New to the boards, looking for friends

Options
smc92079
smc92079 Posts: 219 Member
Hi all - My name is Sandra and I'm a 37 year old from NYS. I've used SparkPeople in the past, but I've decided to give MFP a go since I know others that use it and really like the interface of the app.

I recently became a lawyer, and have just started my first job in my new profession. After years of law school and being glued to my desk studying with little time for anything else, I gained about 4 dress sizes. Not sure what that equates to in pounds, because I don't remember what I weighed when I started law school. I'm at 238lbs now and 5'8". My first goal is to get back under 200lbs.

I've been tracking steadily for just over a week, and mostly managing to stay within the calorie goal set for me. That being said, I haven't been measuring or weighing, but getting as close as I can ballpark. I know that accuracy really helps, but I will get there as I settle into this new job.

I'd love to have friends for support, to get advice from, and to generally just make this experience more rich and motivating. Hope to hear from some of you soon!

Replies

• ourenchantedcottage
    ourenchantedcottage Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on becoming a lawyer. My family has many. Me more of the artsy type, Professional Culinary and Pastry Chef. I new on this web site. I feel better when eating better. I am now trying to put together a dessert company that will give decadent desserts that are healthy. I know what you are saying, can both of those things go into the same sentence? LOL. But I think that they can. After all, who really knows more about food than a chef. Taste is where it is at, otherwise, don't bother.
    I would love to compare notes and support each other for our goals.
    I am originally a New Yorker, my brother got his Juris Doctorate from Saint Johns, can I ask where you did?
  • Fitoncemore
    Fitoncemore Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well i will try this again! I replied once but it didn't take.

I became self employed about six years and have created a small transcription/editing/writing business. It's great but with sitting all day, 40s hitting me in the face, and lack of time, I've really let myself go.

Ourenchantedcottage, i love to cook! My son got inspired by our many times in the kitchen together and he went to culinary school and is now a chef in Charleston SC.

My goal is to lose 40 to 50 pounds but i think I'm going to look it as a few pounds at a time versus that big 50 way down the road.

I would love a group to keep ourselves motivated and encouraged! Feel free to add me. I just learned today how to add people!
  • smc92079
    smc92079 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on becoming a lawyer. My family has many. Me more of the artsy type, Professional Culinary and Pastry Chef. I new on this web site. I feel better when eating better. I am now trying to put together a dessert company that will give decadent desserts that are healthy. I know what you are saying, can both of those things go into the same sentence? LOL. But I think that they can. After all, who really knows more about food than a chef. Taste is where it is at, otherwise, don't bother.
    I would love to compare notes and support each other for our goals.
    I am originally a New Yorker, my brother got his Juris Doctorate from Saint Johns, can I ask where you did?

I went to Albany Law. I'm from Albany and I'm probably never leaving, so it was really my only option!