Do you follow any specific form of eating (Vegan, LCHF, int. fasting, whole30, etc)?

I realize that it's 100% about calories in vs calories out. But I know people often follow certain styles or ways of eating that might HELP them meet their calorie and eating goals. I want to hear about them and why they work for you?

Some that pop into my head are intermittent fasting, ketogenics, vegan, clean eating, paleo, LCHF, etc).

What works for you and why?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

I am currently attempting to combine intermittent fasting and LCHF. I never want to eat till about 1pm or after dinner anyway so the fasting is easy. The LCHF seems really easy in theory (eat meats + veggies + healthy fats -- avoid pasta, grains, starchy veggies, processed foods). It's easy to shop for, cook, and eat. I don't crave that other stuff.

I am struggling a bit with finding easy lunches since I don't want to food prep or cook lunches. Need to find something I can just buy at walmart and throw in work fridge. Right now I don't know what to bring so I am succumbing to local fast food joints.

Replies

• MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    I'm Paleo-ish. Meaning I'm Paleo except for the occasional splurge item at a restaurant or party. I don't do it for the calories, really... it's more that I feel better when I eat this way, which is helping me to stay within my calorie limits. I don't have the blood sugar swings, cravings, or upset stomach that I had when I ate a "normal" diet.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I eat the same as I did before I lost weight. I haven't cut any foods out, but I have limited my intake on ones I ate more often that took me over my calories (fast food, desserts, etc.). I do intermittent fasting (14:10), but it's based on my work schedule.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I guess IIFYM. Just moderation really with an eye on protein. But I find that's in line with how I ate anyway so essentially nothing has changed aside from quantity.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    I eat foods I like in portions that fit my calorie goal. I do try to make sure and hit my protein goal, but other than that I eat the same things I ate before. I just have appropriate portions of those foods now.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    I try to stick with clean whole foods but splurge on chocolate lol. I read it's good to have a cheat day because it will help you not to gain weight after you lost it.

My friend wants me to do keto with her but personally I think carbs are needed like in fruits and potatoes or corn.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I try to eat in the proper portions for me. I have recently in the last few weeks begun to TRY IF (12:12) I want to work up to 14:10 it is a lot based on my work schedule.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    When I'm actively losing weight ...

I eat whatever I want to eat ... as long as it fits within my calorie limit.

I lean a bit toward vegetarian or Mediterranean but only because that's the kind of food I like, and I'm definitely not locked into any of that.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    Didn't realize that I was eating a paleo diet until recently.

Was just eating a hi protein/hi carb/lo gi and lo fat diet based on a 40P/40C/20F macro that turns out to have been mainly paleo.

Still eat some dairy and drink some booze but mainly stick to lean protein, fruits and veggies and stay away from starches and refined flour/sugar.

Lost 38# in 5 months and have maintaining my weight at 158 (+/-5) for the past 8. So, it works for me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I eat a diabetic diet out of habit because it is balanced. See also the US Choose Your Plate or the Canada Food Guide. One vegetarian dinner a week because I like variety. Oatmeal for breakfast honouring my Scottish roots.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    During my weight loss phase I did alternate day IF (JUDDD); for the transition period between weigh loss and maintenance I did a few months of 5:2IF, and then the first several years of maintenance that followed I did 16:8IF. Along with all of that I was a daily weigher, and I tracked my calorie intake either with paper and pen or some mental math with occasional spot checking here.

Now into my 4th year of maintenance I've changed focus and no longer do any form of IF, and instead I'm crafting my days around a base of 800g or more of veggies and fruit. I just found it too hard to fit that much into an IF window, so that's why I let IF go for the time being.

From that focus came a short lived experiment with a mostly whole foods, plant based diet, and then more recently my diet has evolved to a mostly whole foods, pescetarian woe, with ridiculous amounts of daily produce still included :D

I still weigh-in daily and I still do mental calorie math throughout the day, on top of starting to track all my veg/fruit intake here on mfp.
  • SemmaFin
    SemmaFin Posts: 7 Member
    I follow a mostly vegan diet. Mostly because I can't honestly say I'm vegan until I have abstained from animal products completely. It's a transitional process that I've been working towards slowly over the last two years. I want to be vegan because it's the best way of eating I've come across through all of my food research. The hippies may be on to something. Since attempting veganism, I've gained incredible energy, which I can feel throughout the day, especially when I work out. I use to have problems with muscle stiffness and IBS. Both have disappeared since the first two months my veganism. I believe that health and diet are directly related and that plant based nutrition with little to no animal products has the power to prevent and even reverse certain illnesses, like heart disease and diabetes.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    No formal diet, no. If I had to pick something it would be IIFYM but even that is a very loose interpretation, as I don't generally care where the macros fall as long as I'm satisfied and hit my protein minimum. My protein "goal" is actually set far higher than I care about. Mostly I follow simple calorie counting with a focus on protein and nutrient dense food.

My favourite foods tend to be on the healthy side. I would rather eat a bowl of fruit than a piece of cake.

While losing, I truly eat what pleases me but I keep in mind that if I want something calorie dense or less nutritionally sound, then I tend to be less satisfied.

I have a cupboard full of "junk food" that doesn't even tempt me most of the time. When it does, I consume a reasonable portion of it.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Specific Carbohydrate Diet. At least until my UC and GP are under control. Seems to be helping so far in terms of symptom relief. As for calories, I'm getting enough of them and maintaining for now. I wish I could eat more of a variety but for the time being, my digestive system says no.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I follow a set of eating rules that I find simple and flexible. I make exceptions, but not so often that the exceptions becomes the rule. My rules don't fall into any particular or "named" style. In fact, I deeply resent attaching a label to my eating.

I eat anything I want, but not all the time, and not everything at once.

I eat real food. I cook a lot from scatch. I plan my meals and I aim for tasty, easy, cheap, balanced and varied. I shop purposefully. I don't stock up on foods I have trouble moderating. But I don't demonize anything. I just prefer food I can eat to satiety. I love the food that loves me back.

I eat meals, and only at meals.
    I wait until I'm hungry.
    I portion out appropriate amounts, and stop eating when I've eaten the food I served myself.
    Most days I will eat three meals, and eat all my meals 3-4 hours apart.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited July 2017
    My goal is to someday eat intuitively and everything in moderation. But I suck at moderation so until I reach maintenance and can tackle that huge behavior change, here's what's working for me:

- Meal timing (call it IF if you like)!
    - My main meal of the day is day a primal or whole 30 style plate.
    - Lots of high volume-low calorie foods
    - A protein goal every day
    - A "food freedom" mentality to fit in worth-it foods and drinks that don't mess with my system. I have to be careful with this last one but so far, so good.
    - Above all, CI/CO over the week
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    No, I just try to focus on balanced and nutrition stuff I enjoy that keep me full. I eat a lot of lean meats, seafood, eggs, vegetables, whole grains, fresh fruits, and dairy. I typically avoid fried foods, excess sugar, liquid calories, and anything I just don't like.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    16:8 IF and the majority of my foods being whole or minimally processed. No highly refined junk food, fast food, soda, or other caloric drinks (besides the occasional beer). I don't track calories or macros. If I need to lose, I sub out more veggies for other caloric dense foods, if I need to gain, vice versa. It's quite simple.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    I've been kosher all my life and vegetarian since I was 19 (I'm now 45). Within those restrictions, I shoot for overall healthy food with some room for treats and indulgences.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    I low carb, but am not that strict about it. Right now I've added back in a serving or two of fruit per day (that plus lots of veg, some nuts, and some dairy, occasional beans are currently my only significant sources of carbs, so I still tend to be around 100 g, but am that concerned about it. This is all about what makes me feel more satisfied -- I find having more fat helps me. When I start getting corn in my CSA box, I'm eating it, though -- I love local, in-season corn, just as I can't pass up local, in-season fruit. Beyond that, I mostly cook from whole foods, but I did that before I cared about calories.

What is more important to me is eating three meals, not snacking. I find I'm more satisfied and tend to naturally eat a lot less if I only eat regular meals and don't snack or graze and I don't feel any desire to eat more often than I do. (I do enjoy eating in the morning, so breakfast is one of my meals.)
    I am struggling a bit with finding easy lunches since I don't want to food prep or cook lunches. Need to find something I can just buy at walmart and throw in work fridge. Right now I don't know what to bring so I am succumbing to local fast food joints.

Rather than food prep I often just make extra when I make dinner and bring that for lunch. I have tupperware containers and pack it up immediately so it's ready to go. Even more common is a salad with protein. I might bring it (I have some olive oil and vinegar at my office I can mix up!), but there are also a few places around me that have good prepared salads or, even better, a good self-serve salad bars I can use (like you'd see in a grocery store, but with more protein options).
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I am a volume eater who skips breakfast. Is that a way of eating? High protein, moderate fat, moderate carbs.