What's the best way to break a plateau

Options
I started my weight loss journey 85 days ago. Loss about 32.8 lbs already. Well Ive haven't really lost any in the last three weeks maybe a pound. Ive been almost strictly cardio with squats and push ups. Should I add more strength exercises to tone up what Ive lost already or step up and switch what cardio Im doing mostly just biking (6 miles a day) running (7 minutes) its harder for me to run with asthma but Im working on it. And plain jane walking everywhere possible. I want to lose my goal of 50lbs lost + Its my starter goal not my final goal

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You've mentioned nothing about logging your food on here and making sure you're in a calorie deficit. Are you doing that?
  • mynewme210
    mynewme210 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am sorry about that I log my intake daily eat roughly 1000 calories to 1200 calories a day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That's not a plateau at all. A plateau would be not losing anything (0.00 lbs) over the course of a menstrual cycle or 6+ weeks if you don't have a period. Normally I would say to keep doing what you are doing but in your case I would add resistance training and likely up calories in order to have more aesthetically pleasing results but YMMV.
  • wg_12988
    wg_12988 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on your weight loss of 32.8 lbs, great job! My recommendation would be, try not to be under 1200 because that's when your body will start to retain what you consume. Also, I would recommend starting to add strength training to your work out so you can start building muscle. Muscle tends to help you burn fat much faster.
  • malibu927
    Options
    wg_12988 wrote: »
    First of all congrats on your weight loss of 32.8 lbs, great job! My recommendation would be, try not to be under 1200 because that's when your body will start to retain what you consume. Also, I would recommend starting to add strength training to your work out so you can start building muscle. Muscle tends to help you burn fat much faster.

Nope. There are many reasons the OP should up her calories to 1200 or more (logged accurately), but the body will not retain weight, nor will it build muscle, while eating such low calories.
  • mynewme210
    Options
    Thanks for the information just seems like everything has stopped. I normally find it hard to eat that many calories as it is Im not a huge eater.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    mynewme210 wrote: »
    Thanks for the information just seems like everything has stopped. I normally find it hard to eat that many calories as it is Im not a huge eater.

you have to be a fairly decent eater or you wouldn't have the need to lose weight...esp over 40lbs.
  • malibu927
    Options

You do need to up your intake. You're losing about 3 pounds a week, which is extremely aggressive. Make sure everything is logged as accurately as possible (i.e. using a food scale) and if you still can't hit your goal, add in some calorie dense foods to get there.
  • mynewme210
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

you have to be a fairly decent eater or you wouldn't have the need to lose weight...esp over 40lbs.

I use to eat one meal a day then drink alot soda (2 3 litter bottles a day)and. 2 pots of coffee with six tablespoons of sugar in each cup then sleep for over three years due to depression and twisted realtionship And have always been bigger growing up 15-20 overweight for my age group. I started to be inactive and nasty eating habbit consuming to much sugar and carbs and gain weight afterwards.
  • mynewme210
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

You do need to up your intake. You're losing about 3 pounds a week, which is extremely aggressive. Make sure everything is logged as accurately as possible (i.e. using a food scale) and if you still can't hit your goal, add in some calorie dense foods to get there.

Im not thought. I cut almost all sugar out of my diet and lost five pounds then a constant 2 lbs a week and now I barely lose a pound a week. I need to invest in a food scale and find some healthy snacks to fill in the cracks. Thank you for postive feed back.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I use to eat one meal a day then drink alot soda (2 3 litter bottles a day)and. 2 pots of coffee with six tablespoons of sugar in each cup then sleep for over three years due to depression and twisted realtionship And have always been bigger growing up 15-20 overweight for my age group. I started to be inactive and nasty eating habbit consuming to much sugar and carbs and gain weight afterwards.

okay and ??? coffee and soda fill your belly probably more so than food so regardless you can consume lots of calories...regardless of how.

point is that if you are eating 1k calories and doing all that exercise and not losing 2-3lbs a week you are probably eating more than you think...

you need to log better.

• mynewme210
    Options

okay and ??? coffee and soda fill your belly probably more so than food so regardless you can consume lots of calories...regardless of how.

point is that if you are eating 1k calories and doing all that exercise and not losing 2-3lbs a week you are probably eating more than you think...

you need to log better.

Thats how I gain the weight^^^ Ive cut out all soda and cut myself back from the coffee. Filling myself with actual food and seen the progress with excessive workouts everyday. Lately I've noticed the weight loss stoping
  • SezxyStef
    Options

you need to log better.

Thats how I gain the weight^^^ Ive cut out all soda and cut myself back from the coffee. Filling myself with actual food and seen the progress with excessive workouts everyday. Lately I've noticed the weight loss stoping

I got that part and hence why I said...you are eating more than you think and need to log more accurately and consistently using a food scale and proper entries.

I expect if you open your diary there are lots of errors and omissions to be seen