Trying to lose 30 lbs..

Options
I'm a 150lb 5'4 gal who has been really struggling with losing this weight. My confidence is lower than ever and no matter what people say I just see disgustingness and I feel uncomfortable in my own skin. Im extremely frustrated at this point because it's been so long and I'm really just wondering if anyone out there with a similar body shape went through a similar situation where the scale is just stuck at 150 could help me out.. Maybe give me some tips on what mistakes they made or what helped them or anything! Any tips would be appreciated

Replies

• JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi - from the standpoint of body type we are not the same but in terms of your mental state and what you are looking to accomplish, we are the same! In the last 18 months I have lost about 35 pounds. I have yo-yo dieted my entire life and have made every mistake you can make. Tried starving myself, didnt work. Tried doing a bunch of cardio, didnt work. Tried diet pills and fads, didnt work.

Here is what did work, I stopped caring how long it took me to reach my goals and just focused week to week on doing the activities I knew would get me to my goal. I did not try to lose too fast (when i have done in the past I just put all the weight back on). Start out slow, maybe start walking a few times a week. Maybe then get to the gym 1 or 2 times a week and start with some basic lifts. Don't overdue it, ease into it. If you do too much too fast you will be really sore and/or hurt yourself, either way it is demotivating.

Try to research some macro calculators and establish your current maintenance level and try to lose about 1-2lbs per week. In the beginning you might lose more but as time goes on it may be a little more difficult. When that happens, take a week or 2 to reset, find your new maintenance level and restart.

Best of luck, definitely post your progress and questions when you get frustrated. Goodluck!

• timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You look pretty small already, what is your goal? What are you doing for exercise? What do you enjoy doing for exercise? Have you been working on mental health as well as physical health (I often find that I struggle with physical health if I see it as a means to fixing my mental health)? Do you log accurately? Do you strive to eat clean, sleep, have fun?

I'm sorry you're struggling, the above are just a few questions you could ask yourself.
  • morazacs1991
    morazacs1991 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi! We're physically very similar! I'm 26 years old started out couple months ago at 5'4" 167lbs (boo second highest weight I've ever been at.) after stepping on that scale for the first time in months I had a good cry cause I was starting at a weight heavier than 2 years ago when I joined myfitnesspal. I lost all that weight got down to 129lbs and gained it back over 6 months. Had alot of stressors in my life-im an ER nurse so everything is always stressful at work, got married and bought our first house in that time. So yeah I gained 35lbs back, now couple months in I'm down to 145lbs. I'm losing weight faster than I did last time and I think it's because my logs are much more accurate by using a food scale as well as enforcing my new rule of no eating after 830pm, and finally not using workout days as an excuse to eat whatever rationalizing it with," I worked so hard and burned enough calories im sure it won't matter that I'm eating _" hope this helps/motivates, I sent you a friend request too!
  • kaaatyk
    kaaatyk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    JJS1979 wrote: »
    thank you, I'm glad i decided to post this because I love how real your response is. very thankful!!
  • kaaatyk
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    thanks for responding I've been struggling mentally with all this. I'll be going to the doctor and thinking there's something wrong with me and then leave thinking "wow there really isn't I'm just dumb and lazy" or something along those lines, and a whole war starts in my own head haha. I'm gonna work on trying to have more fun with all this.. just hearing from others like this is motivating already I just have to learn to keep up the spurts of motivation I suppose..
  • kaaatyk
    Options
    thank you so much for the pieces of advice <3 I'll keep your words in mind. Also, do you have any tips about going out with friends and eating? Once in a while a friend asks me to hang out we end up eating or going somewhere to eat so I was just wondering