Struggling with Cardio!

Options
2»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    okay thank you everyone, i really appreciate the adcvice! ill look into doing a class at my gym or doing swimming perhaps

Or both!

And also ... is it summer where you are? Do you have a beach or hiking trails or something? If so, go for hikes, go swimming at the beach, run on the beach, see if there's a hiking club or cycling club in your area and do some hikes or rides with them. If you like swimming, see if there's a triathlon club and do a Try-a-Tri ...

There are lots of things you can do.

Personally, I love cycling and hiking ... mostly cycling, but I throw some hiking in there for a bit of variety. :)

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Steady state cardio is not that helpful for either health or weight loss. Humans aren't meant to do boring repetitive movements. You are correct that hours on a treadmill are a waste of your time.

When you say "steady state cardio is not that helpful for either health or weight loss" is that because it is "boring?" Regardless if "Steady state cardio" is boring or not, I disagree with the statement.

Let me tell you what looks like hell to me. I watched about 3 mins of a "crossfit competition" the other day. I watched people jump on top of a box, and then down, and then back on top of the box, then back down. And just about the time I fell asleep, they moved on to picking up a medicine ball off the floor, over their shoulder and letting it drop on the floor. They then proceeded to turn around, pick up the medicine ball, over their shoulder again - wash, rinse, repeat. It's hard to imagine a more appropriate comparison to sisyphus.

No, it's because it doesn't burn many calories and studies show it's one of the least efficient ways to improve health markers. Crossfit sounds like hell to me too, but if you can avoid injuries or rhabdo it's an intense enough workout to make much more of a difference to your body than ten million miles on a treadmill ever could.

It really does depend to a great deal on duration!
    Come for an all day cycle ride and tell me it doesn't burn many calories.....

Audax events are sometimes called (not entirely jokingly) "eating competitions held in beautiful countryside". :smiley:

At a conservative 500 cals an hour my cycle riding so far this year has burned 83,500 calories.

Hmmm ... that got me wondering ...

If I burned 500 cal/hour, I've burned 115,000 calories cycling this year ... at an even more conservative 400 cal/hour, it's 92,000 calories.

But I'm one of those Audax people. :grin:

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio. I have no cardio goals. I hate jumping around, moving fast, sweating.

Luckily my goals are strength and physique based so I get by with minimal cardio.

Once in awhile I know I should burn some calories so there are a few things I don't hate with a passion...like kickboxing. I'll take a spin class like 3x per year.

Otherwise I just try to keep my NEAT up and not go below 12k steps per day.

My lack of cardio can make it hard to lose weight as I get super lean, and it makes my TDEE kind of low. Though these are both a pain, they have never pushed me to do cardio consistently.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Steady state cardio is not that helpful for either health or weight loss. Humans aren't meant to do boring repetitive movements. You are correct that hours on a treadmill are a waste of your time.

When you say "steady state cardio is not that helpful for either health or weight loss" is that because it is "boring?" Regardless if "Steady state cardio" is boring or not, I disagree with the statement.

Let me tell you what looks like hell to me. I watched about 3 mins of a "crossfit competition" the other day. I watched people jump on top of a box, and then down, and then back on top of the box, then back down. And just about the time I fell asleep, they moved on to picking up a medicine ball off the floor, over their shoulder and letting it drop on the floor. They then proceeded to turn around, pick up the medicine ball, over their shoulder again - wash, rinse, repeat. It's hard to imagine a more appropriate comparison to sisyphus.

No, it's because it doesn't burn many calories and studies show it's one of the least efficient ways to improve health markers. Crossfit sounds like hell to me too, but if you can avoid injuries or rhabdo it's an intense enough workout to make much more of a difference to your body than ten million miles on a treadmill ever could.

It really does depend to a great deal on duration!
    Come for an all day cycle ride and tell me it doesn't burn many calories.....

Audax events are sometimes called (not entirely jokingly) "eating competitions held in beautiful countryside". :smiley:

At a conservative 500 cals an hour my cycle riding so far this year has burned 83,500 calories.

Yeah, you can't skip the part where I said it wasn't an EFFICIENT way. Having to do it all day isn't what you would call efficient. It's great if you enjoy it for its own sake. If you don't, it's a huge time sink.

I get something like 20 miles to the taco. How is riding a bike not an efficient way to burn calories?
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Sorry, an EFFICIENT way.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    okay thank you everyone, i really appreciate the adcvice! ill look into doing a class at my gym or doing swimming perhaps

Yep, group classes are fun. Do they do Les Mills sessions at your gym?

You could also try:

Walking
    Hiking
    Running
    Trail running
    Sprinting
    Mountain Climbing
    Rock climbing
    Indoor rock climbing
    Walking on a treadmill
    Running on a treadmill
    Cycling
    Spin class
    Aerobics
    Zumba
    Tai Bo
    Les Mills Grit
    Les Mills Pump
    HIIT
    Elliptical trainer
    Ballet
    Tap Dancing
    Jazzercise
    Swimming
    Open water swimming
    Water aerobics
    Water jogging
    Kayaking
    Canoeing
    Surfing
    Bodyboarding
    Paragliding
    Football
    Australian Rules Football
    Soccer
    Basketball
    Netball
    Tennis
    Squash
    Lacrosse
    Hockey
    Ice Hockey
    Boxing
    Burpees
    Plyometrics
    Skiing
    Snowboarding
    Gardening
    Raking leaves
    Rollerblading
    Skateboarding
    Ice skating
    Rollerskating

To name a few.
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I find these kinds of threads interesting. I just went into my workout room to do a strength training session, stood in there for 5 minutes or so, and said "screw it" and walked out. Because the thought of picking up and putting down the heavy things over and over for 45 minutes made me want to scream. That, to me, is boring. I like the benefits of it, obviously. But it's so repetitive. SO BORING!!! There's a zillion ways to to cardio!

*For the record, I will find my motivation and get my workout later. Hopefully.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As was said above, GO OUTSIDE. Zwift helps with inside workouts but even there I can't do much more than an hour inside. But when outside riding my bicycle around town I can put in four of five hours without thinking about it.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options

What health markers are you talking about? You're just kind of throwing turds on the wall here....
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips to stay motivated to do cardio exercise? I also find I barley burn any calories when doing it anyway so I feel as though it's a waste of time

Nothing burns calories more reliably or quickly than steady-state cardio. But if you hate it - you aren't likely to stick to it anyway - so limit it to a couple of 3km runs a week and spend your time doing an exercise more enjoyable for you.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Plug earbuds into your phone and watch fun stuff on youtube or amazon video while working out.
  • mdunning86
    mdunning86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always do the elliptical, it burns a lot of calories and you can sit your phone to watch a movie or YouTube videos. Whats key is to not look at the time remaining but to look at your calories burned to stay motivated
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I like taking my bike on scenic roads with little traffic.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if you are inside - put an audiobook on while on the treadmill/elliptical etc - helps me get through long runs
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Try classes and see what you like. I find that whenever i'm listening to good music, I'm having fun--walking, hiking, dancing (dont recommend biking with earphones on the road though). I like zumba but I also take another dance class that is more flow/ballet/jazz fusion.

I have friends who listen to podcasts, etc, too while working out.

We have a treadmill at home, gosh it is boring, but sometimes if I need to get some steps in and move my body I'll hoard my fave shows (usually watch only 1 hour a week or so anyway) for that.

walking/hiking with friends is fun. in the summer we kayak and paddle board. Until injuries I did rock climbing too. Not your typical cardio but i definitely got in shape--the climbing, but mostly the carrying 30 lbs of rope and cams and assorted stuff to the bottom of the route. We made up for it with beer later :).