How do I weigh/log ice cream?

Options

Replies

• chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    grams or ounces. It's unusual for a scale to not have either of those settings?

The issue isn't the scale, but the label and database is listed in ml

I was answering the question in the title "How do I weigh/log ice cream?"

Right, most people were. But the OP was asking about not just weighing but also logging.

Got it. Sorry my answer wasn't sufficient.

I think the only one bothered about it is you. @sardelsa was just answering your question.

Who said anything about being bothered? Don't make this something it's not. You corrected me. I apologized.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused as to how I log ice cream. I have an ml option on my scale but I have no idea if that is close to accurate (for liquids). It seems way too big for the amount that it is showing in say grams or ml...sorry if this is dumb, lol

Is there any weight conversion info on the carton at all (such as listing both the full weight & volume of the entire carton on the front)?
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I pull out my half cup measuring cup and put ice cream in it. I press it in there and make sure its flat or a little concave on the top then I eat it out of the measuring cup. It works for me.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    TarahByte wrote: »
    Same way I weigh my dog. Weigh myself and then weigh myself holding the dog and figure the difference. Except with you, measure the bowl first then add the ice cream and take the difference.

Also weight is grams.

HOW HAVE I NOT THOUGHT OF THIS. Trying to get my dog onto the scale is like the most impossible thing ever lol.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I think what people are missing is that in some parts of the world, ice cream nutrition labels show the serving size in ml, not grams.

OP, I would see if you can find a US version of the product in the database that lists grams, and then use that to log. If you have a brand that only publishes nutrition info in ml, maybe someone else can tell you how to convert.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I think what people are missing is that in some parts of the world, ice cream nutrition labels show the serving size in ml, not grams.

OP, I would see if you can find a US version of the product in the database that lists grams, and then use that to log. If you have a brand that only publishes nutrition info in ml, maybe someone else can tell you how to convert.

Yeah, I completely missed this...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Keep it simple - tare your bowl (put the bowl on the scale and then zero the scale with the bowl on the scale). Add ice cream to whatever your budget allows. Eat and enjoy!

this
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

move to the US then? :)
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    For me, it's just "did I eat the whole pint, or only half the pint?"

That's me too. So I started buying Breyers, Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Daaz mini cups. They are 3.5 -4 oz. Nutrition information on the carton. It also keeps me from eating the whole pint.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You could look up the same brand in the US, if it exists, and get the grams.

I weigh ice cream by putting the bowl on the scale with the spoon on it, hitting tare, and then putting ice cream in the bowl until it reaches the right weight.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Sorry I was confusing. I am in Canada and the labels have "ml" on it but no grams nor servings per container. It's in a 2L box of Breyer's Mint Chip haha. I will look for a substitute and think that instead of sharing it with the family I will buy my own little container if it shows how many servings are in it, and just eat it myself (hahaha)

Who knew weighing and logging could be so difficult? I should possibly pick another treat to enjoy haha!

Oh I just saw the suggestion of mini cups. I'm going to see if we have these here. Thanks for all the suggestions!

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    the labels have "ml" on it but no grams nor servings per container. It's in a 2L box
    2000 ml (the size of the whole container) divided by the serving size will give you the number of servings in the container.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused as to how I log ice cream. I have an ml option on my scale but I have no idea if that is close to accurate (for liquids). It seems way too big for the amount that it is showing in say grams or ml...sorry if this is dumb, lol

Put the bowl on the scale.
    Tare the bowl.
    Fill bowl with ice cream ... watch as the number of grams increases.
    Stop filling the bowl when the number of grams reaches the desired amount.

Same as you would with yogurt or pudding or anything else you'd put in a bowl. :)

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    Same way I weigh my dog. Weigh myself and then weigh myself holding the dog and figure the difference. Except with you, measure the bowl first then add the ice cream and take the difference.

Also weight is grams.

HOW HAVE I NOT THOUGHT OF THIS. Trying to get my dog onto the scale is like the most impossible thing ever lol.

This is how you measure luggage too ... if you don't have one of those hand-held luggage scales.

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Also weight is grams.

This is how you measure luggage too ... if you don't have one of those hand-held luggage scales.

Wow apparently my mind just wasnt capable of thinking these things lol. Here I have been hoping for the best at the airport with my luggage (no problems so far!) and wrangling my dog to sit on the scale to the point where she hides when she hears the scale now. (she was a little over weight so weighing constantly was necessary not trying to torture her on purpose :D she lost the weight lol)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Uch I hate this about ice cream. In Canada it is listed in ml so it is a pain.

I wonder though, the ml amount, does anyone know if it is the melted amount or packed frozen? I wonder if I could melt a tbsp or something, then weigh it and go from there. Not sure if that would help at all.

This is why I buy single servings now :p

How is this a pain? 125ml is serving that we get. Thats a half cup serving. Fill half cup container with ice cream and done. Eat out of that :)

I feel like it was always so inaccurate pushing the ice cream into the cup.. and then it started to melt it.. haha. I guess it's better than nothing!
  • sardelsa
    Options

I wonder though, the ml amount, does anyone know if it is the melted amount or packed frozen? I wonder if I could melt a tbsp or something, then weigh it and go from there. Not sure if that would help at all.

How is this a pain? 125ml is serving that we get. Thats a half cup serving. Fill half cup container with ice cream and done. Eat out of that :)

I feel like it was always so inaccurate pushing the ice cream into the cup.. and then it started to melt it.. haha. I guess it's better than nothing!

You only have to do this once if you place the container on the food scale, hit tare, fill up to 125ml (1/4cup) and see what this weights. Now you know how much a serving of the ice cream is in grams for future. Note on the box if you are forgetful.

Curious.. is it more accurate if it was melted in the cup? Or is it based on volume as is?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

You only have to do this once if you place the container on the food scale, hit tare, fill up to 125ml (1/4cup) and see what this weights. Now you know how much a serving of the ice cream is in grams for future. Note on the box if you are forgetful.

Curious.. is it more accurate if it was melted in the cup? Or is it based on volume as is?

Should be based on frozen/whipped volume, not thawed/liquid
  • Kida_Johnson
    Kida_Johnson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For me, it's just "did I eat the whole pint, or only half the pint?"

That's me too. So I started buying Breyers, Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Daaz mini cups. They are 3.5 -4 oz. Nutrition information on the carton. It also keeps me from eating the whole pint.

Yeah I get the single serving things sometimes too but mostly I just buy pints. If I have enough calories for half, I'll eat half. If I'm lucky enough to have calories for the whole thing (sooo Halo Top or Enlightened) I just eat the whole thing. To me a pint is either one serving or 2, I never bother to try to split it in 4ths or measure it, and if I can't afford to eat half the pint, I don't get to eat it. I'm lazy.
  • sardelsa
    Options

Should be based on frozen/whipped volume, not thawed/liquid

Got it. thanks!