How do I weigh/log ice cream?

Options
bbontheb
bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
I'm a bit confused as to how I log ice cream. I have an ml option on my scale but I have no idea if that is close to accurate (for liquids). It seems way too big for the amount that it is showing in say grams or ml...sorry if this is dumb, lol

Replies

• sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I measure ice cream instead of weighing. If you weigh I would suggest ounces
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I have an ml option on my scale but I have no idea if that is close to accurate (for liquids).
    It is not accurate unless the liquid is water or the density of water. All the scale is doing is taking the grams that it weighs and changing the label to ml.

For the sake of convenience, I'll go ahead and weigh some small amounts of liquids (like salad dressing) but I keep in mind that the number on the scale isn't as accurate as I might like.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Oh, measuring ice cream is my pet peave as well! I try to convert ml to grams based on the weight of the whole packet. My current favourite, Oppo ice cream here in the U.K., weighs about 320g for a 500ml pot, so I weigh 65 or so grams and log 100ml. But the conversion will vary for different types of ice cream, as they'll have different density.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The ice cream I eat has a suggested serving size in grams on the tub, so I stick a bowl on my scales and scoop out ice cream until I reach that figure (or some other number I've worked out)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Weigh an empty container (sans lid) of the same brand of ice cream.

Record this weight sonewhere.

Weigh entire new tub of ice cream without the lid.

Work out how many servings there are in the bucket of ice cream by dividing the total ml by the serving ml.

Divide ice cream weight by number of servings calculated in previous step.

Now you have the serving size in weight.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Weigh ice cream in tub in grams. Eat ice cream from tub. Weigh tub again in grams. Subtract both numbers. There's your weight.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    The ice cream I eat has a suggested serving size in grams on the tub, so I stick a bowl on my scales and scoop out ice cream until I reach that figure (or some other number I've worked out)

Yep. Check how many grams that particular ice cream calls a half-cup. Weigh out that many grams. Eat.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple - tare your bowl (put the bowl on the scale and then zero the scale with the bowl on the scale). Add ice cream to whatever your budget allows. Eat and enjoy!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I always weight it and log it in grams. Easy. In the US all the cartons I've bought have grams on the label. (I think the ml thing might be a Canadian issue, though, and beats me why they do that. I think I'd estimate a fourth of a pint if that were it, as that's the normal serving size of .5 cup, so should match the calories on the label. Easier if going from a pint container.)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Uch I hate this about ice cream. In Canada it is listed in ml so it is a pain.

I wonder though, the ml amount, does anyone know if it is the melted amount or packed frozen? I wonder if I could melt a tbsp or something, then weigh it and go from there. Not sure if that would help at all.

This is why I buy single servings now :p
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Same way I weigh my dog. Weigh myself and then weigh myself holding the dog and figure the difference. Except with you, measure the bowl first then add the ice cream and take the difference.

Also weight is grams.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    grams or ounces. It's unusual for a scale to not have either of those settings?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

The issue isn't the scale, but the label and database is listed in ml
  • chelllsea124
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I was answering the question in the title "How do I weigh/log ice cream?"
  • KayHBE
    KayHBE Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, I eat ice cream almost every night. So I put out my food scale, weigh the container in grams, then I eat until the scale reaches weight in grams minus a single serving.
    IE: if it says 300 grams for the container and 100 grams is a serving, I eat until container then weighs 200 g. That way it's accurate and then I cap it off and put it back in the freezer. My DD laughs every time I do this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is how I weight everything.... although I don't always eat out of all the containers, just the ice cream!!
  • chelllsea124
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I was answering the question in the title "How do I weigh/log ice cream?"

Right, most people were. But the OP was asking about not just weighing but also logging.

Got it. Sorry my answer wasn't sufficient.