1 Month, No Weight Loss

Options
I've now been tracking my calories for a month, hitting near the mark almost everyday with still no weight shed. I don't believe this is a plateau as this was my first month working at it, counting calories, and making an effort to lose weight. Any ideas why this may be happening? Anything I should try?

Replies

• jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Your last week has not been tracked consistently. Do you eat at restaurants a lot? There can be hidden calories or outdated information in the food you are purchasing (say, if a restaurant changes the recipe). The fluctuation of quantities served can also add to your problem.

What is your weight, and what is your goal? Is it below ideal? How much are you tracking to lose per week? The smaller the deficit, the easier it is to make errors (which is something us humans specialize in).

To account for any error, make some adjustments to your activity level (your actual activity level). Add another 15-30 min of exercise. Up your water intake. Those are a few options for you.
  • asteriskthat
    asteriskthat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've just realised how important weighing food is. My usual muesli says how many calories there are in 30g, so I just assumed 30g was an average serving. Then I weighed it!! It's tiny, barely covers the bottom of the bowl.

This! I can't believe how small some recommended serving sizes are! Weighing is so important.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    I've just realised how important weighing food is. My usual muesli says how many calories there are in 30g, so I just assumed 30g was an average serving. Then I weighed it!! It's tiny, barely covers the bottom of the bowl.

This! I can't believe how small some recommended serving sizes are! Weighing is so important.

Also had that WTF moment first time I weighed my cereal/pasta/rice etc. It is both horrifying and eye-opening but at the same time extremely helpful particularly for calorie laden foods.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You are eating more than you think plain and simple.

This or burning less than you think
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking elsewhere?

-Otherwise-
    What happened on this past Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday?

Be honest with yourself and your tracking and you will start to lose weight.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the scale alone isn't the best indication or weight loss/changes. Take your measurements (waist, hips, each thigh and each arm). You might be losing fat while building muscle so the pounds even out. Building muscle is a good thing though as it helps to burn fat over time. I also agree with all the other advice. A good scale is an inexpensive but wise investment. Or portion pots that can help you eat the right balance of food. Good luck. Don't give up!

Muscle gain? Not in one month. OPs logging is highly inaccurate, so they really need to start logging accurately to see a difference.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I spent about six months tracking calories and weighing myself once a week or so before I started focusing on cutting back. It really does take practice, but once you get a hang of it, it's very accurate and honestly feels so much easier than it should. There's lots of great advice floating around on how to make sure you're tracking accurately, but my best advice is to give yourself time to learn and be patient. Round calories in up, round calories out down, and good luck!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the scale alone isn't the best indication or weight loss/changes. Take your measurements (waist, hips, each thigh and each arm). You might be losing fat while building muscle so the pounds even out. Building muscle is a good thing though as it helps to burn fat over time. I also agree with all the other advice. A good scale is an inexpensive but wise investment. Or portion pots that can help you eat the right balance of food. Good luck. Don't give up!

muscle gain in one month??? she doesn't mention being on a progressive lifting program or eating at a surplus - why on earth would you assume it is muscle gain??? even if one were to gain muscle over time (over the course of months/years, not 4 weeks) it would not be at a rate that would outpace fat loss.

as others have said, much, much, much more likely to be a logging issue.
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the scale does funny things. I met or was under my cals for 5 weeks and the scale showed no loss even though I was going to the gym 3 times a week and not eating back my cals. I did my second weigh in again exactly 5 weeks from the first and now I have a loss of 10lbs. Trust the process and get a measuring tape. Seeing inches lost is just as satisfying as seeing lbs lost.