The Struggles of Getting Back in the Gym

Options
It's been two days since I've been back in the gym and besides the skid marks that i have between my inner thighs. I feel great! Theres a shift in my energy level. I work over night and usually around this time I feel sluggish but Im feeling lively . The hardest part of my mission is getting out of the house- thats always my struggle. Working out feels like a chore. Anyone else feel this way?

My main goal is to improve my eating habits and lose 50 pounds . I would like to turn into a fitness phenome but the process is a challenge (even in my wildest dreams). I do understand nothing happens over night but i would like to see my goal fulfilled. I've been on this fitness journey for a long time. the ability to stick with it without the regress- I guess is the ultimate goal.

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    It gets easier every day. I started going at the 1st of this month and at first was scared I would not be able to make it the 3x/week that I was supposed to. Then I started being happy about it being "gym day". And this morning I woke up, realized it is "no gym day" and decided to take my gym stuff to work and go anyway.
    When I go directly from work, I am not in my comfy home to start with and my colleagues have seen that I carry my gym bag... so I just have to go.
  • KeepOnMovjng
    KeepOnMovjng Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I used to have the motivation before because I used to go with my friend. Then she moved away and I couldn't afford to go so stopped.

I'm now looking to go back to the gym. Got an option of 4 gyms, my preferred of them (due to classes and facilities) being the furthest away. Can see weight coming off me and I do exercise outside of the gym but nothing extrenuous but without set work times, distance of two buses (an hours journey). I know il feel motivated once I'm there too and I used to feel more relaxed each day when I had the routine. Yet the motivation to go after not being for a while gets at me especially with the idea of if I get a membership for the closest one I might not go as it doesn't have the classes and facilities that I want and the furthest one will be out of sight out of mind or in my mind I can't be bothered to travel the journey, oh il leave it for today...
  • ericawatsonboucher
    ericawatsonboucher Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've always had the same issue. If I miss one day at the gym it turns into a month and then two months..

This time I'm just forcing myself not to miss a day and to get myself to go to the gym. I'm pushing myself really hard because I do feel a lot better now that I'm working out again. I don't want to let myself fall back into those old feelings that I had.
    It's definitely taking a lot of hard work and commitment, but I find that coming on mfp gives me some of the motivation to keep pushing myself. Until it becomes a solid routine that I can't live without!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've always had the same issue. If I miss one day at the gym it turns into a month and then two months..

Truth. There are days I just don't feel like going, but I make myself. Other days, I can't wait to get in. Some days, i decide to get an extra workout in when im bored.

Consistancy and making it a habit, will go a long way to keeping it going. Get on a plan/schedule, and try to stick to it, until it becomes routine. Then the inertia works in your favor.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I write down my workout times at the gym IN PEN in my calendar, and keep the appointment. I also put on my workout clothes whether I'm in the mood or not, and then I figure that as long as I'm dressed for the activity I might as well hop in the car and show up at the gym. This afternoon, I absolutely don't feel like going but I'm going anyway. I will give myself permission to quit my workout after 30 minutes (but whenever I do this I end up working out for the whole hour, and that's the accomplishment I'm going for.) Good luck!
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. One workout at a time.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like to plan myself little rewards for working out. Some people put $1 in a jar after every workout, so that they can buy something nice as a treat, but I prefer to plan a nice bubble bath or a manicure! I find it really motivates me to have something to look forward to afterwards :)

I also hired a PT at my local gym, who texts me loads and makes sure I'm not going to cancel on her haha