dreaded belly fat

Options
I am overweight and making changes in my diet and exercise. There is a topic I keep hearing about and I admittedly don't know much about, and that's belly fat bloat and sludge.

1) Sounds disgusting
2) there are "fixes", ranging from fasting, juicing, to specialized programs

I've lost 20 lbs in 4 weeks just by adding very minor cardio (biking and walking, 4-5 miles/1-3 miles respectively) daily to my routine, along with my daily lifestyle. But I didn't seem to lose very much in the way of inches. Pretty much just 1" across the chest, hips, and waist.

Is there a way to target the midsection to aggressively reduce the belly?

Replies

• BattleRopes
    BattleRopes Posts: 128 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Unfortunately only, via surgery!

claird2706 wrote: »
    I am overweight and making changes in my diet and exercise. There is a topic I keep hearing about and I admittedly don't know much about, and that's belly fat bloat and sludge.

1) Sounds disgusting

I've lost 20 lbs in 4 weeks just by adding very minor cardio (biking and walking, 4-5 miles/1-3 miles respectively) daily to my routine, along with my daily lifestyle. But I didn't seem to lose very much in the way of inches. Pretty much just 1" across the chest, hips, and waist.

The bold's a myth!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

1) Sounds disgusting

There isn't, you just have to keep burning more calories than you put in. It will come off in time. Be patient, 4 weeks is a very short amount of time.
  • tkahline
    tkahline Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree, just give it time. Women will typically lose belly fat last...it's genetics and you can't do anything about that except keep plugging away.

As far as sludge (I'm assuming you are talking about in the colon)-there's no such thing. The colon is a remarkable organ that is able to clean itself (if you are pooping, then your colon is cleaning). If your colon is diseased and stops working, then you have bigger problems to worry about (necrosis, etc.) If you have a sluggish digestive system (typically caused by IBS, Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, narcotic use, spinal cord or brain injury), then you have to help it along. As long as you are having bowel movements that are regular for you, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

For bloating, you have to determine if it really is bloating, or you are just seeing belly fat. Bloating has many causes: excess fiber and/or salt, food sensitivities and/or allergies, medications, gassy foods, etc. You can especially get bloated during that time of the month.
  • sedj241
    sedj241 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice given. I would like to add that 20 lbs in 4 weeks in pretty good, but slow weight lost is good weight lost, that equals to permanent weight lost. It also gives your skin time to snap back in place when you lose weight slowly, you can avoid having the sagging skin from losing weight too quickly... Just give it time and you will get the results you're looking for!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Patience. You can't spot reduce it'll melt away when it decides it's ready...sadly
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    You can however tone the muscle beneath and this will improve the shape of the area, it'll still be a bit flabby, but will certainly help when you look in the mirror.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is make sure you're including your core in your workout routine, beyond that you'll just have to restrict calories until you lose the fat in the midsection. I've been at this for over 2 years, hit my goal weight, went 12lbs below it, and destroy my core at least 4 days a week. I have a heck of a six pack started but it's still covered by some loose skin and a tiny bit of fat. No amount of muscle underneath the fat will make your abs flatter or show more. So building muscle in your core won't help, but it will make things pleasing to look at once you do lose the fat down the road, so there's no reason to ignore your core while working out. The loose skin, depending on your age and length of time you spent overweight may never go away without surgery. It'll get better but that's about all I can ask for at my age (47). I know that if I go back on a serious cut for a couple months I probably could make the abs pop out, but it's not my current priority. Building upper body strength is more important to me right now, and that isn't as easily done in a deficit. None of the shortcuts you hear about will cause the fat in your midsection to burn first. It just doesn't work that way. Good luck!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

1) Sounds disgusting

20lbs in 4 weeks is incredibly aggressive, a little too aggressive. How much are you eating per day to achieve that kind of a number?
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Sadly you cannot target specific areas to remove fat from quickly or faster, it goes when it wants to go, you just have to be patient
  • claird2706
    claird2706 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

1) Sounds disgusting

20lbs in 4 weeks is incredibly aggressive, a little too aggressive. How much are you eating per day to achieve that kind of a number?

I have an hour commute to work and I would frequently stop and grab a fountain drink and chips. Eliminating that combined with eating out less and switching the foods I eat for lunch at work (chicken and veggies vs some fast food alternative) and an uptick in my exercise and those are my results. I really have been vigilant on my overeating and snacking. I'm definitely not starving myself by any means.
  • chafoxeymitchner
    chafoxeymitchner Posts: 23 Member
    Options

1) Sounds disgusting

There isn't, you just have to keep burning more calories than you put in. It will come off in time. Be patient, 4 weeks is a very short amount of time.

Do we really eat the calories back that we have worked off?
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options

1) Sounds disgusting

Do we really eat the calories back that we have worked off?

Normally, yes, to keep your overall net calories for the day in a safe range for fuelling your body's vital functions!
    Basically (gross over simplification coming up), unless you're under medical supervision, net calories shouldn't come in under 1,200 for most people.