Skinny School

I am starting the Skinny School "diet" where I have 50g of carbs and 15g of sugar per day. How much fat and protein do I need for that goal? I tried to put in 50g of carbs into my profile at myfitnesspal, but it decreased my calories for the day to 800, which is way to little.

Replies

• Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,116 Member
    I would feel so washed out with that low amount of carbohydrates. I know there is a VLCD diet group that might be more supportive.
  • kathynorton12758
    kathynorton12758 Posts: 8 Member
    My apologies for not being clear... I am trying to plan my daily intake, but the only pieces I have are the carbs and sugars. What is a healthy amount of fat and protein per day, taking into account that I have very little carbs and sugars?
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Okay, so I looked it up. It's a book being flogged by someone named Julie Gordon. The book's title is:

"Skinny School: Where Women Learn the Secrets to Finally Get Thin Forever."

Another riveting book that's available by the same author:

"Wife School: Where Women Learn the Secrets of Making Husbands Happy."

M'okay.

Edited to add: The author's educational background is in Journalism and Family & Marriage Counselling. No idea what qualifies her to put out a book on nutrition or dieting, though. :(

LOL oh god. :D:|
  • julesEMS2016
    julesEMS2016 Posts: 44 Member
    Okay, so I looked it up. It's a book being flogged by someone named Julie Gordon. The book's title is:

"Skinny School: Where Women Learn the Secrets to Finally Get Thin Forever."

Another riveting book that's available by the same author:

"Wife School: Where Women Learn the Secrets of Making Husbands Happy."

M'okay.

Wow... Those sound like books that are going onto my To-Read list. Not. :unamused:

OP, it's a bit easier to go by percentages rather than weight when balancing carbs, fat, and protein. At least it is for me. I follow a 50/30/20 ratio. You can adjust your ratios by going into Goals and clicking Edit under the Daily Nutrition Goals section.
  • kathynorton12758
    Thank you for the very last comment on ratios. I thought this might be a place to get help, but I'll look elsewhere.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    edited July 2017
    What fresh hell is "Skinny School?" :'(

A new fad?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I've done 50 gm carbs/day (keto) for a while. First you figure out your calorie goal, then fill in the rest of your calories with fat and protein. E.g. when I was losing weight and addressing some health issues with keto, I ate 1350 cals/day and had my macros set to 15% carbs, 25% protein, 60% fat. (That worked out to somewhere in the neighborhood of 50gm carbs/day.)
  • kathynorton12758
    Thank you, macchiato! I edited my Daily Nutrition Goals and think that looks more do-able. I appreciate the input.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Given the title of the author's other book, I'm going to guess that there's a faith based perspective behind the beliefs of some of the people coming to these books, and that sort of makes me angry.

There's nothing here that can't be found for free. 50 carbs a day and eliminating starches? You can get that advice on here or Reddit and not line some woman's pockets who has an image she's selling.

Macchiato answered the OP's question, but to restate, you back into your fat and protein numbers based on your calorie allowance.

I'm pretty sure there's an online keto macro calculator, and maybe @nvmomketo knows where it is and can recommend it.
  • kathynorton12758
    I've never had to watch what I ate or my weight in my life, but post menopause, weight is creeping up and I want to curb it now at 12 lbs. instead of waiting until I'm looking at 50 lbs. I am pretty much ignorant about how to achieve that.
  • kathynorton12758
    That's great advice, Dootzy1 because I am not willing to ditch my carbs and sugars for life!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    OP, I supportively suggest that you return to your Skinny School book because I charitably credit a journalist with being able to put two concepts together and then turn the page and read the next page. Surely a journalist would include some woo about fat and protein in a book that starts as a guide to something LCHF or Keto.