I can't track calories and feel out of control

Options
I'm finding it difficult to track calories on this app because I'm living with my parents at the moment and my dinner is usually made for me and I can't weigh it and I don't know exactly what's in it.
They buy lots of unhealthy snacks (wotsits, mini cheddars, wisps bars, kit kats, mini rolls etc.) as well which can be hard to resist. I don't have this problem at uni because I just don't buy crap like that. I try and tell myself that these are empty calories and that I don't have to eat unhealthily just because they are, but it doesn't always work.
I hate that I don't have control over my food when I'm at home.

Replies

• sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    why don't you make your own food so you can have more control over what you eat?
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    That must be frustrating. Sadly you won't always be in control of your own food unless you cook for yourself; life won't always be the perfect weight loss paradise. (If it were, imagine how much thinner we'd be as a society...)

It's easier when everyone in a household is in it together. If you can't get your parents in on it, try strategies that help control calorie intake without counting calories precisely: intermittent fasting, skipping/limiting snacks, skewing your plate toward vegetables. Or try keeping fruit around so when you want a mini cheddar you reach for an apple instead; that way you aren't depriving yourself. Last thing I can think of is just upping the exercise.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Would your parents really stop you from buying a food scale?
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I had this issue too. When I first started counting calories, I guessed my portions and was able to start losing weight.

After a while, I started to weigh foods that could be easily tracked (not much point weighing out a serve of casserole if you don't know what and how much is in it)

Finally, after a lot of argument, screaming, swearing (yes, it got this bad) I ended up cooking my own meals. It works better because I can weigh all my ingredients, and it takes the pressure to make vegan food off my family.

Would it be a big issue for you to make your own meals? If it would, maybe you could become more involved in making dinner, then you'll have a better idea of what is in your food and maybe be able to weigh out your portion of the ingredients.
  • losingforme11
    losingforme11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Guess as closely as you can. I Have two kids that sometimes like junk food, so it's around. I have learned to resist by having things I like and are good for me ready to grab instead. Good luck!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    I'm finding it difficult to track calories on this app because I'm living with my parents at the moment and my dinner is usually made for me and I can't weigh it and I don't know exactly what's in it.
    They buy lots of unhealthy snacks (wotsits, mini cheddars, wisps bars, kit kats, mini rolls etc.) as well which can be hard to resist. I don't have this problem at uni because I just don't buy crap like that. I try and tell myself that these are empty calories and that I don't have to eat unhealthily just because they are, but it doesn't always work.
    I hate that I don't have control over my food when I'm at home.

Do they actually put out the portions on your plate as well? If you get to serve yourself, you may be able to estimate how much you take out by comparing to your own previous familiar portions. Also you can serve yourself more vegetables and less starch or meat. Resisting snack temptation is simply something you'll have to learn to do. Also, if you're not able to reduce food intake, perhaps try increasing exercise.