Recipe Mission--Salmon and Tilapia

lilac67
lilac67 Posts: 311
I picked up a package of Coho (silver) Salmon fillets and some Tilapia fillets at Walmart today. I'm not a fish girl, but I really want to be. Fish is suppose to be so good for you, but it's really hard for me to eat, and I'm in no way a picky eater. I would love some recipes and advice on fish. Thanks! :)

Replies

• funayman
    funayman Posts: 21 Member
    Try this one.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/04/swordfish-burgers.html

It says its for swordfish but i made it salmon the other day and loved it
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    take tilapia and put into aluminum foil pouch with some olive oil and whatever seasoning you want.. i like parsley, garlic and greek seasoning. fold up and back at 350 for 25ish minutes. squeeze some fresh lemon on it... YUM!
  • kjpollard
    kjpollard Posts: 68
    one of the simplest ways to cook fish is to lightly oil a pan w/ olive oil (or spray), and salt and pepper the fish on both sides, and bake. 10-15 min is usually enough for a thin fillet. We've eaten salmon, talipia, trout and perch this way and my whole family (to include the 5 yr old) eats it up.
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Try marinading them for a few hours to give them some flavor. I love the new Good Housekeeping Chili Lime marinade.

Put the fish in a zip lock and add the marinade. Let them sit the fridge awhile, I usually line the bottom of a glass dish with some cut up veggies (peppers, onions, zucchini) which I lightly season. Put the fish right on top and bake covered at 325. After a bit I uncover and broil to give the fish and veggies some color! Thats it!
  • WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    You can use the tilapia to make fish tacos. Shred and put into a flour or corn tortilla with lots of grilled veggies. I'm sure there are lots of recipes online. Have fun!
  • skatw
    skatw Posts: 28
    Bump!
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 373 Member
    I like to bake my salmon. Just spray a little bit of Pam in a oven proof dish. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Put salmon in dish, skin side down. Put a small amount of water in the dish around the fish. (this helps to steam it and keep it moist.) Now, for the seasoning... You can add the juice of an orange, some fresh or bottled garlic, and a healthy dash of Mrs Dash (salt free variety). Cover and bake until the fish registers 140 degrees with a thermometer you poke in the fish - or until it easily flakes with a fork. You can try playing around with seasonings... My husband really likes when I use Tamari sauce and Newman's Own Lite Casear dressing as the seasoning. Yep - just pour a little bit on the fish and bake. This works for the tilapia, too. Tilapia is good with a blackening seasoning - I find it kind of bland so I like to over spice it. Good luck!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Tilapia makes a great fish taco. . .

Mission corn tortillas warmed in the skillet. .. . No oil

I skillet cook the tilapia with cayenne lemon pepper and usually a little progresso italian breadcrumbs just lightly sprinkled

sauce for the tacos: greek or plain yogurt , a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and dash of cayenne

shredded cabbage. . at walmart you can get bags of preshredded if you want for 1.50 then I put a tiny bit of sargento reduced fat mexi cheese, and fresh sliced tomato. .

Salmon:

Sprinkle with a little cayenne, basil, and a little garlic and bake for about 15 min. ..

Here I used a quiche dish and microwave them with the same spices. . . Really it is whatever you like on them. . but only takes a couple min in the micro. . .

Hope this helps.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    I cook my tilapia in a skillet, I do not use oil I just a little water. I put McCormicks onion and garlic melody on it or lemon pepper or sometimes a spicier seasoning depends on how I am feeling that day.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Had tilapia with cajun seasoning cooked with olive oil spray on the inside grill. sprinkle some lemon on top when you eat it.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Salmon Quesadillas

4 flour tortillas
    4 oz. halibut, talipia or smoked salmon
    6 oz. cheese (Mexican melting cheese, Monterey jack, cheddar or American)
    butter or olive oil
    Any of the following: jalapeño peppers, tomato or avocado (sliced thin)
    1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Cook fish on a grill or in broiler. Separate into flakes, removing any skin or dark meat.

2. Slice cheese and any optional vegetables into small thin pieces.

3. Heat a skillet, adding just enough butter or olive oil to prevent tortillas from sticking.

4. In the heated skillet, add 1 tortilla, then position fish flakes, cheese, peppers, tomatoes or avocado slices and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Cover with second tortilla.

5. Cook until bottom tortilla begins to brown. Carefully flip and brown remaining side.

6. Remove from pan and cut into 4 sections. Serve immediately.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    I bake it with lemon pepper seasoning and add a little milk in the bottom of the baking dish...:happy:
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Had tilapia with cajun seasoning cooked with olive oil spray on the inside grill. sprinkle some lemon on top when you eat it.

this is yummy :)
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Just had this last night- grease your baking dish (I like glass) then lay the salmon in the dish sprinkle with fresh squeezed orange juice from one orange (I did about a pound of salmon wild coho)and a little salt and pepper and any other seasonings you like' I used Pampered Chef's Citrus Basil. Cover and let the orange juice soak in for a few minutes 15-30 then bake at 375 for about 30 minutes. It is so good and the fresh orange gives the salmon such a great flavor and I am sure it would work on any fish.
  • I'm not a fish person also and I wish I was so I feel your pain. Here is a recipe that I really like that can be made with chicken or fish (tilapia is good with this one).

What you need-
    Chicken or fish
    Light Alfredo sauce in a jar (any brand)
    Tomatoes
    Baby spinach

Cook your chicken or fish in oven or on stove top until done.
    Heat Alfredo sauce.
    Cut tomatoes into bite sizes.

Place your fresh spinach on a plate, place cooked chicken on top, poor on Alfredo sauce and top with tomatoes. Super easy and it looks and tastes amazing! Good Luck!
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Thanks for all the help!! :)
  • DustyRoseAZ
    DustyRoseAZ Posts: 31 Member
    I have the same problem...trying to learn to like salmon! I will try some of these. Thanks!
  • patrick323
    patrick323 Posts: 43
    Are you looking for a way to make the salmon less fishy? haha, or looking for a great dish with salmon in it? If you want it less fishy, have salmon burger with strong tasting things on it...onions etc. etc. Or fish tacos rock.

Ginger/Soy salmon with jasmine, date and sesame see rice; shiitake mushrooms sauteed in white wine, garlic, and butter (a little), and yellow curry sauce....my favorite though I'm trying to stay away from white rice.

For about 4 people....

Soy Ginger Marinade:
    4 salmon filets (preferably unfrozen, wild caught)
    4 tablespoons Oil
    1 cup Soy Sauce
    3 tablespoons Fresh Ginger, peeled and chopped
    Combine soy sauce and ginger in small bowl and mix well. Reserve 2 tablespoons marinade for shiitake mushrooms. Place salmon on large plate and pour marinade over salmon and set aside.

Shiitake Mushrooms
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    3 ounces Shiitake mushrooms, de-stemmed
    2 tablespoons Soy-Ginger Marinade (from earlier)
    3 cloves of minced garlic
    2 tablespoons Butter
    4 tablespoons White Wine
    In medium sauté pan heat 2 tablespoons canola oil over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté 2 minutes. Add ginger marinade, garlic, butter and white wine. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Set aside.

Curry Sauce
    4 ounces Yellow Curry Paste
    1 cup Hot Water
    14 ounces Coconut Milk
    In a small sauce pan combine curry paste and hot water. Mix well. Add coconut milk and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes

Sesame Date Rice
    1 pounc Jasmine Rice
    5¾ cups Water
    1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
    6 ounces Dates, chopped
    1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds
    In medium sauce pan bring water and salt to boil. Add rice and boil for one minute. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer 12 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.

Pour 1/4 cup curry sauce in center of plate. Scoop a large dollop of rice and place in middle of curry sauce. Pour mushroom sauce over rice and place salmon on top of rice.
  • patrick323
    patrick323 Posts: 43
    Funny how it censors the correct spelling of shiitake haha
  • erh20000plus
    erh20000plus Posts: 205 Member
    I usually have my husband grill my fish on wooden planks that you can buy at most stores in their grilling section. You have to soak the planks for about 20 minutes, but it gives the fish that smoky taste that usually helps the fishy taste. I season it with minced garlic, lemon, and sometimes a light dusting of grated parmensan cheese. My kids will even eat some even though they do not like fish.