Do you follow any specific form of eating (Vegan, LCHF, int. fasting, whole30, etc)?

Options
2»

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I find that if I deny myself a certain food group, I obsess about how good or bad it is. This equals a huge binge eventually. I have the same mentality about not "allowing" myself to eat at certain times.

I do much better eating a realistically healthy and moderate diet -- snacking when I am hungry. I have also learned to forgive myself for "slip-ups" and look at the long term weight and fitness trends.

I was in the YoYo diet - you must look good by bathing suit season - you are weak if you fail - mentality for so long. It is awesome to be off that diet shame train.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, but it's not for calorie-control reasons. It's an ethical thing.
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    16:8 IF, normally whole foods based, but I do eat junk when I want it as well.

Doing 2 BIG meals and a snack just works better for me than 6 much smaller meals. I like to be very full rather than always some amount of hungry.
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    MidModJenn wrote: »
    I'm Paleo-ish. Meaning I'm Paleo except for the occasional splurge item at a restaurant or party. I don't do it for the calories, really... it's more that I feel better when I eat this way, which is helping me to stay within my calorie limits. I don't have the blood sugar swings, cravings, or upset stomach that I had when I ate a "normal" diet.

This is me exactly only with keto. I lost 15 lbs so far when I have not seen the scale budge in years.
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I do a modified keto diet and IF 6:18 and so far it has been perfect for me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Flexible eating... Aiming for higher protein and balanced nutrition. Love to cook and eat different foods. I am also doing a really sloppy version of calorie cycling atm
  • donsred
    donsred Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian since about 2005, and vegan about three years. When I went vegetarian I lost about 10 pounds instantly, without trying. Unfortunately, going vegan didn't do the same thing, or I wouldn't be on here, trying to lose those LAST 10 POUNDS. I also eat whole foods as much as possible, and drink a green smoothie every morning. Now THAT was a good idea. I'm hypoglycemic, and I can go longer without eating now, and I don't get sick as quickly if I take longer to eat.
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Saw a documentary lately that was pushing turning to a vegan diet. Have a friend that the pounds are falling off of eating that way. Plus he feels better about himself which is a plus. He mentioned the crazy new energy he has. Not sure I could go to all plant based diet though - would be a BIG step for my wife and I. We like super easy simple cooking (meat into pan + veggies steamed = start eating). I feel like vegan or even vegetarian would take a lot more effort. Right now we are low effort and that helps us stick to our plan. We fall off the wagon when things get tough, tedious, time consuming.

Maybe there is a book out there that is "easy 10 minute vegetarian/vegan meals that still taste like meat" or something - ha ha.

My doctor suggested eating KETO (LCHF) to ward off future possible diabetes. It runs in family and with me being 298+lbs. He said it's the "diabetes cure diet" he suggests to his patients and that he sees a lot of people cure their own diabetes with it.

Just eating in moderation and calorie counting has never worked in 15 years of trying. Having a simple, fast, designated planned way of eating always really helped us. Lost 26lbs so far - more to come!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If I can make a lunch suggestion, I'm really into the "adult lunchables" that have been getting popular recently. I generally put together my own version in the morning, but you can buy them pre-made all over the place - Hormel's Natural Choice are my favorite, or Oscar Meyer p3 Protein Packs. Depending on how much you eat for lunch, you could add some fruit or crackers that are easy to keep on hand. My "diet" mainly consists of whole or moderately processed foods, which is what I prefer to eat anyhow!
  • monica_delarosa
    monica_delarosa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be vegan. I saw Forks Over Knives and it inspired me. For now I am vegan about five days a week. On my good days for breakfast I am having a bowl of diced fruit. For lunch rice noodle soup with lentils and lots of veggies. For dinner a rice bowl with black beans and lots of veggies.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I realize that it's 100% about calories in vs calories out. But I know people often follow certain styles or ways of eating that might HELP them meet their calorie and eating goals. I want to hear about them and why they work for you?

Some that pop into my head are intermittent fasting, ketogenics, vegan, clean eating, paleo, LCHF, etc).

What works for you and why?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

I am currently attempting to combine intermittent fasting and LCHF. I never want to eat till about 1pm or after dinner anyway so the fasting is easy. The LCHF seems really easy in theory (eat meats + veggies + healthy fats -- avoid pasta, grains, starchy veggies, processed foods). It's easy to shop for, cook, and eat. I don't crave that other stuff.

I am struggling a bit with finding easy lunches since I don't want to food prep or cook lunches. Need to find something I can just buy at walmart and throw in work fridge. Right now I don't know what to bring so I am succumbing to local fast food joints.

Same, LCHF for a lot of the reasons you said. In November it will be two years.

No crazy blood sugar swings, less cravings, eating less processed stuff and more whole foods, I have more energy, my eczema is under control (almost no flare ups except if I have a few higher carb days in a row - bye, lotions/creams!).

Easy LCHF lunches - salads, hard boiled eggs, lunch meat, cheese, nuts/seeds, protein bars/shakes. bulletproof coffee.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My doctors put me on a ketogenic / LCHF diet when I was well over 300 lbs and some scary blood work. That along with CICO has helped me drop to less than half my previous size and close to a normal BMI after being super morbidly obese for my entire adult life. My blood work is perfect so I'm doing my best to stay the course. It's become pretty easy to be honest and I don't feel deprived or have crazy cravings, which I guess is why it works for me.