Non-boring chicken recipes?

bribucks
bribucks Posts: 431 Member
I have lots of thighs & breasts and my freezer, so I'm looking for some new chicken recipes - lately it's been "same old, same old."

My usual go-to's are balsamic reduction; lemon-garlic; terriyaki; or burrito bowls. Getting tired of making the same things over and over, so I'm looking for some new and tasty chicken recipes to try out! I am new to this whole cooking thing, so easy & quick recipes are appreciated. Bonus points if you add what side dish you make with it!

Things my husband or I don't like:
mushrooms
mustard
curry
mayo
excessive amounts of peppers

Replies

• AshEvelynn
    AshEvelynn Posts: 205 Member
    If you are ok with spice, we do jerk chicken quite frequently...but we like spice. If you don't, you could add as little as you like and mix with bbq sauce until it is a temperature you can handle (spice wise). We pair this with asparagus on the BBQ. Toss with a little bit of olive oil, pepper (or whatever spices you want) and throw directly on the grill until it's as done as you want. We usually let the tips get crispy and the rest gets a nice char on it. Yum!
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    What kind of curries have you had and what don't you like about them? There's a whole wide world of spices and methods that go into curries, have you been able to pinpoint any particular ones you didn't like?

My method is usually to start with an ingredient and build out from there. An interesting basil chili paste I found at an Asian market became a whole Thai week.

Or start with a part of the world and build around that. My lunches this week started because I was in the mood for southwestern US flavors.
  • bribucks
    AshEvelynn wrote: »
    If you are ok with spice, we do jerk chicken quite frequently...but we like spice. If you don't, you could add as little as you like and mix with bbq sauce until it is a temperature you can handle (spice wise). We pair this with asparagus on the BBQ. Toss with a little bit of olive oil, pepper (or whatever spices you want) and throw directly on the grill until it's as done as you want. We usually let the tips get crispy and the rest gets a nice char on it. Yum!

Sounds delicious! Unfortunately we don't have a grill, but I'm sure I can sorta replicate this on the stove or in the oven.
  • bribucks
    What kind of curries have you had and what don't you like about them? There's a whole wide world of spices and methods that go into curries, have you been able to pinpoint any particular ones you didn't like?

My method is usually to start with an ingredient and build out from there. An interesting basil chili paste I found at an Asian market became a whole Thai week.

Or start with a part of the world and build around that. My lunches this week started because I was in the mood for southwestern US flavors.

To be fair, I have only had curry a couple of times. I actually didn't mind the taste too much - but my GI didn't like it!
  • daniiny567
    daniiny567 Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2017
    I like to stir fry my chicken with onions and other veggies until I get a combo I like. Then I pour over short grain brown rice and always have a side salad.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    - Schnitzel
    - Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs
    - Chicken Cacciatori - skip the peppers and the mushrooms.
    - Chicken Teriyaki
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Chicken thighs tossed in a light dressing of oil, minced garlic, marjoram and thyme leaves, lightly salted and peppered and then roasted in a casserole dish with 1 can of white kidney beans (cannelini, drained and rinsed) and 1 pint of grape tomatoes. Roast covered for about 30 minutes, uncover and cook for about 15 minutess longer to crisp the skin on the thighs. ... Yumm
  • cavatinne
    cavatinne Posts: 24 Member
    For boneless skinless thighs this is really good and you can make it ahead: Skinnytaste Sheet Pan Chicken: http://www.skinnytaste.com/sheetpan-italian-chicken-and-veggie-dinner/
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Giada's chicken piccata recipe is so easy and soooo delicious. I make it at least twice a month.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/chicken-piccata-recipe2-1913809
  • bribucks

This sounds delicious! I've tried a similar recipe where they were baked in the oven, but they came out soggy. Pan frying makes more sense!

• bribucks

Looks great! Hard to believe something that sounds so creamy is only 280 cal! :)
  • Lynn625
    Lynn625 Posts: 56 Member
    Great recipes.
  • CocoBmy
    CocoBmy Posts: 11 Member
    I use this tasty and healthy chimichurri marinade on chicken (steak and pork too!). My 10 year old calls it the "bomb sauce" and gets excited when she sees me making it. :)

In blender, add:
    1 bunch parsley leaves
    1 bunch cilantro leaves (thick stems removed)
    1-2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
    Juice of 1 lemon
    Juice of 1 lime
    1 tsp sea salt
    ½ tsp pepper
    2-3 garlic cloves
    ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

Blend all ingredients together till it's a bright green liquid marinade. Reserve 1/4 cup for drizzling or to marinate another dish. Marinate meat for at least 30 minutes or overnight (even better!). Grill, pan-fry, or bake choice of meat. Enjoy!
  • Perfection623
    Perfection623 Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2017
    I like to marinate chicken in Zesty italian dressing. I poke holes into the chicken and marinate it in a bowl with the dressing (enough to cover the chicken) in the morning and let it soak up all day, if I remember i'll stir the pieces around a bit. I bake them in a shallow dish (with a little bit of the dressing in the dish) on 350 starting skin side down and then halfway flip them skin side up, and when they are cooked. If I'm using skin on chicken I transfer them to a plate and discard what's in the pan, put the chicken back in the pan and turn the oven up to 375 (or use a low broil) and put them back in for a little bit until the skin crisps up a little bit. It has a great flavor and makes the chicken moist! Its delish with rice, or pasta and steamed broccoli. I love this for skinless chicken breast too, and make a grilled chicken salad with fresh greens, tomatoes, ect. Also great in the crock pot!!!
  • bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    I like to marinade chicken in fresh lemon and oranges , cilantro , tajin, fresh garlic, hot pepper flakes . Then grill
  • Purple_Dracholic
    Purple_Dracholic Posts: 29 Member
    I made a Baked Garlic Parmasean Chicken recipe tonight and my fiances daughters went back for seconds. My future in laws and fiancé also loved it. Of course I did too. I left out the black pepper due to my allergy to black pepper and it was not missed. I do think it could have used a little salt. I got it from allrecipes.com

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 cup dry bread crumbs
    2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
    1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
    6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

How to make

Prep
    15 m
    Cook
    30 m
    Ready In
    45 m
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
    In a bowl, blend the olive oil and garlic. In a separate bowl, mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, and pepper. Dip each chicken breast in the oil mixture, then in the bread crumb mixture. Arrange the coated chicken breasts in the prepared baking dish, and top with any remaining bread crumb mixture.
    Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
    Footnotes
    Tip
    Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.