Anyone with a Desk job?

Rjkenowski
Rjkenowski Posts: 2 Member
I have a desk job and sit most of the day. I have 50 pounds to lose and determined to lose it! Aiming for 10,000+ steps a day for starters! Add me if you have a desk job for support and motivation!!
Thanks!

Replies

• pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Hiya, I'm an IT engineer so I know aaaaaalllll about sitting at a desk all day! I'm a Fitbit user and try to hit at least 9k steps a day. I'll send you an FR :)
  • bellmjr
    bellmjr Posts: 5 Member
    Hi, how do we add each other?
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Have one here, and can go hours without leaving my office. How do you like the Fitbit and how do you use it?
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    edited July 2017
    I have a desk job. I don't worry about how many steps TBH. I control my weight loss through my diet and training
  • SimplyDe1967
    SimplyDe1967 Posts: 25 Member
    I've had a desk job for years. I do try to get up and stretch every few hours. I rarely leave for lunch so I eat quickly and get back to work. I do live in my office especially when junk food is brought in by vendors. It gets irritating when there are bagels, cookies, subs, etc in the kitchen for all to grab. The worst is when Mexican food is brought in (yummmm); which is my #1 weakness.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    I sit a good part of the day. I walk during breaks and exercise after work. A good diet will be your friend for desk workers.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Yep - desk worker here. The days I am in the office, I get to walk to and from the station which helps enormously. Days I work from home I do struggle. I take the time to take a proper lunch break and go for a walk or find a short online workout that I can do from home. I agree with @MaddMaestro - good diet is vital (and restraint). I work in a team of eaters - who eat in the office when they are celebrating something, happy, sad, stressed - and I have learnt that I simply have to say no to joining them. It gets comments some days but hey - I'm more concerned about my health than eating to please someone else!

I've got a fitbit which buzzes every hour on my wrist with a nudge to get up and walk - I will walk to the furthest kitchen on the floor, fill up my water and walk back. By the time I've taken a couple of detours to talk to people that I need to, I'm close to my 250 steps an hour.

@Amyfinch0 - I work in central london so prices for food are ridiculous. We make meals at home in the evening, freeze leftovers and I then take a portion of something into the office to reheat and I will stock up on fruit, yoghurt and snacks as part of our weekly household shop. If I go for a walk at lunchtime I now deliberately leave my purse in the office so that I can't buy crisps, chocolate etc. Works for my diet and my bank balance!
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Also desk job.
    I keep a relatively small bottle of water on my desk, which means I have to walk over to the kitchen to fill it up quite often, and also to the bathroom because I'm drinking a lot of water!
    I make sure I get out at lunchtime to get steps in, even if I bring my lunch with me, and also make sure my commute includes plenty of walking.

I'm lucky that I work near loads of places where I can get healthy food for lunch, but bringing my snacks is essential to keep away from the vending machine!
  • sunilkherain
    sunilkherain Posts: 1 Member
    i hve question.. I want to shredd 4 kg... and ...as per MFP my daily goal is 2250 calories ... At the end of the day..MFP tell me that more than 1000 calroies left.. then why do i gain weight ... if i don't do exercise and eat much less than my required quota of calories.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    I don't know if this helps but when I filled everything out I put down a sedentary lifestyle.
    I am 50 I now have 20 lbs left to go but mfp gives me only 1270 calories.
    Right now I am not on a machine that will let me add friends but feel free to add me or I will come back later.
    I work full time and am lucky to get 400 steps in at work. I make an effort at lunchtime but this job serves food to us a couple times a month. Today is pizza day last week we had donut day. More than half the workers are overweight. :#

I would definitely like some friends who have desk jobs.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    I have a desk job. I was able to get an adjustable desk, so now I can stand the majority of my day. I also try to move away from my desk at least once an hour (to get some steps in and to help my eyes recover from looking at a monitor all day). I have also started walking during my lunch break.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    edited July 2017
    I have a desk job - and I'm there ALL day. I drink lots of water so I make myself walk to the restroom that is far away and I always take the stairs. I go to the gym for an hour during lunch (thankfully we have a gym on campus).

@Amyfinch0 - I eat ALL DAY LONG. The things that have changed is what I eat now. I have a mini fridge at my desk and bring all my food in on Tuesday (work Tues-Fri). This week - boiled eggs, cheese sticks, cottage cheese, peaches, yogurt, watermelon, fajita chicken (w/sour cream and cheese) over a bed of lettuce, and protein shakes. I'll eat at least 4 times while I'm at work - maybe five if I work late. In an entire day I eat a total of 6 mini meals.
  • ValkyrieOnline
    ValkyrieOnline Posts: 160 Member
    Cheesesticks, yum!
    I am at my desk as we type! I feel like I have been much more active/working on my weight loss since I work full time now! I guess like the thought of a busy schedule! :smiley:
  • smc92079
    smc92079 Posts: 219 Member
    edited July 2017
    I am in a desk job too. I went from being in an office where I was moving around fairly often to a new job where I sit all the time. I adjusted my program last night because of it and I'm a little freaked out about the fact that I have about 300 less kcal a day now. But, that just means I have to make better choices, right?! I'll send you a friend request!

I'd be happy for anyone in this thread to add me as well! I think support from people who deal with being at a desk all day would be wonderful.
  • AshEvelynn
    AshEvelynn Posts: 205 Member
    I too work at a desk. I take a break at 9:30 for some cottage cheese, lunch at 1 and two snacks after that, usually at three. I have a 32oz water bottle from Contigo that I love! I make sure to drink 1 bottle in the am and 1 after lunch before I go home. Bam, 64 oz of water without trying (I also have a little trick that if I 'LOOK' at my water bottle, I have to take a sip) lol. As far as steps go, it never happens. Sad, but true for me. I have been looking at some of those under the desk elliptical/cycle things but very pricey and not sure if it would be compatible in my situation. Might work for others! Please ad me if interested :)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I have a desk job and I get 10K before leaving the office at 5. I come about 40 minutes early and walk to get coffee at McDonald's then I take 2 five-ten min breaks, morning and afternoon, and I walk around the outer perimeter of my building. On lunch I have an hour so I walk 20 minutes each way to Wendy's to grab a chili for lunch. By the time I go home my sedentary job is a 10K step day plus what I do in the evenings.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017