Cardio First or Last

RKJR925
RKJR925 Posts: 254
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
I see many people at the gym doing cardio first and weight training second. I often question this method because of what I have been taught or read.

Many things I have read recently support the cardio last workout because it is believed that it increases fat burning.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions about this

Replies

• RKJR925
    I see many people at the gym doing cardio first and weight training second. I often question this method because of what I have been taught or read.

Many things I have read recently support the cardio last workout because it is believed that it increases fat burning.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions about this
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    I saw a TV show one day where they talked about the same thing -- some kind of exercise doctor.... anyway, he said to be more effective, do the cardio last. When I changed my routine accordingly I lost some of those dreaded pounds! Been doing it that way ever since.

Would love to read some other posts regarding the same...........
  • i usually do my cardio last because a) Im too lazy to jump right into it and b) I find that after my cardio I am DONE...
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    I don my cardio first. I find it gets my HR up, has me warmed up for the weight training. I read you should do the cardio first because if you tire out your muscles, you won't be able to do cardio as well or for as long. Who knows?:huh:
  • RKJR925
    I don my cardio first. I find it gets my HR up, has me warmed up for the weight training. I read you should do the cardio first because if you tire out your muscles, you won't be able to do cardio as well or for as long. Who knows?:huh:

I do do 10 minutes of warm up usually on the eliptical to get body temp up but then I do 30 minutes after lifting.
  • Yes definitely last. As a trainer who gets people ready for fitness shows we always recommend to people to get the cardio in after a weight session. The idea is that you burn the available sugar in your blood during the weight workout and the only source of energy (for the most part, hopefully) that your body has left is the stored body fat. That doesn't mean you should skip a warm up for the weights though....do some sort of dynamic warmup for 10-12 minutes and make sure every joint and muscle is thoroughly warmed up. Good luck!
  • I dont know if this helps at all, due to the fact that Im not really weight training yet. But I do my cardio at night after Im done eating for the day (usually around 7:30) and I've been losing weight like mad for the most part. Maybe this is just me I dont know and Im sure it will change once I start seriously into the weights. I do a bit of weights but it's really low weight, semi-high reps sort of stuff for toning.
  • Yes definitely last. As a trainer who gets people ready for fitness shows we always recommend to people to get the cardio in after a weight session. The idea is that you burn the available sugar in your blood during the weight workout and the only source of energy (for the most part, hopefully) that your body has left is the stored body fat. That doesn't mean you should skip a warm up for the weights though....do some sort of dynamic warmup for 10-12 minutes and make sure every joint and muscle is thoroughly warmed up. Good luck!

never thought of it like that. good to know. thanks
  • ontheskinnyroad
    ontheskinnyroad Posts: 205 Member
    When I had a tranier he had me do at least 5-10 mins running on the treadmill first to get the heart rate up and last after my workout he would have me do 5 min cool down on the treadmill. It's all up to you what you feel is best for your body try them both first and see what works best for you.
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Yes definitely last. As a trainer who gets people ready for fitness shows we always recommend to people to get the cardio in after a weight session. The idea is that you burn the available sugar in your blood during the weight workout and the only source of energy (for the most part, hopefully) that your body has left is the stored body fat. That doesn't mean you should skip a warm up for the weights though....do some sort of dynamic warmup for 10-12 minutes and make sure every joint and muscle is thoroughly warmed up. Good luck!

Yes, this is the same info my trainer (when I had one!) gave me!
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    I also do a 10 minute warm up on the bike or treadmill and then do my weight training. I do my cardio last, because I'm a big time sweater when I do cardio. I don't want to walk around the gym looking like a wet washcloth while I'm doing the weight training, although that does make me sweat also.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Cardio first for me!
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    It's funny. You read something different about what to do and when all the time. It's always changing. I figure if you're doing it. YAY! Keep it up and do what feels right for your workout routine. OH...and think about it this way...Changing up your routine is a good thing, so maybe go back and forth between making cardio first or last. :smile:
  • I do cardio first simply because I've found that if I don't I tend to skip it.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    I have a hard time understanding why you need to get your heart rate up if you're only going to let it fall back down for the next 30 minutes or hour of weight-lifting. If it's so important to keep your heart rate up, shouldn't you be doing intervals of cardio between weight-training sets? Maybe Songbyrd or some other expert can enlighten me about this.
  • Many people do begin their workout with cardio first and weight training after. It is effective, but not as effective if you were to perform cardio last.
    I was told to start with short warm-up. Anything from walking, biking, eliptical, etc. for about 10 - 12 mins. This gets blood flowing throughout your body.
    Then do all your weight training. This will burn the body's sugars that are produced and accumulate throughout the day.
    After your weight training, even though you're exhausted, bust out with hard-core cardio, for at least 25 mins. This burns your body's fat cells, not what you have taken in throughout the day.
    Good Luck:bigsmile:
  • I was working with my trainer last week and he told me to warm up first for 5-10 minutes, then weights and finish with cardio. Before that I would fit in cardio before with a class and then do my weights. However after breaking a plateau and losing 2 pounds last week, I will definitely follow his advice!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Do it when you know you'll do it. The chances of depleting glycogen to levels that would force primarily fatty acid use within one workout are slim to none. You retain many calories' worth of sugar, and at 60% carbohydrates that MFP recommends, it will take more than one training session to use them all up. Just do it when you know you won't go "Gosh I'm tired, I don't feel like doing cardio."
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    I was told to start with short warm-up. Anything from walking, biking, eliptical, etc. for about 10 - 12 mins. This gets blood flowing throughout your body.

As far as I know my blood is already flowing when I get to the gym. Haven't noticed any gangrene yet.

In all seriousness though, I need to walk up 3 flights of stairs to get to the gym. So I think I'm covered.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member

As far as I know my blood is already flowing when I get to the gym. Haven't noticed any gangrene yet.

In all seriousness though, I need to walk up 3 flights of stairs to get to the gym. So I think I'm covered.

LOL "As far as I know..." :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.