Veggie pasta?

Options
Okay so I bought it... has anyone tried it? Reviews??

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Name what kind. There are many. Some from spinach, some from black beans, even some from chickpeas.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about regular (wheat) pasta colored with vegetables or the spiralized "noodles" made of vegetables like zucchini or sweet potato?
  • MaggieMayy959
    MaggieMayy959 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's Barilla. Veggie penne. I think tomato and carrot?
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but I'm a fan of the pow lentil pasta from ancient harvest.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,907 Member
    Options
    Okay so I bought it... has anyone tried it? Reviews??
    It's Barilla. Veggie penne. I think tomato and carrot?

Nonrevolutionary. If you close your eyes, that type tastes pretty much like regular pasta. Maybe a little more difficult to get just al dente.

The chickpea & lentil pastas, to me, have a bit of as flat taste - need a flavorful sauce.

Edamame or soy pasta I've had is kinda chewy, but good in pseudo-Asian style preparations.

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I buy them frequently and can't really taste any difference from plain pasta.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I looked at some packaging and the calories were high and their were additives...plus its expensive. If I want this type of food I would make my own. I like to make zoodles with zucchini and spaghetti squash is made to be faux noodles.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    On the german packaging the Barilla ones has "25% vegetable puree". So basically this is normal pasta, with some added vegetable. Hardly comparable to lentil/chickpea which does not have wheat and not to zoodles at all.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I use the Barilla veggie pasta a lot, because for the carbs it packs a LOT more nutrition and fiber than traditional pasta.

Some veggie pastas do contain some veggie puree but it's so low it's basically just used as food coloring. Not horrible, but not what I'm going for.
  • heathertaylorrr
    heathertaylorrr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash!
    It has ~7 carbs vs regular spaghetti at ~43 carbs