Any great body weight workout routines?

Options
Or light weight?

I only have five pound dumbbells so I am looking for something with crazy results with all body weight training or using small weights.

Any one have any suggestions?
I have tried several workout DVDs and I kind of have workout ADD haha, but I need to commit to something.

Replies

• Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Or light weight?

I only have five pound dumbbells so I am looking for something with crazy results with all body weight training or using small weights.

Any one have any suggestions?
    I have tried several workout DVDs and I kind of have workout ADD haha, but I need to commit to something.

Check out Convict Conditioning.

http://www.dragondoor.com/b41/?apid=stooooo
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    bodyrocks.tv is online and it has workouts that are mainly bodyweight. She has some limited equipment but there are plenty of workouts that don't incorporate anything else.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I really like The Hollywood Trainer's Cardio-Sculpt DVD - it's like a Pump Class but only uses 1-2 sets of light dumbbells and enough space to lie down for push-ups/ab work. There's also a Cross-Training one that includes Cardio-Sculpt, Kick-Boxing, Yoga and Pilates - might be good for your ADD.
    111408 Posts: 27
    Options
    That book is pretty much what I'm looking for, but too pricey, maybe if I can find something like it online?

I've glanced at bodyrock.tv several times and I must miss the body weight ones, every time I'm on there I have seen sand bags and dip bars etc, but I really haven't gone in depth on the website. I'll check it out!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    If you have time to go in depth to bodyrock.tv, many of her earlier workouts are bodyweight only. They are incredible, short (12 mins) and one of my favorite passtimes. That is something strange to see myself type, as I never thought an intense interval workout would be my favorite activity!!
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    I'll second "Convict Conditioning". It's what I'm using and I can definitely see results. :D
  • kstob1990
    kstob1990 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use my five pound dumbells for this workout and I still burn alot of calories (i use a heart rate monitor) but it works! and its only 45 minutes depending on how much you rest

So do each of these moves for a minute, and then do the whole circuit twice so do a-d and then when you finish do it again.

Circuit A:
    Elevated Push Up
    Squat with Overhead Press
    Standard Crunches (but bring your knees up with your shoulders )

Circuit B:
    Bicep Drop/Step Ups
    Plank with Leg Lift (lift each leg straight up)
    Reverse Lunge with weights

Circuit C:
    Dead lift w/ row (drop to a seated position with straight back and bring arms up with weights then stand)
    Side Plank with Hip lift (do a plank on one arm and then raise your hips, to modify you can put the inside knee on the ground at a 90 degree angle)
    Squat Jumps (squat and when you return to standing jump in place)

Circuit D:
    Spring Fly (stand on one leg and bend over so your back is parallel to the ground then drop your arms with the weight and spread them like you are trying to fly, alternate legs)
    Bicycle Crunches
    Lunge-Squat-Hop (lunge forward, squat, then jump/alternate legs)
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    bodyrocks.tv is online and it has workouts that are mainly bodyweight. She has some limited equipment but there are plenty of workouts that don't incorporate anything else.

^^This^^

I get bored so quick with work outs. So I started doing bodyrock.tv.com this week. Those things really kick your bum. There are so many different ones to pick from it would take a long time to get bored.

*edited to add a few links*

http://www.bodyrock.tv/2010/08/27/get-these-abs-workout/

http://www.bodyrock.tv/2010/02/13/fat-assassin-workout/

http://www.bodyrock.tv/2010/07/02/best-ripped-abs-workout/

http://www.bodyrock.tv/2010/11/04/butt-buster-workout/

I went through last week and bookmarked a bunch for me to do this month :)
    Options
    Thanks so much for the links sunyg!

Zuzana is amazing!

How many of her workouts are you doing a day?
    Should I do one of hers and yoga for stretching daily?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I'll second "Convict Conditioning". It's what I'm using and I can definitely see results. :D

Not bad, I did it for 11 months and 29 days one time.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! I am going to check these out!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,180 Member
    Options
    A good book is Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym"

Good web-sites --

bodyweightculture.com (free site)
    bodyweightcoach.com (they have a free workout you can sign up for but also have a bunch of programs you can purchase I have used some and they are quite good)
    turbulencetraining.com (again a pay site he has bodyweight stuff but more with weights that I have found)
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    Thanks so much for the links sunyg!

Zuzana is amazing!

How many of her workouts are you doing a day?
    Should I do one of hers and yoga for stretching daily?

It depends on how long it was and how much it kicked my bum. The other day I did just a 12 minute ab workout so I made up for it by doing jump rope and some squats. But I did a 15 minute full body workout 1 day that had me super sore, so I just did that.

I think yoga would be a really great thing to add to any of her workouts. I may have to try doing that.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian Michaels 'No more trouble zones dvd'. Its an all over body toning workout and I had lovely defined arms when I did it a few times a week regularly. I used 5lb weights.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian Michaels 'No more trouble zones dvd'. Its an all over body toning workout and I had lovely defined arms when I did it a few times a week regularly. I used 5lb weights.

This is what I was going to suggest as well. JM only uses 3 pound weights in the video but as she says, when you're doing 5 minutes straight of biceps (supersets, circuits), your muscles are still going to feel it by the end.
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Do you have a pull up bar? Lots of great moves you can do with one of those.
    Options
    Thanks for the JM suggestions, I have tried some of her videos, and get tired of the repitition. I made it to day 7 of the 30DS and burned out.

Sadly do not have a pull up bar, or I would be all over that!

Thanks for info on what you do sunyg, I am leaning towards Zuzana, and maybe some running for cardio, followed by stretching daily.

We'll see!