bmr

Options
After calculating bmr is this how many calories you can have to lose weight? or do you have to go below basic bmr to lose?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Bmr is what your body requires to maintain functions at complete rest (like if you were in a coma). You more than Likely get up every day and move around, so even sedentary people require more calories than their bmr to maintain weight. You shouldn't have to eat under bmr to lose.... I personally wouldn't do it, as then you are risking your body not functioning properly and becoming unhealthy.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eat above your BMR but below your TDEE.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.
    You have no need to try working out your calorie needs MFP does it for you.

Enter your stats how much you want to lose. Under 50 lbs .5-1lbs a week, 50-75 1-1.5 lbs a week, ~ 100, 2lbs a week.

The calories you are given include your deficit without exercise, you add your exercise and are given extra calories to fuel those workouts- you will still be in a deficit.

Cheers, h.
    279270 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi but us MFP working out individual BMR and TDEE ? We all must be different ?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    spater1013 wrote: »
    After calculating bmr is this how many calories you can have to lose weight? or do you have to go below basic bmr to lose?

you should lose weight eating your calculated BMR, as your total energy expenditure will be 20% higher.

If you're unlucky and your actual BMR is a bit lower than the predictions (which are at best +/- 10%) then you may need to adjust accordingly after a couple of weeks logging.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    279270 wrote: »
    Hi but us MFP working out individual BMR and TDEE ? We all must be different ?

It's basing it on the average person of your gender, height, weight, age and level of activity which will be pretty close, there will be some outliers (as an example people who have conditions that effect their metabolism and/or hormones like hypothyroidism, diabetes etc) but it's a good starting point. As the above have said eat above your BMR and under your TDEE to start, if after a month or so you are not losing at the rate you set adjust accordingly. :)
    Options
    My tdee is 2152 and my bmr is 1670 what in Ines opinion would be the number for weight loss
  • animatorswearbras
    Options
    279270 wrote: »
    My tdee is 2152 and my bmr is 1670 what in Ines opinion would be the number for weight loss

It depends what your weight and height is and what your goal weight is. :) A pound a week (so basically eating at your BMR which is approximately 500 cals less than you need to maintain your current weight) is usually a good sustainable long term goal for most people, if you only have a few pounds to lose eg you're already at a healthy BMI half a pound is best (that is what I do) or if you have a lot to lose and maybe a BMI above 30 (assuming you're not a body builder) you can aim for 1.5 or 2 pounds a week, however with your BMR and TDEE you would have to do some additional calorie burning exercise to comfortably burn more than a pound a week so you don't slip under (or too far under) your BMR. :) Good luck x
    Options
    Thank you ! I am 66 years old (but young lol )
    205lbs want to get to around 190 losing a pound a week should I be near to my BMR as much as possible to achieve this? Thanks for your help
  • animatorswearbras
    Options
    Yes if you eat around the 1650 cal mark on average you should lose a pound a week, you can also eat back any additional exercise calories on top of this that are not already taken into consideration by your TDEE (for example if you put sedentary as your base activity level and then started going for long walks). The best thing is to give it a few weeks eating at this level and then reassess if you are losing faster or slower than your target. Also remember to log accurately even if you go over your allotted calories for the day, remember to log things like beverages, dressings, cooking oil and condiments and invest in some spoon and cup measures for your liquids and preferably some digital scales for your food.

Good luck x