Calories burned vs calories eaten

What is the general consensus on how many calories burned vs calories eaten? If my calorie goal is 1,200 per day, is it advised against to burn more than 1,200 calories through exercise?
I just feel so full after eating 1,200 calories and I don't want to undereat, so exercising counters that feeling of extra fullness
Please be honest! Thanks

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    You're set to lose weight without exercise, as you burn way more than 1200 calories just by living and going about your day. And when you do exercise, you should be eating those calories back to fuel your body, especially when you're at 1200.
  • tiffany_yy
    tiffany_yy Posts: 14 Member
    So what are the repercussions of burning more calories through exercise (outside of my BMR) than I eat? Is it bad for me?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    How are you burning 1200 calories in the gym? I'd basically have to spend the entire day in the gym. I'm with the person above - I would highly question your numbers - both consumed and burned.
  • tiffany_yy
    How are you burning 1200 calories in the gym? I'd basically have to spend the entire day in the gym. I'm with the person above - I would highly question your numbers - both consumed and burned.

So currently I'm burning 600 calories in the evening, I thought maybe doing another workout in the morning to burn more calories. I only have 2 meals so maybe that's why I feel full since I'm having more or less 600 calories per meal. It just makes my stomach hurt and I don't like it
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    tiffany_yy wrote: »
    What is the general consensus on how many calories burned vs calories eaten? If my calorie goal is 1,200 per day, is it advised against to burn more than 1,200 calories through exercise?
    I just feel so full after eating 1,200 calories and I don't want to undereat, so exercising counters that feeling of extra fullness
    Please be honest! Thanks

1200 is the lowest DEFAULT minimum before exercise. So if you add exercise, you eat more than 1200 calories.

The reason you want to NET (essentially clear) 1200 calories is that your body needs fuel for essentials - heart, lungs, kidneys, etc. Google low calorie diets & hair loss. Your body will stop fueling things "less essential."

1200 calories in the gym? How many hours are you spending there? Calorie burns are guesstimates. Start by eating back half your exercise calories and adjust that % up or down after several weeks, based on actual results.

Why limit yourself to 2 meals if you are too full to eat them? Eat more (smaller) meals and make sure you include calorie dense foods - olive oil, nuts, nut butters, avocado, cheese. Smaller portions, lots of calories.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I know if I ate meals that made my stomach hurt there would be no way I could go to the gym and burn 1200 calories,Id be in too much pain. and even me being more active to burn 1200 calories I would have to get up early and be active all day until about 11pm that night and thats throwing in a workout during that time. even when I was obese I didnt burn 1200 calories in a day even with 2 workouts a day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Do you understand that your body burns calories all day long without you doing any exercise at all AND that food is the fuel your body uses to survive at even the most basic level? Why are you trying to exercise away every single calorie eaten? You are either confused or have an extremely unhealthy mindset.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    OP when it comes to weight loss burning more calories than you take in doesnt mean exactly the way you are thinking. it means your body burns so much already and you need a certain amount of calories to gain weight. if you eat under that amount of calories you will lose weight. so if you eat 1200 calories you dont need to burn all those off.
  • tiffany_yy
    OP when it comes to weight loss burning more calories than you take in doesnt mean exactly the way you are thinking. it means your body burns so much already and you need a certain amount of calories to gain weight. if you eat under that amount of calories you will lose weight. so if you eat 1200 calories you dont need to burn all those off.

Thank you for giving me the most clear answer!
    I work full time and only have one lunch break (I can't have snacks in between due to the nature of my job) and then I come home and have dinner. Because of this I'm having to parcel out my calories in two meals, and this is the best way I can eat all my calories without undereating. I understand what you all have commented though! I haven't been losing with this method even with exercise and eating 1,200 calories, I might be counting under or eating too heavy foods which is making me feel full. I'll swap out into calorie dense foods
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    tiffany_yy wrote: »

Thank you for giving me the most clear answer!
    I work full time and only have one lunch break (I can't have snacks in between due to the nature of my job) and then I come home and have dinner. Because of this I'm having to parcel out my calories in two meals, and this is the best way I can eat all my calories without undereating. I understand what you all have commented though! I haven't been losing with this method even with exercise and eating 1,200 calories, I might be counting under or eating too heavy foods which is making me feel full. I'll swap out into calorie dense foods

if 2 meals a day work for you thats fine too. try the swapping things out and see what happens give it a few weeks(2-4) if no loss then have a dr rule out any health issues
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    You would have to run a marathon to burn an extra 1200 calories. Just do a reasonable amount of exercise to keep your muscle mass and improve your strength.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    ... wait. If you're not losing, you're not really eating 1200 cals. Make sure you weigh every single thing you eat.