Have pcos hair loss ?????

Options
I have pcos and dr put me on Metformin but seems like nothing is happening but I have been loosing a lot of hair please any suggestions what I can do!!!!

Replies

• chrissjourney
    chrissjourney Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Other than miscarriages, hair loss is the most devastating symptom of PCOS for me. Some things that have helped me....Spironolactone (to lower testosterone), Biotin, also make sure you are not Vitamin D deficient. Good luck!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Are you on a very low calorie plan? Many suggest to take a women's multivitamin to make up for any nutritional deficiencies. Also consider opening your diary. You could be lacking in a nutrient like protein, iron, b12, even lack of good fats can affect your hair. A seriously stressful event can also cause this.
    Minimum protein intake for women is 46. My goal is 70/day. You're not on one of those 1,000 calorie a day diets, are you?
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Biotin in larger amounts can cause breakouts. Instead of buying a bottle of this, consider a multi-vitamin that has a small amount of it. Biotin is just one piece of the puzzle. A multi will also contain the right amount of Vitamin D and a bit of iodine to support good thyroid function. Do not buy gummies, since they rarely contain minerals (you can call them just candy).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Too few calories can cause hair loss. So can low thyroid.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    As others have said, lots of things cause hair loss. Talk to your doctor.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Too few calories can cause hair loss. So can low thyroid.

So can a lot of things. The OP knows it's due to PCOS, though.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Not sure if your age but when I turned 36 I started losing a lot more hair daily. Four years later, same story. I take a multi vitamin, not sure it does anything for that for me.

If you can, check with your doc.
  • quatermore
    quatermore Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Other than miscarriages, hair loss is the most devastating symptom of PCOS for me. Some things that have helped me....Spironolactone (to lower testosterone), Biotin, also make sure you are not Vitamin D deficient. Good luck!

Spironlactone was the answer for me. A Dermotologist initially prescribed for it for me, now my GP renews the prescription.
  • chrissjourney
    chrissjourney Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Biotin in larger amounts can cause breakouts. Instead of buying a bottle of this, consider a multi-vitamin that has a small amount of it. Biotin is just one piece of the puzzle. A multi will also contain the right amount of Vitamin D and a bit of iodine to support good thyroid function. Do not buy gummies, since they rarely contain minerals (you can call them just candy).

Unfortunately with PCOS the amount of Biotin and Vitamin D that a multivitamin contains is nowhere near enough. I have to take a prescription Vitamin D weekly along with an additional vitamin D. Hair loss is one of the ugly symptoms of PCOS and while you can not stop it you can try your best to keep it at bay.
  • roycn
    roycn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was on it for almost a year. I think within a few months I got what ppl referred to as the "dreaded shred" where I started loosing a lot of hair rapidly, it did come back to the amount I started with when I started taking the medication but I never noticed where it got to the point of looking like a full healthy head of hair (that I had years ago). They wanted me to stay on it for another year but we are hoping (praying) to conceive one day soon and I wanted to make sure the medication was entirely out of my system before then. I take a multi vitamin and I believe it is 5000mg Biotin...not sure it is making much progress for me but it sounds like it has worked for others. Hoping for the very best of luck to you!
  • mitasuri123
    mitasuri123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Are you on a very low calorie plan? Many suggest to take a women's multivitamin to make up for any nutritional deficiencies. Also consider opening your diary. You could be lacking in a nutrient like protein, iron, b12, even lack of good fats can affect your hair. A seriously stressful event can also cause this.
    Minimum protein intake for women is 46. My goal is 70/day. You're not on one of those 1,000 calorie a day diets, are you?

• mitasuri123
    mitasuri123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all I have been taking biotin and also I have talked to the dr. Utbhe only put me on the Metformin!!! I don't know I might change dr seems like he didn't even listen to one word I said about hair loss... should I see a dermatologist????
  • NR81206
    NR81206 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    keep taking the metformin, it will help with your PCOS and weight loss. My sister has PCOS, Cushing sydrome, and is a diabetic and that is the medicine the doctors have her on at this time (so basically she taking 1 med for all 3). It has helped slowed down her Hair loss and manange her syndromes. She has lost 40 pounds since Jan. However, it will make your stomach sour from time to time though, and it may give you diarrhea, but that is a normal side effect. Stress will also make your hair fall out too, so try and take it day by day....BEST OF LUCK!!!