Does anyone else find themselves starving?

Options
So my calorie goal is just under 1500. I made a breakfast today packed with protein so that I wouldn't get too hungry too fast. For lunch I had some cereal. That was about four hours ago. It almost 4 pm and I found myself STARVING. But I only have about 600 calories left that I'm trying to save for dinner. What gives?

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    So couple things...how're you measuring your intake? Such as with a measuring cup or a food scale? And are you close to your time of the month (assuming Maggie is a woman)?

No I don't typically feel starving. I don't eat breakfast and love coffee with creamer which gets me to lunch. In my opinion, 600 calories for dinner is a lot! I can eat two chicken thighs and a bunch of veggies in that. And probably could squeeze in some fruit for dessert.
  • MaggieMayy959
    MaggieMayy959 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Aunt flow came today! Lol. I usually don't eat breakfast but I did today. I used to have a hard time meeting my calorie goals. I'm CRAVING carbs like so bad. About to do some yoga to help with the cramps but I am RAVENOUS today. It's to the point where I have a headache. And I typically measure my food with a measuring cup. I've done this before and it's worked for me, but today I'm just so hungry!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Coffee with skim milk at 2pm hits my spot.
  • newlark01
    newlark01 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    More questions - how long have you been dieting and have you changed the type of food you eat ? I found I struggled with hunger in the first couple of weeks, particularly late afternoon, but once my body got used to eating less I stopped feeling so hungry between meals - I think it is worse when I'm eating more carbs so am trying to increase protein.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise at all? I have a calorie goal of 1350 which I would definitely feel like I'm starving on. I get a few hundred exercise calories everyday and eat them all back. I'm much happier since starting that routine.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Aunt flow came today! Lol. I usually don't eat breakfast but I did today. I used to have a hard time meeting my calorie goals. I'm CRAVING carbs like so bad. About to do some yoga to help with the cramps but I am RAVENOUS today. It's to the point where I have a headache. And I typically measure my food with a measuring cup. I've done this before and it's worked for me, but today I'm just so hungry!

Well that's probably why...when it's my TOM, I don't typically give into the cravings but ...sometimes I do. I will change the MFP settings to .5lbs/week which gives me a calorie deficit yet more calories that day. That way I can fit some ice cream or cheese-it's/goldfish when it gets bad.
  • MaggieMayy959
    MaggieMayy959 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is my second time around. I lost 50 pounds before, now my goal is about 20 more but it's been a while. I used to eat very little and still do. I've been making myself meet my calorie goal. However, now that I've gotten used to it, I get more hungry. Like I never ate breakfast before and I was fine. Once I started, I couldn't stop. Also I find that eating breakfast makes me even more hungry at lunch time. As for exercise, yes I do. I'm fairly active. But in talking to my nutritionist, I found that often we do not burn as many calories as we reward ourselves after exercise. So we may think we burned 200 but only burned 75, resulting in going over the limit. While I'm not super concerned, I try to stay to my limit without factoring in exercise
  • jruch23
    jruch23 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I think it's because you only had cereal for lunch. It doesnt crave hunger very much and not much protein at all. Plus 4 hrs later. If you only want to eat cereal for lunch, try throwing in some fruit in it and also make a protein shake with more fruit in it. Or have a side of yogurt or cottage cheese.
  • bootyful2017
    bootyful2017 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hungry sometimes yes. Starving, never.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat my meals until I feel a little hungry (I can generally eat whenever I want at work and at home). Wake up around 630, breakfast 930-10, lunch 1-2, dinner 6-7, sleep 10-11. Works for me generally.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This is my second time around. I lost 50 pounds before, now my goal is about 20 more but it's been a while. I used to eat very little and still do. I've been making myself meet my calorie goal. However, now that I've gotten used to it, I get more hungry. Like I never ate breakfast before and I was fine. Once I started, I couldn't stop. Also I find that eating breakfast makes me even more hungry at lunch time. As for exercise, yes I do. I'm fairly active. But in talking to my nutritionist, I found that often we do not burn as many calories as we reward ourselves after exercise. So we may think we burned 200 but only burned 75, resulting in going over the limit. While I'm not super concerned, I try to stay to my limit without factoring in exercise

Is your goal set here on MFP or by the Nutritionist? What is your weekly weight loss target?

Also, as others have said, cereal alone for lunch is rubbish. Of course you'd be hungry after that. a better choice including some protein will help.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

For me personally, eating breakfast makes me much more hungry throughout the day. That could be the case here if you aren't used to eating it. Coupled with the timing of your monthly visit, could have intensified things even more
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You should eat every 2.5 to 3 hours.

why?
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    If you started having trouble with hunger when you started eating breakfast maybe you should cut it out again. It would also give you more calories to work with later in the day.
  • joaomelo1973
    joaomelo1973 Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

why?

Somedays that i didn´t hate my afternoon snacks i would eat almost anything in da fridge just before dinner time.

To not feel starving is the simple answer. Of course there are more scientific answers...just google (and you´ll get opposite opinions as well).

Also, simple carbs will make you hungry again very fast as opposite to protein and complex carbs.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

why?

That´s something to do with insulin spikes and or something like that. Somedays that i didn´t prepare my afternoon snacks i would eat almost eveything in da fridge just before dinner time.

To not feel starving is the simple answer.

so you should eat every 2.5 to 3 hours, if that happens to you, not OP or anyone else....
  • grantbjnk
    grantbjnk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I get 1270 calories a day. I was really worried I would be starving so I made a plan to attack it. I know that my afternoons are when I get hungry, like many people. So I plan for it. I have a ~300 calorie breakfast, lunch, and ~400 for dinner. That leaves me 200 calories for snacks. I can eat them all at once or I usually have some in the late afternoon and have some left for after dinner. I also find that if I am not getting in my water intake, I'm starving! (or at least I think I am). Take a couple days and try to figure out what signals your body is trying to tell you and then make a plan to accommodate that. Being hungry on a diet is not going to lead to success. If you need a day where you eat because you are hungry, then do it. But account for it and get back on track the next day. Your body may be telling you something important, don't ignore it. I also find that ICE or gum also helps me through those "hungry" times. Its something to chew on so my brain thinks I'm eating. Hope that helps.
  • joaomelo1973
    joaomelo1973 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

why?

That´s something to do with insulin spikes and or something like that. Somedays that i didn´t prepare my afternoon snacks i would eat almost eveything in da fridge just before dinner time.

To not feel starving is the simple answer.

so you should eat every 2.5 to 3 hours, if that happens to you, not OP or anyone else....

Just my $0,02 advice. As i said...It worked for me. Lost 66 pounds so far and my clinical analysis just got way better.