Lodge, Griswold, Fanner and some cheap no name stuff. Bought some new but most are flea market finds, some of which were rusted and restored by me. All work fine.

Really hard to ruin cast iron cookware and any mistakes can be fixed w/the right methods.

Once the cast iron is properly seasoned, you should NEVER wash w/soap. I just use boiling water and a stiff nylon brush. I've seen the chainmail scrubber online but I really don't like the idea of rubbing metal on metal.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I inherited my great-grandmas cast iron skillet...circa 1921 and it has been used over fire, on wood stove, etc. Still works fantastically and no sticking what so ever! I also bought a cheap Lodge one and it has a ways to go to be as awesome as the almost 100 year old one, but it will get there. I reconditioned it right from the start...wasn't fond of unknown seasoning in the pan :-). The old one I can pretty much just wipe clean with a rag. The newest one does still have minor sticking which I address by simmering some water in and then wiping clean. NO soap, ever. I always dry them either in the oven if it is still warm/I had used it, or putting on burner for a bit. You can totally recover rusted cast iron, just takes some doing!
  • msjodi777
    msjodi777 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have one of the chain mail scrubbers for my cast iron pans, and really like them. In fact, I use them for a lot of things including my fine Lennox china. Can't do without my cast iron. Have been using it for well over 50 years. Unfortunately my mom hated cooking so she didn't have any to pass on to me. But I will pass mine on to my children. <><