SLOW WT LOSS, DISCOURAGED AND CONFUSED

Options
lplanck4
lplanck4 Posts: 7 Member
I've been at this for 7 weeks and have lost maybe 10lbs, I work out 4-5 times a week for 1-2 hours at a time, half cardio/ half strength training. my clothes are really loose but the scale is barely budging. I'm crazy confused also about how many calories I need a day as I'm always hungry. I'm 46 and weigh 236, when I started I had no stamina or muscle mass. I work as a home care nurse so my activity consist of in and out of car and patients homes.. Any and all feedback will be much appreciated.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    So you've lost 10lbs in 7 weeks, your clothes are loose, but you're discouraged?

Sounds like you're doing fine to me....

You mention being hungry, and confused about calories though. How many calories are you eating? How are you determining your intake (weigh/measure or eyeballing/guessing?). What does mfp recommend you eat?
  • lplanck4
    lplanck4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was doing the recommended amount of calories based on age, wt and sex which came to 1770, and I put activity level at- active, based on the amount of my workout activity, but then I read on another thread that recommended that person change to sedentary so I did because most of my day is in and out of my car which isn't a ton of activity. So I set my calories to 1200 now, which I find hard to keep, but I'm thinking of trading lunch or breakfast for a protein shake. It just seems like the weight would come off faster. my workouts kick my caboose. As far as portion size I eyeball things. Also any great tips to combat stress and emotional eating??
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The only thing wrong is your expectations. You have lost a great amount in that timeframe. It is a marathon, not a sprint! Keep at it!!
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    lplanck4 wrote: »
    I was doing the recommended amount of calories based on age, wt and sex which came to 1770, and I put activity level at- active, based on the amount of my workout activity, but then I read on another thread that recommended that person change to sedentary so I did because most of my day is in and out of my car which isn't a ton of activity. So I set my calories to 1200 now, which I find hard to keep, but I'm thinking of trading lunch or breakfast for a protein shake. It just seems like the weight would come off faster. my workouts kick my caboose. As far as portion size I eyeball things. Also any great tips to combat stress and emotional eating??

This is your problem. If you got a kitchen scale you would find that your eyeballs were lying to you.

As for stress, take some time to evaluate how you are dealing with it. ITs not helping and its not healthy. its making your situation worse. The more you eat about being stressed you get more stressed about over eating. its like cigarettes, people smoke to relax themselves, but the reality is it has been clinically proven to INCREASE stress and anxiety. its just the chemicals that you are addicted to. Same with food, it could be something , sugar, salt that you gravitate to as well. Figure out what it is and buy less of it so that its not as easily available in a stressful time.

Then pick up a new stress release hobby, surely there is something you want to do that you always put off. Get out there and do it, Boxing, Dancing, reading. :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Great work and results, starting an exercise program.

Exercise rarely has weight loss as a side effect - usually water weight gain for many reasons.
    Good water weight as LBM gain, increase your metabolism type of gain.

That's why inches are going down more than scale.

And don't imagine it'll be better to be defined by the scale - which no one sees unless you invite them in while weighing naked in the morning, or you wear a sign around your neck stating current and goal weight.

Sounds to me they would see lost inches.

Your job - sure hope you didn't dishonestly tag yourself as Sedentary daily activity level.
    Sure hope you are honestly logging your exercise.

You do more you eat more.
    You do less you eat less.

In a diet a tad less in either case. Life lesson there.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Your job is not sedentary - changing this will give you more calories
    Exercise should be added on top of your normal daily activity - adding this will give you more calories (but many people recommend only eating half back as calorie burns can be exaggerated)

Eyeballing food however, is likely to mean you're eating more than you think. Get a scale. Weigh all solids and measure all liquids. Check your database entries. There is no reason to have a shake instead of real food - to me that isn't satisfying, satiating or sustainable.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in 7 weeks is not slow. That's over a lb a week. Just make sure you are logging every little thing honestly and consistently, and you'll be fine. It's not healthy to lose at a fast rate (no faster than 2 lbs/month).

I've only lost 8 lbs in 6 months. Now me, MY loss is painfully slow and frustrating.
  • msjodi777
    msjodi777 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To lplanck4

Coming late to this party, I know, but I just want to say you should NOT be discouraged. I joined a gym, and started working out, and after 2 days at it, wound up in the hospital with afib - totally NOT because I was going to the gym. The meds were changed, and I had all my doctors' permissions so I went back to the gym when I got out of the hospital.

Since that time, like you, I go at least 5 or 6 times a week, and work out about an hour and a half most days. Since I got out of the hospital, I have gained (yes, I did say gained) 23 pounds! aaarrrggghhhh.... Some of the gain is because the fat is being turned into muscle which weighs more, but come on... an extra 23 pounds worth... sigh... if it weren't for the support of the folks at the gym, I would be discouraged too. But for some idiotic reason, I'm not... So, next time you get discouraged, just think of me, and tell yourself at least you are losing weight, and you are glad that I found it for you... one of these days, soon (I hope) I will figure out where to put all that extra weight that I seem to keep finding, and stick it there, so I don't have to carry it around any more either.

Keep up the good work! You can do it! <><
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Your problem is eyeballing portions. Get a digital food scale, weigh and measure everything you eat and drink. I think you'll be surprised.
  • awildwomanatheart
    awildwomanatheart Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is why so many of us get discouraged, because we look more to the scale then the overall picture. The fact that you've lost what you have already is AMAZING! You should only lose about 1-2lb per week. Also muscle weighs more than fat, period. Just because the scale doesn't budge, doesn't mean you're not losing fat. It most likely means you're gaining muscle, which is a good thing.

For me personally, I weigh and measure everything. It really helps me in terms of diet. Exercise I go day by day how I feel. I strive for at least an hour, but the type varies; and as far as your overall outlook, don't look so much at the number, but go by how you feel and what has already been proven. More energy, less pain...awesome. Loose fitting clothes, more stamina...awesome. Seeing your body visibly shrink and tone in all areas...awesome. Shift your perspective and it will help a lot. Don't be discouraged, you're doing great! Keep up the good work, you got this!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    msjodi777 wrote: »
    To lplanck4

Coming late to this party, I know, but I just want to say you should NOT be discouraged. I joined a gym, and started working out, and after 2 days at it, wound up in the hospital with afib - totally NOT because I was going to the gym. The meds were changed, and I had all my doctors' permissions so I went back to the gym when I got out of the hospital.

Since that time, like you, I go at least 5 or 6 times a week, and work out about an hour and a half most days. Since I got out of the hospital, I have gained (yes, I did say gained) 23 pounds! aaarrrggghhhh.... Some of the gain is because the fat is being turned into muscle which weighs more, but come on... an extra 23 pounds worth... sigh... if it weren't for the support of the folks at the gym, I would be discouraged too. But for some idiotic reason, I'm not... So, next time you get discouraged, just think of me, and tell yourself at least you are losing weight, and you are glad that I found it for you... one of these days, soon (I hope) I will figure out where to put all that extra weight that I seem to keep finding, and stick it there, so I don't have to carry it around any more either.

Keep up the good work! You can do it! <><

Encouraging - but also full of so much confusing myths that should be corrected in your own mind - besides those that might read it.

1.5 hrs mostly in gym likely means doing cardio. Just a guess, could be wrong.

Fat does NOT turn into muscle (fat can be lost a whole last faster than muscle can be gained too).

And muscle weighs the same as fat (a lb is a lb the whole world around, for those that use lb's anyway still).

Depending on time period for that 23 lb gain and what it was, could have been water weight from medical and stress conditions. If not doing a good progressive overload routine, then it wasn't muscle at it's max rate of gain.

Hope you figure out what the issue is - but leaving the myths out of the investigation process may help better to know.