Increasing calories

Options
gracehalsted
gracehalsted Posts: 15 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
For a couple of months I haven't seen much change on the scale. I've decreased my calories to 1200-1300 a day. I'm 5'9 and I weigh 150 pounds and have been on a ketogenic diet for 10 months and lost 70 pounds. I weight lift 6 days a week for about 100-110 minutes per session. My bmr is 1,525. Am I not giving my body enough calories therefore not seeing weight loss results?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you haven't lost weight for two months, then you're not in a deficit. If you open your diary, we may be able to help you troubleshoot your logging. Something is likely off with your estimate of calories in or calories out.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Your first course of action would be to pay better attention to your logging. Use a food scale if possible, pick accurate entries, don't forget to log any oils and dressings, beware of random bites here and there that are easily forgotten...etc. If you haven't lost weight in two month you are likely giving your body too many calories.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    For a couple of months I haven't seen much change on the scale. I've decreased my calories to 1200-1300 a day. I'm 5'9 and I weigh 150 pounds and have been on a ketogenic diet for 10 months and lost 70 pounds. I weight lift 6 days a week for about 100-110 minutes per session. My bmr is 1,525. Am I not giving my body enough calories therefore not seeing weight loss results?

Has your change decreased or have you not see any loss. It is common for weight loss to slow after around 6-9 months of dieting. You may want to take a couple weeks at maintenance, enjoy your workouts more, and then after a few weeks dive back into a deficit to lose the last little bit you want to lose.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your first course of action would be to pay better attention to your logging. Use a food scale if possible, pick accurate entries, don't forget to log any oils and dressings, beware of random bites here and there that are easily forgotten...etc. If you haven't lost weight in two month you are likely giving your body too many calories.

This. And you're already at a healthy weight, so any loss you are aiming for is going to be slow.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    How do you have any energy at all on such low calories?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just to second what everyone is saying...
    • How much is "not much" in the last couple of months? You were losing at a pretty fast pace and your rate of loss will naturally slow down once you are in the healthy weight range.
    • Are you using a food scale? If not, you are probably eating more than you think. When you have more to lose and are carrying a big deficit, you can get away with estimating portions, but once you get down to the last few lbs accuracy is key.
  • gracehalsted
    gracehalsted Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    • How much is "not much" in the last couple of months? You were losing at a pretty fast pace and your rate of loss will naturally slow down once you are in the healthy weight range.
    • Are you using a food scale? If not, you are probably eating more than you think. When you have more to lose and are carrying a big deficit, you can get away with estimating portions, but once you get down to the last few lbs accuracy is key.

Yes, I do use a food scale. I have lost about 5 pounds in 3 months
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Yes, I do use a food scale. I have lost about 5 pounds in 3 months

If you have lost five pounds in the last three months, that's a reasonable rate of loss for someone who is closer to goal weight.