who would have thought it would work?!!

Options

Replies

• Maris165
    Maris165 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Depending on how the scale reads tomorrow, I may just be changing things up. Thanks for the info!!
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    From what I learned on Fat2FitRadio podcasts the magic number of calories for losing weight is eating at 20% above your BMR. I was really scared to increase mine that high. But I'm surprised that it really worked!

Good for you Ashley! That's awesome!

I am really on the fence here. All along I thought 1200 was MY number and that is what I needed to eat.... if I use the 20% above BMR calculation, I should up my calories to about 1560. But I'm SCARE to do it! In the past 3 weeks since I started, I've lost 6 lbs.... and I don't want to screw it up and gain it back! But..... in the past few days I haven't lost anything, still using the 1200 calories (usually less). Decisions Decisions!!!!
  • TexasNana41
    TexasNana41 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    today was my first day eating at a 0.5lb per week loss, and honestly this is the first night I am going to sleep feeling satisfied, energized, not bloated, and not dreaming about breakfast tomorrow morning. i'm looking forward to weighing in next week and hopefully seeing some results.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You know, this is one of the best things that I have learnt using MFP - that I don't have to starve myself to lose weight and get healthy.

It just seems too counter-intuitive to eat more to lose weight, but in reality I know that I'm not eating more calories than when I was consuming a family block of chocolate in a day, but I am full up with (mostly) healthier food choices.

I see so many people eating 1200 cals and no extra for exercise, and I just don't know how they survive. I'm really happy that I've learnt that I don't have to do this. I eat 1400 - 1600 net calories a day and keep losing weight!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    From what I learned on Fat2FitRadio podcasts the magic number of calories for losing weight is eating at 20% above your BMR. I was really scared to increase mine that high. But I'm surprised that it really worked!

I am really on the fence here. All along I thought 1200 was MY number and that is what I needed to eat.... if I use the 20% above BMR calculation, I should up my calories to about 1560. But I'm SCARE to do it! In the past 3 weeks since I started, I've lost 6 lbs.... and I don't want to screw it up and gain it back! But..... in the past few days I haven't lost anything, still using the 1200 calories (usually less). Decisions Decisions!!!!

I was afraid to try to up my calories, because I 'might' gain my weight back - but then I thought 5 weeks at a standstill is ridiculous, and if I see a gain, I'll just cut back a little. I'm ready to try anything, I guess
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You know, this is one of the best things that I have learnt using MFP - that I don't have to starve myself to lose weight and get healthy.

It just seems too counter-intuitive to eat more to lose weight, but in reality I know that I'm not eating more calories than when I was consuming a family block of chocolate in a day, but I am full up with (mostly) healthier food choices.

I see so many people eating 1200 cals and no extra for exercise, and I just don't know how they survive. I'm really happy that I've learnt that I don't have to do this. I eat 1400 - 1600 net calories a day and keep losing weight!

Well said!
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Lesliecs
    Options

I was afraid to try to up my calories, because I 'might' gain my weight back - but then I thought 5 weeks at a standstill is ridiculous, and if I see a gain, I'll just cut back a little. I'm ready to try anything, I guess

I think you're right! I am going to try and up mine and watch closely to see how it goes. Thanks to everyone for their insight! This has been a very informative post!
  • KBomar2
    KBomar2 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear it worked for you. I just told my husband I think I need to up my calories because I stalled out and can't take any more off and I'm starting to get frustrated. I hope it works for me too!!
  • Lesliecs
    Options
    Well, I decided to up my, but not the 20%. We'll see how that works. I can always change it one way or the other! good luck to everyone else who is in the same boat as me! (Well, good luck to EVERYONE!) :happy:
  • aholtz1
    aholtz1 Posts: 27
    Options
    Bump ***this is interesting, Want to learn more about this ****
  • Butterfly310
    Options
    THIS IS SO GREAT!! Thank you so much!

Hi sorry this is so long winded I copied it from a blog I did while at a fitness retreat this a way to find out just how many calories you need a day

I think that I talked about ones resting metabolic rate before, thats the number of calories your body burns just to stay alive. So if you layed in bed for 24 hours and figured the calories you burned doing that . That is your resting metabolic rate(rmr). I am sure most of have heard or will be surprised to hear that you have to eat to lose weight. What I have learned here is that if you don't eat at least your rmr in calories a day your metabolism will slow down to compensate and try to hold on to what you are eating even more.
    You lose weight by creating a calorie deficit. So you should eat your rmr calories everyday and be physically active to create that deficit. One might ask can I exercise too much and the answer is yes and that will show up in performance. If you are exercising so much that you start feeling weak or rundown you either need to cut back on the exercise or up your calories. You have to listen to your body and act accordingly.

Now you are probably thinking OK that is all well and good but how do I know what my rmr is. Well it just so happens there are two ways to find this out. You can go to a gym that has a rmr machine and pay 50-100 dollars to be tested or you can use this formula and the results will be very close to the same. Ok figuring this out takes a few steps. First here are a few conversions for you.

Weight in kilograms=weight in lbs divided by 2.2
    height in centimeters =height in inches times 2.54

here is the formula.
    (9.99 x weight in kilograms) + (6.25 x height in cetimeters) -(4.92 x age in years) + 5 or -161=rmr.
    At the end the formula is different depending on your gender if you are male add 5. if you are female subtract 161. Be sure when you calculate this that you do what is in the ( ) first.

Hope it helps
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yay! Good for you!

I recently did the same thing - I was stuck at 232 for weeks. I raised my calories from 1700 to 2000 for two weeks. Three days in I lost 2.5 pounds! :) I just lowered my calories back down - I'm now a few days back at 1700 and have lost a few more! Woohooo!
  • abeks
    abeks Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mammacano
    mammacano Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has slowed down and being miserable when I've almost reached my daily 1200 by midday totally sucks. I'm going to try this (upping my daily calories), continue to shred and rip and see what happens for a week. This post was really helpful. Thanks!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!