Feeling down about a binge

Options
Hi guys,

I just had my happiness washed out of me. I went to the movies last night and indulged in ice cream, a muffin and a choccy bar. I felt bad for a while but I have been really good this week and last week so I decided to let it go and move on. I weighed myself this morning and thankfully i was still the same........ Thought that was the end of it and I had escaped the gain.
I have been told that my weight wont change now but in a week i could be up a kg because of last nights treat. So now im feeling really sad because I know the scale will be going up next week.
Is this true?

Replies

• kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    All you can do is move forward...eat healthy and work out. You will be just fine :)
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    don't worry...it's life! and little treats and over-eating can happen. just try to minimize. no worries...just get back to your normal routine and you will be fine. and so will the scale!
  • jemko
    jemko Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try to look at the big picture, don't focus on one days bad eating or one particular weeks weigh-in. If you stay on track and eat well, get your exercise in, one bad day can't ruin ALL of the work you're doing - right? You're still doing well, and even if the scale goes up a smidge next week (which I doubt it would, really), it's not a big deal. There are always going to be fluctuations in your weight from week to week, whether it's PMS bloat, one bad day or something else. Maybe, rather than focusing on weekly or daily weight, try to focus on what your monthly totals are. You can still weigh yourself more often, if you feel you need to, but maybe taking more of a 'big picture' approach will help you stay more positive and focused on the good.

Most of all, just don't get down on yourself - you're still doing great! It looks like you're almost halfway to your goal (based on your ticker) and that's fantastic!
  • DaFrogRibbit
    DaFrogRibbit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a spike in calories helps boost your metabolism. If your binge was just an occasionsionally mishap then i saw don't worry yourself about it. Stress will make you hold on to weight. Just start back eating right and things will be alright.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I also get down on myself when I have a bad night, but the fact that you're this conscience about it means you won't let it get out of control! You'll pick yourself up and get back on track! Don't worry, everyone deserves a "cheat night" ;-)
  • jessicajones1022
    jessicajones1022 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I worked out hardcore twice today and then got too hungry today because we have no food in the house and decided to get a full rack of Chili's baby back ribs. I.Ate.Them.All

And I feel horrible. I was doing so good :(

I guess we just have to wallow a bit then get back on track.....
  • bearsfan68
    bearsfan68 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We all have days when we fall off. Just get back up and go forward. Also if I overeat I will exercise, even if its just 15 minutes and that makes me feel a little better.

Good luck!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Everybody slips, get back up now
  • sdgrindin
    sdgrindin Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi guys,

I just had my happiness washed out of me. I went to the movies last night and indulged in ice cream, a muffin and a choccy bar. I felt bad for a while but I have been really good this week and last week so I decided to let it go and move on. I weighed myself this morning and thankfully i was still the same........ Thought that was the end of it and I had escaped the gain.
    I have been told that my weight wont change now but in a week i could be up a kg because of last nights treat. So now im feeling really sad because I know the scale will be going up next week.
    Is this true?
    It's ok to treat yourself once in awhile. Don't stress over it.

Just get back to your regular diet and exercise 3-5 days per week.

If you want to make yourself feel better really quickly, fast for 24 hours once this week. I'm currently on my once a week fast (intermittent fasting). When I fast, I often feel like I'm getting shredded just sitting here at my desk. haha
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    I have never heard that if you have a bad day that a week from now you weight will go up. If anything the weight would or could have been put on the next day from the food not being processed out or from water retention.
    Seriously do not get down and today is another day. We all have those days ( I have them often and my weight is still dropping). Chin up and continue your hard work and dedication!!!
  • RosieGB33nz
    RosieGB33nz Posts: 142
    Options
    When you say fast, does that mean no food at all?
    Thanks everyone, i'm feeling better... haven't worked out today so will definitely have to do that this arvo
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If this site is to be believed (and I have no reason to doubt it so far!), you'd have to eat 3500 cals over your goal to put on one lb. Not 1kg. There is a big difference. And as for time frames I really have no idea how quickly you'd out on this weight if you were going to... I guess it just depends on your metabolism. But like everyone else has said - write it off as a bad day, we all have them from time to time. Just go back to being good now, get in some exercise, drink loads of water and move on. I'm sure you'll be fine.

just as a little extra note: Bad days do suck, and the guilt we feel is a really really rubbish feeling. But if you are going to over indulge once in a while make sure that you really enjoy it. Savour every bite, no point in feeling the guilt and not the pleasure ;)
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If this site is to be believed (and I have no reason to doubt it so far!), you'd have to eat 3500 cals over your goal to put on one lb. Not 1kg. There is a big difference. And as for time frames I really have no idea how quickly you'd out on this weight if you were going to... I guess it just depends on your metabolism. But like everyone else has said - write it off as a bad day, we all have them from time to time. Just go back to being good now, get in some exercise, drink loads of water and move on. I'm sure you'll be fine.

just as a little extra note: Bad days do suck, and the guilt we feel is a really really rubbish feeling. But if you are going to over indulge once in a while make sure that you really enjoy it. Savour every bite, no point in feeling the guilt and not the pleasure ;)
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I usually workout the following day burning about 600 calories and then I don't eat any excercise calories. It helps mentally feel much better about the binge! Good luck! Try not to let it bum you out too much! I would think as long asy ou stay on track for the rest of the week it shouldn't affect your way in. Sometimes a binge can help move the scale down..sometimes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Is this true?
    AMATEUR!!! When I go to the movies I ALWAYS have nachos with cheese, 2 hot dogs, popcorn and raisenettes! Yep, it's like 1900 calories at one sitting! Is weight up the next day? Yep a little, but with a little extra diligence (15 extra minutes on the track for me) it's gone by a day or 2! So it happens............small set back but in life what doesn't have a set back at one time or another?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Is this true?
    AMATEUR!!! When I go to the movies I ALWAYS have nachos with cheese, 2 hot dogs, popcorn and raisenettes! Yep, it's like 1900 calories at one sitting! Is weight up the next day? Yep a little, but with a little extra diligence (15 extra minutes on the track for me) it's gone by a day or 2! So it happens............small set back but in life what doesn't have a set back at one time or another?
  • frankmmafreak
    frankmmafreak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with DaFrog. If you have been eating really clean and lo cal for two weeks, a binge day could "trick" your metabolism into reving up a bit. You may not see a gain at all. If you do see a little gain, call it experience and move on.
  • trimtrim
    trimtrim Posts: 11
    Options
    Don't stress about it, earn extra points tomorrow with a workout! I made chocolate cupcakes today delicious but i did an hours cardio so I'm ok about it
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about anything that is already past. Start again now. Not tomorrow. NOW. Workout if you still feel guilty, but realize one time isn't gonna kill you. This is a lifestyle change... Don't think of it as a diet. If you don't give in every now and again, you'll drive yourself crazy. I'm telling you this as I'm inhaling this lollipop! Just relax. :)
  • RosieGB33nz
    RosieGB33nz Posts: 142
    Options
    ninerbuff, that's a lot of food, im impressed!!!
    I do tell myself this is a lifestyle change which is why i allowed myself to indulge because i'm not going to go to the movies and not have an ice cream.... the muffin was really rubbish so i do regret that, learning curve on that one. I bought myself sugar free lollies to help with my cravings, i feel like i should have had them instead but like you all say, a new day today where i am loading up on water to try and wash it out or what ever it does.

I just want to say you are all soo awesome, i really appreciate you support and info, it really does help me through the day :happy: