Anyone else stopped counting calories on the app?

Options

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If I'm actively trying to lose weight then yes I track somehow-either on a site/app or with paper and pen. I can maintain by doing the mental math, (I've been in maintenance for years though so I've gotten very good at it, plus I have other checks n' balances in place as well), but even now, being as far along as I am, could not lose without being intentional about tracking.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I logged to help lose my weight, stopped logging quite a long time ago and it's no problem to maintain or lose a few pounds if I have an upward creep or if I enjoy holidays a little too much.

You can remain calorie aware without counting. I weigh daily and casually take note of the trend.

Only time I log now is on the day of a big cycle event when I want/need precision over my fuelling.
  • locoloon
    locoloon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »
    Nope. It keeps me accountable and makes keeping things on track way simpler for me.

Seems to be working:
    Screenshot_20170718-081933-01.jpeg?raw=1

mfp keeps track of 4 pages of your most recent foods eaten, so unless your eating different foods everyday all month, it's just a matter of checking a box and changing the amount. most of the time I only have to use the search for 1 or 2 items a day. and if it's a favorite meal its only 1 check box. even then if I'm rushed I use the "add just calories" to record an approximate. (usually this would be a holiday meal) and I figure for a worst case scenario by doubling the previous day's total
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I no longer long food and count calories. I tend to get too obsessed by the numbers and it's bit good for me. If I feel I've fallen off the wagon too much I will star counting but as a rule for my sanity I do not log foods
  • OliveGirl128
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Chessbear wrote: »
    Well I also weigh my food on a food scale. I think that reduces the chance of overeating.

Unless you're eating the exact same thing every single day, just weighing food won't reduce your chance of overeating...

From your many posts you appear to have a huge desire to lose massive amounts of weight. If you want to be successful, surely you would use the tools available to you to make success more likely?

Id be more bothered that I was trying my hardest to achieve a goal but not getting the results I wanted (or expected). Not counting or tracking is fine, as long as you don't expect the results you'd more likely get from tracking accurately

Hey. Yes its true. I want to lose anywhere from 80 to 100lbs.

Most things I eat daily are basics. Like apples and bananas. Rice, spaghetti, meat, etc. My diet is very clean at the moment. Yesterday I fit in 2 chocolate bars into my diet without the app. Worked out fine. Only the day before I overate by about 200 calories. Which was fine too because I did a lot of cardio that day. I do a lot of cardio everyday, at least 80 minutes. But i had rather not ate those 200 calories. The 200 calories came from a tablespoon of olive oil and 50 grams of excess in meat I had not calculate into.

Anyways, but this thread was not for me to explain why I dont count calories in the app anymore. I did already explain why. And being frank, the real reason was that I was overeating when I was counting in the app. Compared to now the overeating is much much less.

Counting calories in the app can work for a lot of people. Not for me though. In the past I have lost about 50lbs without counting calories in the app. I gained it back in 1-2 years because I stopped working out and eating healthy, and of course because I was overeating again.

Anyone else stopped counting calories on the app with similar reasons as mine?

So the next thread we see from you will be in success stories after you've reached your goal, then maintained your weight?

Losing weight can take anywhere from weeks to years depending on the amount of weight someone needs to lose. I need to lose about 80-100lbs. Thats going to take a while.

My next thread may be about my diet or exercise or whatever. When I lose the weight, yes I will post in the success stories part of this forum.

But if you've got the got the tracking part sorted it should be easy! You should have no issues losing weight

You need to relax.

Guess what, I only ever used the app for a month maybe. My experience with it is that I dont like it.

By your posts it seems that using the app is like having found the holy grail to weight loss. Sorry to dissapoint you, but there is no holy grail to weight loss. Its 100% hard work and dedication.

I would say that the majority of people who have lost weight and maintained weight loss dont use calorie counting apps.

Can you imagine having to put everything you eat every single day into your phone for the rest of your life? Obviously for many people this is no problem, and thats great. But for many others its a no go.

Truly, one year from now when ive lost all that weight and maintained the weight loss, I wonder how baffled you will be. You really shouldnt. Millions of people lose weight and maintain it and dont use any calorie counting apps. They use their common sense. I know there are 350 calories in 100g of uncooked rice or uncooked spaghetti (depending on what spaghetti and rice and from which brand you buy and eat. ) . I know there are about 100 calories in a banana depending on its size. Usually it has a label on the box it comes with saying how many calories it has.

Obviously you wanted some kind of reaction from me. Here you have it.

Like I said before, using a calorie counting app can help many people. And thats great. Just dont act like without it you cant lose weight.

Weight loss is easy and hard, the easy part : eat less and work out more. The hard part is the mental aspect.

The reality is there's very few people who successfully maintain weight loss long term, regardless of what they're doing, and you're not even to that point yet. The weight loss phase is for a very short period of time and it's the easy part. Lots of people are really good at losing weight-it the many years of maintenance that follows is where most crash and burn.

And a year of maintenance is nothing, (which won't start till after you've hit your goal weight and then transition out of the weight loss phase and begin the maintenance phase, so you're actually talking around 2 years out here), but it would be cool if you were able to check in in 5 or 10 years years and share your success :)

edit: clarity

• OliveGirl128
    edited July 2017
    Options
    dp
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Guess what, I only ever used the app for a month maybe. My experience with it is that I dont like it.
    Weight loss is easy and hard, the easy part : eat less and work out more. The hard part is the mental aspect.

OK, so then you have your answer. You don't like the app, lots of us do...
  • imanibelle
    imanibelle Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I only use MFP to look up food entries now. I list my cal counts in my email app.
  • narspips
    narspips Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Me - but only because I use the website, not the app ;)

The only things I calculate myself are home-cooked meals as I find using MFP to work out how many calories are in something complicated I made myself to be too cumbersome. But I still use the database to work out calories/100g for every ingredient (unless it's on the packaging) and I weigh everything pre- and post-cooked, so it doesn't really count as not using it...
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    There are times when I stop but I do keep track in my head of the ballpark figures of how many calories I've eaten and have continued to lose weight. For the most part though, if I'm not adding it up here, I'm noting it down somewhere or I'm making a conscious effort to eat a smaller portion/eat 80-90% of what is on my plate if that is a no count day.
  • workin_onit
    workin_onit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I *wish* I could not log food/count calories and lose weight! This isn't my first time at the weight-loss rodeo but I want it to be my last. So I continue to count, log, lose and (hopefully) this time, maintain.

Good luck to you, OP...do try to learn from my mistakes! :smiley:
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think once you establish a regular eating pattern (a combination of eating certain foods/recipes you like often with just knowing the difference between what is and is not really a healthy choice) you need to rely on the logging food less. Just my experience...
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    And a year of maintenance is nothing

Agree with what you said, except this part. Only 20% of people who lose 10% of their weight or more actually maintain that loss for a year. http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/222S.long